Front Electronic Module

E
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After being on this website the last few months I've seen a lot of problems being attributed to the "Front Electronic Module" and the scarcity of the part - now discontinued. I've had a lot of problems with my "Bird" and figure sooner or later with my luck this will go out. I thought I might buy the part to have on hand when mine goes out.

I've been playing around on the web and found a few places that say they have the part for a 2002 Tbird, but say it doesn't fit a 2003 like mine.

Can't believe the part wouldn't work on an 03. I thought the only difference between an 02 - 03 was the variable timing on the 03, and the Selective shift. Front Electronic Module "SHOULDN'T" have anything to do with that would it?

MODERATOR UPDATE! We've have had numerous complaints from members who had serious problems when purchasing a new FEM from Philip Wegener Thunderbird Specialties aka Powersport California Custom. See this page for details.

Read this thread for details about rebuilding your FEM- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/help-needed-front-electronic-module-fem.5560/

FEM Removal instructions attached.

Attachments

• FEM-Removal-Instructions.pdf
    440.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Really no help here. Mine is an 05' I replaced mine at 17,000 K. Expensive but it works. My suggestion is call one of these places and order by VIN#
I purchased mine from Flagship One in East Rockaway, NY.
Good luck,
Larry Scott
Atlanta

My 2002 developed the problem with the dash instruments and shifter indicator light problem. I had my FEM pulled by the local dealer (Reynolds Ford of Norman, OK) and shipped to ecmtogo.com. Once they got the module, they ran a diagnostic test and determined that the #1 pin was the problem. They also told me that they could not fix it. The part number for my original FEM is 1W6T 13B525 AH. The dealer told me that they could get another, but that it did not have the same part number, as that part was no longer available. I authorized the installation of the new module, and it worked perfectly. The new part is numbered 1W6Z 14B205 AA. The dealer had to flash the module with the original FEM program (S154), but it worked. The cost was $900 total, and I was glad to pay it as my car is fixed. ECM To Go was a complete bust.

Happy days!

Thank you guys! This info is priceless! I do have a question about where exactly it is? I love the pictures, but I'm no good with them, that's why I struggle with Ikea items, LOL! Is it under the kickplate, in front of it , or behind it? Any help greatly appreciated
Read the post right before the photos.

After being on this website the last few months I've seen a lot of problems being attributed to the "Front Electronic Module" and the scarcity of the part - now discontinued. I've had a lot of problems with my "Bird" and figure sooner or later with my luck this will go out. I thought I might buy the part to have on hand when mine goes out.

I've been playing around on the web and found a few places that say they have the part for a 2002 Tbird, but say it doesn't fit a 2003 like mine.

Can't believe the part wouldn't work on an 03. I thought the only difference between an 02 - 03 was the variable timing on the 03, and the Selective shift. Front Electronic Module "SHOULDN'T" have anything to do with that would it?
The instruments cluster controlled by the FEM is different in the 2003-5 . Ford calls the FEM " Lighting Module"

A search for a 2002 or 2001 Lincoln LS should come up with the same FEM module.

This is a sourced unit by Ford part is no longer available from them [OBSOLETE] No longer supplied by Ford so you need to supply a Vin # and the number off the module in your car, if the core needs replacing! You are taking a chance not supplying original [because of multiple sourcing on this particular part

where did you find the 2002 part?

where did you find the 2002 part?

Yellowbird - that was back in May when I originally posted that note. I've only looked around a few minutes but I can't find that piece of paper I wrote the info down on. I'll look some more and if I find it - I'll post it. It was from a Ford Dealer's website.

I had mine replaced at the dealer last year. I was able to keep the core. I am thinking of having mine rebuilt just to have a spare. It took the dealer just a day to get a replacement from their parts warehouse

After reading through multiple quotes on this site, I am somewhat relieved. My 2002 has been in the shop for more than 2 weeks. Ford believes they have isolated the problem to be the FEM and have had no luck locating another one. They believe this part, FEM, from a Jacquar may be my solution. Waiting on it to be shipped from NY; will not know until they try to install. Had no idea I wiuld be in this pickle.

After reading through multiple quotes on this site, I am somewhat relieved. My 2002 has been in the shop for more than 2 weeks. Ford believes they have isolated the problem to be the FEM and have had no luck locating another one. They believe this part, FEM, from a Jacquar may be my solution. Waiting on it to be shipped from NY; will not know until they try to install. Had no idea I wiuld be in this pickle.

You can get yours rebuilt.

Questions about my '02 Bird's FEM. My cluster panel and shifter console lights are not working. After searching these forums it seems to be a faulty FEM. Also, after many recommendations on these forums I have decided to send it to the fine folks at automotivemodules.com. Here are my questions. What tools are needed to remove the module? I'm assuming metric socket wrenches. What is disabled once the module is removed, is it still driveable? Thanks in advance for any help.

I understand it is still drivable but many things will not work. Look at tbirds post in this thread. He posted just about everything from the manual. I would get some plastic pry tools to pull off the panels.

I've kind of gotten in to the habit checking out new grips that might be coming down the road for my 2002. This one has me a tad stumped. What exactly happens when this modula fails?

Back