2005 acceleration issues after sitting 18 months

T

tony millholen

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Goodmorning Tbird family , I have a 2005 annv with only 44k miles I took it out to drive for the first time after a year in half. Driving was fine but after 5 miles it lost RPM's I took it to the dealer who has always serviced it .They told me it was the "throttle body" then after that work still the same problem so then it was the sensors still no better,now they say it's the Transmission . I have never used the select shift option ONLY the Automatic . They serviced the car a 147 miles ago before parking it. Has anyone else had the problems or have any idea's . I have had this car from the very beginning brand new so I know it has been well taken care of . I need help from our group please...
Thank you, Tony tbirdt Millholen

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Goodmorning Tbird family , I have a 2005 annv with only 44k miles I took it out to drive for the first time after a year in half. Driving was fine but after 5 miles it lost RPM's I took it to the dealer who has always serviced it .They told me it was the "throttle body" then after that work still the same problem so then it was the sensors still no better,now they say it's the Transmission . I have never used the manuel Transmission option ONLY the Automatic . They serviced the car a 147 miles ago before parking it. Has anyone else had the problems or have any idea's . I have had this car from the very beginning brand new so I know it has been well taken care of . I need help from our group please...
Maybe Ignition coils?

What I'd do next is take on the street and jump on it. If it acts like it want to leap but then just peters out it might just be starving for fuel. Plugged or water logged fuel filter

When you post to the forums use a subject that summarizes your post. How in the world will anyone know what the thread is about when you title it "2005" ? Post updated.

If you let your car sit for 18 months, it could be a number of issues. Any responses here based on the limited information provided are guesswork.

Why do you keep taking it back to the dealership? Obviously they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground if they are replacing parts that don't need replacing.
model-year.jpg

Last edited:
Goodmorning Tbird family , I have a 2005 annv with only 44k miles I took it out to drive for the first time after a year in half. Driving was fine but after 5 miles it lost RPM's I took it to the dealer who has always serviced it .They told me it was the "throttle body" then after that work still the same problem so then it was the sensors still no better,now they say it's the Transmission . I have never used the select shift option ONLY the Automatic . They serviced the car a 147 miles ago before parking it. Has anyone else had the problems or have any idea's . I have had this car from the very beginning brand new so I know it has been well taken care of . I need help from our group please...
Hi Tony, When a car is not driven in a long time the gas in the system has a bad effect on the cars performance. Some suggestions 1. fresh gas. 2. add a good fuel and injector cleaner to your tank and drive it. Should see improvement in 50>100 miles. 3. Check for a fuel filter clog. The best thing for a car is to drive it. Hopes this helps.

stay away from that dealer find a good independent mechanic educated guess is fuel related issue.can you see any evidence of rodent damage or of any that might have got into the car?look closely .a cheap Hail Mary is get all the old gas outta the tank or find someone who can and put fresh gas in there with some Techron fuel cleaner by chevron if your feeling motivated throw a new filter on it

As stated previously,, Drain the fuel tank, put fresh high octane gas and Techron cleaner in the fuel tank and DRIVE it

Most likely bad gas, Gas with ethanol has issues with the ethanol evaporating, and leaves water. Don't know what it do what it do, but its a known issue with ethanol additives in gas. Drain the tank, and add new gas, and drive it. That should solve the issue, but if not after driving at least a tank of gas, try using Chevron gas with Techron additive, also add the Techron additive concentrate into a empty tank, then fill up the the gas this will mix the additive thoroughly. The additive it will make the engine run a wee bit hotter, but not much, and the performance will also be lower while the additive does its thing, After the additive does its thing, another tank of gas without additives should solve your problem. I would also find another dealership, or switch to a tech that knows his stuff, because the service tech thats working on your car should have known this. I would use the additive about every 15,000 miles or so, do not use as a regular thing. I realize that would probably be a life time if you don't drive the car much. If your going to store the car for long periods of time, you might consider adding to gas "Stabil" which will help stabilize the gas while it sits with Ethanol.

Back