Lost Rpm's | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Lost Rpm's

• Thread starter Thread starter tony millholen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tony millholen

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Has any one had this problem, I was driving on freeway and lost gas pedal use and the rpm's droped, it was almost like I was in Neutral.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Many dealers replaced the throttle body sensor on our retros, for this, and it did not help.

I went through this issue in detail over the last two months.
My wrench light went on and then the car lost all RPM's

When I took it to the dealer they quickely said Throttle Body system replacement, the part which is on backorder will cost you almost 700.00 plus the dealer cost to read the computer 130.00 for my dealer and the killer is that is not the problem.

George pointed me to all the material on COPs(Coil on plugs) go read these threads or my threads about Throttle Body.

So, when the dealer told me Throttle Body system and I went ahead and ordered that part I go to thinking...I should look for a forum and research this.
Thank god I did and thankfully I found this information.

I went back to my dealer with this information and demanded to talk to the service manager. He opened up my case and checked the computer service codes that my car threw and said it showed Throttle sensor, this is a 100.00 part instead of replacing the entire Throttle Body sysytem. So I had them replace this part, as I drove off the lot the car lost RPM's and went into nuetral.

I went right back to the service bay and demanded they perform the COPs tests.

A day later the service foreman told me that was exactly the issue, cylinder 6 was bad. He also told me that when a misfire like that happens it can cause
other false readings to occur, like the service codes that said I needed a new Throttle sensor.

Obtain the pdf files from this web site, print them off and demand to talk to the service a manager. Send me a PM and I will gladly go through this with you.
Good luck!

TB gals got it right. Many Ford dealers and others do not know anything about these cars. Remember there were only about 63/68,000 produced, worldwide.

The dealers that do know what's going on are generally the Lincoln dealers. That's because the drive train is Lincoln LS and there were many of these produced. For some, the Lincoln dealers are out of the way (many more Ford dealers) but believe me, I think you'll get less hassle and faster/accurate repair.
Just my opinion😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back