Front Electronic Module

I've kind of gotten in to the habit checking out new grips that might be coming down the road for my 2002. This one has me a tad stumped. What exactly happens when this modula fails?
Mine started with an oil light and when I checked the oil was fine. I went to get the oil changed and by then the light was off. Next the driver's window would not drop every now and then. Driving down the freeway, the wipers would wipe once and when I needed the wipers they did not come on. When I would get off the freeway, the steering remained stiff and would not return to normal every now and then. One morning driving to work at 4 am, the headlights turned off. They finally came back on after I pulled over and restarted the car.

Then I took my daughter out for a drive one night and when we got home, the top would not raise, the driver's window would not raise and the radio would not shut off even after taking the key out and opening the door. I pulled the battery cable and when I put it back on everything was fine. The final straw was when I dove to work one morning the lights went out, the windows would not drop and the radio would not shut off. I pulled the battery cable and that did not fix the problem.

I took the car to the Ford dealer and by then everything was fine. They found no codes and everything was working. I asked them to replace the FEM after finding a post about the ghost in the system on this forum. After the FEM was replace, I have had none of these issues.

After being on this website the last few months I've seen a lot of problems being attributed to the "Front Electronic Module" and the scarcity of the part - now discontinued. I've had a lot of problems with my "Bird" and figure sooner or later with my luck this will go out. I thought I might buy the part to have on hand when mine goes out.

I've been playing around on the web and found a few places that say they have the part for a 2002 Tbird, but say it doesn't fit a 2003 like mine.

Can't believe the part wouldn't work on an 03. I thought the only difference between an 02 - 03 was the variable timing on the 03, and the Selective shift. Front Electronic Module "SHOULDN'T" have anything to do with that would it?
I just installed the FEM that was in the supply chain regardless of being appropriate to the specific year of my T-Bird, but when it was flashed with the program specified for a 2002, it worked like a charm.

When I visited with the retired Ford mechanic, he described the FEM as a computer controlled switching box.
When low level signals are sent to the FEM, which then turn on transistors, which then turn on switching
transistors or relays to turn the proper item on, or off. After many years the capacitors inside dry out, and
the transistors, or small processors no longer get the right amount of voltage to operate, that is when you
notice lights operating erratically, or other things. This started becoming an issue when the hazardous
chemicals were removed from electrolytic capacitors, the new chemicals do not last near as long.

Also sometimes the chemical in the capacitors leak out, and will damage the circuit board, this is when
your FEM can not be repaired.

I be they can be rebuilt for $10. I have fixed many power supplies simply by changing 2 or 3 capacitors.

When I visited with the retired Ford mechanic, he described the FEM as a computer controlled switching box.
When low level signals are sent to the FEM, which then turn on transistors, which then turn on switching
transistors or relays to turn the proper item on, or off. After many years the capacitors inside dry out, and
the transistors, or small processors no longer get the right amount of voltage to operate, that is when you
notice lights operating erratically, or other things. This started becoming an issue when the hazardous
chemicals were removed from electrolytic capacitors, the new chemicals do not last near as long.

Also sometimes the chemical in the capacitors leak out, and will damage the circuit board, this is when

I be they can be rebuilt for $10. I have fixed many power supplies simply by changing 2 or 3 capacitors.
That is the most detailed description that I have heard of what is going on. Thanks for that. Explains why all the garage queens and low milage cars have the same problems.

Yes, change all the 5 small electrolytic. When some are bad, erratic behavior can damage the power MOSFET transistors.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: 312
The description of the problem makes me think looking for NOS FEM's would be a problem as well. If the capacitors age is the problem the old stock will be problematic, too. I am liking the rebuild idea more based on this and think I would recommend rebuild over trying to find NOS. Anyone have any idea when the last FEM replacement part was made?

The description of the problem makes me think looking for NOS FEM's would be a problem as well. If the capacitors age is the problem the old stock will be problematic, too. I am liking the rebuild idea more based on this and think I would recommend rebuild over trying to find NOS. Anyone have any idea when the last FEM replacement part was made?
March 2018

My '02 has just started showing signs like those described above. The lights for the radio and climate control and odometer will sometimes not come on after the vehicle has been started. The radio and climate control work, just can't see the control lights. Sometimes it comes on after driving a bit, sometimes not, and then sometimes I comes on when first turned over and there is not problem. So do I wait until it's gone for good, or do I order the FEM part now, and just wait until it is needed?

After being on this website the last few months I've seen a lot of problems being attributed to the "Front Electronic Module" and the scarcity of the part - now discontinued. I've had a lot of problems with my "Bird" and figure sooner or later with my luck this will go out. I thought I might buy the part to have on hand when mine goes out.

I've been playing around on the web and found a few places that say they have the part for a 2002 Tbird, but say it doesn't fit a 2003 like mine.

Can't believe the part wouldn't work on an 03. I thought the only difference between an 02 - 03 was the variable timing on the 03, and the Selective shift. Front Electronic Module "SHOULDN'T" have anything to do with that would it?

What is the latest info for the FEM— reading through the post I see reference to part 1w6t13b252 af and 1w6z14b205aa. My FMO dealer provided part 6w6z13c788ab for my 2005 bird. I would like to buy one for backup in case mine fails. Fordpartworld.com has on for $472.88 plus tax and shipping. Can anyone confirm the part number for a 2005?

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: HKS
Bottom line,,, has anyone have a report for Automotive Modules in Allen Park MI?
I need one FEM rebuilt. So many options...I looked up the address of the above on Google Earth..looks like a Print Shop ???, I want to make sure they are as good as their advertisement

Thanks

Bottom line,,, has anyone have a report for Automotive Modules in Allen Park MI?
I need one FEM rebuilt. So many options...I looked up the address of the above on Google Earth..looks like a Print Shop ???, I want to make sure they are as good as their advertisement

Thanks

I recently used them to repair my FEM and am very pleased with the results. Fixed all the issues I was having. I haven't seen any complaints in this forum. The whole process will take about 2 weeks including shipping to and from.

I was just on the phone with a tech from Automotive Modules in MI this morning; very nice and knowledgeable guy and he walked me through some troubleshooting techniques to determine if my FEM is bad... Did it off the cuff without referring to anything or putting me on hold, including voltages to expect on particular wires and what their color code should be. Impressive. They'll be getting mine for repair...

This is the third step in the instructions to remove the FEM, after removing the sill plate and kick panel cover. I don't know what this is. Is it the junction block with all the connectors attached at the upper left of the FEM ? If so I don't see how you get to the nuts..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    295.4 KB · Views: 1
That is the junction box to the right of the FEM on the front wall of the cabin. It needs to be moved because it gets in the way when trying to remove the FEM.

Thanks much - that makes sense now...
I didn't see it at first because of the carpet..

Where did you find the Front Electronic Module for the 2002? I need one.

Back