Aftermarket Performance Parts Upgrades 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

Aznav

Now here's a question. I bought mine from Amazon last month. That website said it would work with my Tbird. It was only when I went to the site that it said it would not work. Is it possible that I skip the upgrade and just directly plug and play? Also, thanks for the quick response. Can't wait to show my upgrades.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Now here's a question. I bought mine from Amazon last month. That website said it would work with my Tbird. It was only when I went to the site that it said it would not work. Is it possible that I skip the upgrade and just directly plug and play? Also, thanks for the quick response. Can't wait to show my upgrades.
You definitely don't want to update the device! If you do it erases all the codes from SCT, although you could also get custom tunes from a third party and use those.

Aznav

cutouts are cool but not for rpm past 3000 sitting still
do it and let me know
and do some nitrous info too
Thanks, Donny. Actually, I went to a well-respected muffler shop here and he convinced me to straight pipe it. It's legal and it sounds BAAAADDDDD! Yet, when you get to cruising speed, no matter what gear, the noise goes way, way, down - enough to talk and listen to great music.

Aznav

cutouts are cool but not for rpm past 3000 sitting still
do it and let me know
and do some nitrous info too
My muffler guy recommended straight pipes (legal in Va.). I really like them. Yes, they are "loud" but go easy on the pedal and not bad. It has been my experience that conversation/music does not start until you reach a constant cruise (in any gear). Also, being a Boomer, I have learned how to use the SST and really like it. Almost like the good ol/ days.

I got mine from Summitt up here in Ohio, the sound is incredible, I have a 3.9 in mine, That's the Jaguar Engine and Tranie, also had Head problems and had to get new gaskets at 45000 miles and they had to shave the heads, more power and the Borla gives more as well. 0-60 in about 4 seconds or less, very fast now
did you do any performance porting while the heads were off? thats were the power comes in.

Frankie the Fink

I guess I'm in the "leave it alone" camp with my '02.....$400 for a tuner (won't even discuss the Borla $$$) to get what, a 10% horsepower boost on a 230hp engine ? So, you're at 250hp approx, 260hp maybe ? Does anybody have actual dyno numbers or other stats ?

The car's are anemic compared to my Corvettes but I love them as "relaxed" boulevard cruisers...

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I guess I'm in the "leave it alone" camp with my '02.....$400 for a tuner (won't even discuss the Borla $$$) to get what, a 10% horsepower boost on a 230hp engine ? So, you're at 250hp approx, 260hp maybe ? Does anybody have actual dyno numbers or other stats ?

The car's are anemic compared to my Corvettes but I love them as "relaxed" boulevard cruisers...
@Whiz @Georgia Cat and many other members have put in the Borla Exhaust and love it-

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...exhaust-system-original-2004.9147/#post-57918