2005 turns over but will not start | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2005 turns over but will not start

• Thread starter Thread starter butch
  • Start date Start date
B
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
PCU,FEM and REM all ck. good was told that cluster is bad, Will that cause the car to turn over but not start, There is no power to fuel pump fuses and fuel cut out switch all ck. good, Please help.

The REM has been removed and sent out to be repaired and it checks good, No repairs needed.
I do have power to the pump fuse but not the pump, The PCM has also been sent out and also checks good, No repairs needed.
Could the cluster cause a no start condition?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If the relay has power and it works there's nothing else in the way of power at the pump except a broken wire or dead pump.

From what I understand, you had the PCM, FEM and the REM sent out to be checked or repaired. Did you do this because of the no start condition? After you installed the PCM did you perform a parameter reset to allow both modules to recognize the PATS keys? Failure to carry out the parameter reset to both the instrument cluster and the PCM may result in a no start condition. Did you try to reprogram the keys? Did you scan all of the control modules for fault codes? If any of the following instrument cluster fault codes are present that could result in your no start condition.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Instrument Cluster DTC's.jpg

Yes, modules were sent out because of no start condition, fault code is B1213
If the cluster is the problem can it be sent out for repair or does it need to be replaced?

Did you try to reprogram the key(s)? Not the remote fobs, the actual keys. If the fault code is correct/legit, the anti theft system is preventing start. Use an appropriate scan tool to see how many keys are programmed. It's possible the number of keys programmed got messed up and the keys you have are no longer programmed. I don't think there is a way to check if any of the physical keys you have actually match what might be programmed. Might have to start from scratch with programming.

Yes, modules were sent out because of no start condition, fault code is B1213
If the cluster is the problem can it be sent out for repair or does it need to be replaced?
Yes, the instrument cluster could be the problem but there are other things that need to be checked first. Other possible causes are:

- less than two keys programed to the system
- PATS transceiver
- unprogrammed PATS key
The transceiver module communicates with the PATS key. The control functions are contained in the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the PATS key and controlling engine enable. The instrument cluster initiates the key interrogation sequence when the key is inserted in the ignition cylinder and when the key is turned to RUN or START.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Pinpoint Test C1 & C2.jpg
Pinpoint Test C3.jpg

Ok - maybe a step back, fuses are generally the last thing in the electrical chain of a protected device and if there is power to the fuse with the key on, as this owner states, I would (perhaps mistakenly) think all the preceding requirements to get the fuel pump to light off have been satisfied. I don't have a wiring diagram to verify but that is what I'm thinking.

Secondly, a cluster repair is a royal pain... My Ford dealer only had one recommendation for my 2002 and when I called they had stopped doing retro-bird clusters. If you can find a repair vendor its better than getting a replacement IMO because those units house the car's mileage and it is a Federal issue to just plug one in and it will need re-programmed at the dealer; again my dealer doesn't do them anymore.

Is it OK to ask about similar problem to avoid creating new threads? If yes, here's my problem:

First of all - I am based in Poland, where there are no dealers ready to help with such an exotic car - literally there are more lambos and ferraris on the streets in Europe than retro-birds. I have (I woulb be very glad to say - I drive, but no, I don't) 2003 clean title 42K miles Ford Thunderbird. When I bought it, it was working fine - but after a couple of hundreds km it stalled and I wouldn't start up. During the time I was waiting for tow truck I tried multiple times to start - it cranks, but wouldn't start.
Since then - It starts sometimes and I can drive it as long as it works. It;s enough to turn off the engine to not be able to start it up again. Sometimes for an hour, sometimes for a week.
What has been done and checked until now: new fuel pump, new filter, new evap valve, new gas cap, new coils, new spark plugs, new battery, new crankshaft position sensor. CHecked every ground points I could find. Checked fuel pressure and it's perfect. But there is no regularity and rule - After a month it starts from the first rev, than from the second or third, and after four or five ignitions it just cranks. Btw - every time it cranks a little longer before it starts. And than it cranks and cranks and cranks. And after a couple of days it starts, but just once and works till I turn it off and that's it.
Forscan shows some codes - but related to taillights (needed to be rewired to comply with european standards like amber turn signals - however it cannot be the cause, because it simetimes starts, and codes for rear lights are permanent).
I have three keys - two regular ones and one without transponder - the one without transponder is not recognized by the security system - it dosn't start fuel pump and starter, so I know that two remaining keys are fine - red light on dashboard reacts to them in a proper manner, as described in manual.
What else should I check? Any ideas?

Back