Front Electronic Module

Many dealers just send the modules off to this place: http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html
once they isolate a fault to a particular component; they have my instrument cluster right now for the '02. I have NO idea of the quality of their work but my fingers are crossed... You can remove modules and send them to this outfit yourself as well. I'm a new retro T-Bird owner but many have said you'll have more luck with Lincoln dealers for fault isolation as they've dealt so much with the Lincoln LS that shares much of the same design.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 2 cents about Thunderbird Specialties and Philip Wegener - cheat and crook, don't by anything from this company!

Our 2002 T-Bird wouldn't start this spring, it would just crank over but not start. I just thought it was a low battery even though the tender is on and it shows it was charging just fine. I began some self diag thinking it was maybe a fuse or relay, have spares on hand, replaced each that it could be but still nothing. I looked around on the internet and after lots of reading it sounded like it could the REM module. Figuring it was beyond what I could fix, I put the T-Bird on the trailer and took to Bison Ford in Great Falls Montana, my local dealership who I have bought many many cars from. They diagnosed it and said it was either the REM or fuel pump, it acted just like the owners 2 T-Birds and his daughters T-Bird when their REMs went out. I said lets start with the fuel pump and that wasn't it so it looked to be the REM was bad. They used to send to a place in Detroit but they don't fix these anymore and at the time there wasn't any available from Ford. So we began a horrible route of trying to contact this company to fix. We sent the REM to Philip in agreement he could repair it, for an original cost of around $1100 though his website said charges began at only $250. Here is where everything went south...... After he received the REM in early June he didn't try to fix or repair, we mailed him multiple times and received no reply, we began to worry if this was a legit company, more on that later. Finally in late July/early August he replied saying he couldn't fix it but gave no answer as to why, don't think he even tried to repair it, he said for another $200 plus additional costs he could get a reman REM from Ford, now we were really confused, as Ford said none where available. Bison looked at their site and oddly they showed some were now available, we tried to order one, but couldn't as Philip locked up my VIN with a dealership in NC trying to get one ordered. We contacted dealer and said here is what Philip is trying to pull, they agreed that once they received my REM from him, they would ship the new REM directly to us, well he never sent my original REM to them and still has it. After some time of working with Ford, they released my VIN so we could do an order for a REM through Bison, after a few weeks we received the REM and our T-Bird is running again, with no help from Philip Wegener or Thunderspecialties.com. We have sent messages to him only to have him state that during the summer he sent mails to Bison and they never replied to him, he considers the matter closed but I have communicated with him that how can you consider it closed when you are still holding onto my REM and won't return it.

Long and detailed but after this encounter and hearing of others who have had similar encounters, I'd steer clear of Thunderbird Specialties and Philip Wegener, he will cheat you out and never get you your parts you paid for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel about the same with that MidWesTecKmart outfit in Michigan...went through several phone calls to send him my '02 instrument cluster and arrange payment and finally got it sent off to him. Two weeks later when he finally gets around to looking at it he calls me (heavy foreign accent) and tells me cluster has been (hot wired) to keep the dash lights on full time and he usually rejects such work but would try (try?) to fix it for $300-$400 but wouldn't guarantee it; I told him to send it back. He takes another week to mail it back....so the car has been "down" for 4 weeks.

I received it, put it on my workbench and reversed the Bubba changes and installed LEDs in place of all the bulbs in about 45 minutes myself installed the cluster and will reassemble the dash today. He is supposed to refund most of the fees since all he did was "diagnostics". Yeah right,,we'll see.
Modified_Cluster_2.jpg

Attachments

• Modified_Cluster_1_Marked.jpg
    Modified_Cluster_1_Marked.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
There is a wire wrapped around one of the bolts holding the FEM in place...Is that factory ? can you just pull it off?
Or what ?? It would be my luck it would short out something and be cremated on the spot.

Thanks JJ

You shouldn't be doing anything with the FEM and the battery connected first off...
I doubt the factory wrapped a wire around a mounting bolt and there is nothing in the FEM Workshop Manual removal instructions about such a wire. It appears to me Bubba was trying to get a ground wire connected to something.

Hello! I have a 2002 Tbird with a failing FEM. I found one on ebay with the same part number from a wrecked 02, which was advertised was tested and working fine. Just waiting for it to arrive. Does the replacement FEM need to be reprogrammed for my car or is it useable as is? Thanks!

No! Based another persons experience on here installing an '02 FEM without reprogramming it, I did the same thing on my 2002 last fall -- no reprogramming and NO issues. You'll have to do the usual battery disconnect routines...idling the car until its up to temp, then idling with the A/C on, then driving until the car relearns your style -- all this is in the owner's manual.

No! Based another persons experience on here installing an '02 FEM without reprogramming it, I did the same thing on my 2002 last fall -- no reprogramming and NO issues. You'll have to do the usual battery disconnect routines...idling the car until its up to temp, then idling with the A/C on, then driving until the car relearns your style -- all this is in the owner's manual.

Back