1957 Rusted body mount braces

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
Was hoping maybe to get a bit of advice on a potential purchase I am considering of a 1957 T'bird here in Pennsylvania. The car is in great shape all around with exception of the body mount braces that are a bit compromised with rust. They are still serviceable but will need replacing if I purchase this vehicle. Is this a major issue to repair, and should I walk away from this car? If these are fixable what kind of costs would I be looking at. I know it is very hard to give an answer without seeing the car but any general advice that you might give would be appreciated. Thank you so much for your time, Craig

I changed your subject from

Considering purchase of a 1957 Tbird

To-

1957 Rusted body mount braces

Hello,
Was hoping maybe to get a bit of advice on a potential purchase I am considering of a 1957 T'bird here in Pennsylvania. The car is in great shape all around with exception of the body mount braces that are a bit compromised with rust. They are still serviceable but will need replacing if I purchase this vehicle. Is this a major issue to repair, and should I walk away from this car? If these are fixable what kind of costs would I be looking at. I know it is very hard to give an answer without seeing the car but any general advice that you might give would be appreciated. Thank you so much for your time, Craig
I think that any T bird is worth trying to repair. I feel that it may take a while but I would really think about it.

If those parts are rusted to that point, it would be a good idea to check for rust just about anywhere particularly places like rocker panels, rear quarters, around wheel openings. Take a look at the floors as well when you are at it. All can be replaced but the price tag starts to fall as the cost for replacement of sheet metal rises.

If those parts are rusted to that point, it would be a good idea to check for rust just about anywhere particularly places like rocker panels, rear quarters, around wheel openings. Take a look at the floors as well when you are at it. All can be replaced but the price tag starts to fall as the cost for replacement of sheet metal rises.
Thanks - The car had a frame-on restoration a number of years ago and rockers and sheet metal were all repaired or replaced and they are all very good and rust-free. For whatever reason they didn't address these braces. Shame as it is a very nice car otherwise.

Agree with what was already said regarding additional rust in floors. That said it depends on the price of the car and the cost of the repairs. I bought one needing floor and braces with rebuilt engine ( went to the shop myself) and automatic trans for under $4k

The metal used in the mounts must have been considerably thinner than what was used on the floors. My '56 has one mount that has rusted out (NY 'Bird since new), but the floor is sound. I have not found mounts for sale, but really haven't been looking. It is not a complicated piece, so if I can't find one for sale I'll likely just fabricate one.

The mounts can be replace, very time consuming and could be very costly unless you can do the work your self. You could expect anywhere from 5-10k for a professional shop to repair. So the price you pay should have that consideration. As said above there could be more areas that need repaired and if the gentleman that repaired the rest of the car left the body mounts go, can you guess what kind of repairs where made. Is this car white with a black soft top?

The mounts can be replace, very time consuming and could be very costly unless you can do the work your self. You could expect anywhere from 5-10k for a professional shop to repair. So the price you pay should have that consideration. As said above there could be more areas that need repaired and if the gentleman that repaired the rest of the car left the body mounts go, can you guess what kind of repairs where made. Is this car white with a black soft top?
Thanks for your advice - Yes, it is white with a white hardtop and a black soft top - local car to southeastern Pennsylvania. Craig

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the mounting and with as many measurements you could possibly send me.
Thanks. Bob

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the mounting and with as many measurements you could possibly send me.
Thanks. Bob

This is the only pic I have of the area in question and I have circled in red. The support is rusted short of its original length and the metal above the short end is a bit spongy as well. Seems to be about 4 of these, 2 on either side in question from what we can tell. Thanks for your help Bob. Craig

Attachments

• Pic for 57 Body Support Rust.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
I can see your problem. A company that I worked next to manufacturers parts for car and people used to send them parts and of cars and they would make a new part. I will check my car this weekend and see if there is a similar part on my T bird.

Thanks for your advice - Yes, it is white with a white hardtop and a black soft top - local car to southeastern Pennsylvania. Craig
I looked at a white one in eastern OH that had bad body mounts, the owner bought it based on pictures and was trying to recoup his money. The soft top had a bad repair and hard top needed restored

Back