2005 - Today I learned what a battery vent hose is.

Bob Wyatt
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've had my 2005 T-bird for 6 years, and changed the battery for the first time. When I pulled the old battery out, I found a disconnected hose which seemed to go to the outside through a hole in the trunk. Searching Motorcraft P/N D4JQB online, I learned that it was a radiator hose, and wondered what a radiator hose would be doing in the trunk.

I know better to assume something's not important, so I was finally able to figure out where it connected to the battery to vent the gas that would otherwise accumulate there, where there's little air flow. And I thought changing a battery was one thing I could do without having to read the instructions.

I don't know where the hose connected to the old battery, because that one doesn't have a vent in the same place. I'm not sure that the hose was connected before.

When I was finished, I closed the trunk and saw the tail lights blink. The doors were unlocked, so the alarm system should've been off, but it was like the car forgot it was unlocked. When I opened the driver's side door, it started honking and flashing lights, making it necessary for me to run from the garage to the house in the rain for the key. It seemed to be alright after I locked and unlocked the doors. But now, when I open the door, the window opens a little like it's supposed to, but doesn't go back when the door is closed.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've had my 2005 T-bird for 6 years, and changed the battery for the first time. When I pulled the old battery out, I found a disconnected hose which seemed to go to the outside through a hole in the trunk. Searching Motorcraft P/N D4JQB online, I learned that it was a radiator hose, and wondered what a radiator hose would be doing in the trunk.

I know better to assume something's not important, so I was finally able to figure out where it connected to the battery to vent the gas that would otherwise accumulate there, where there's little air flow. And I thought changing a battery was one thing I could do without having to read the instructions.

I don't know where the hose connected to the old battery, because that one doesn't have a vent in the same place. I'm not sure that the hose was connected before.

When I was finished, I closed the trunk and saw the tail lights blink. The doors were unlocked, so the alarm system should've been off, but it was like the car forgot it was unlocked. When I opened the driver's side door, it started honking and flashing lights, making it necessary for me to run from the garage to the house in the rain for the key. It seemed to be alright after I locked and unlocked the doors. But now, when I open the door, the window opens a little like it's supposed to, but doesn't go back when the door is closed.
The window drop has to be manually recalibrated after disconnecting the battery. Sounds like your previous owner changed the OEM vented battery with a non-vented battery. Not a Good Idea. Good thing he left the vent hose in the car has they are hard to find replacements. The vent hose connects to the battery at the upper side on the battery. The vented battery is necessary because of location in enclosed trunk. The battery fumes are corrosive to the nearby fuse box and can be a fire hazard. Napa and Ford have the proper vented replacement batteries. Sounds like you need a maintenance manual for your retro bird.

Thanks for the info. I have the workshop manual, I need to use it! I found in the owner's manual how to calibrate the windows (raise them to the top and keep holding the button for two seconds), and everything seems alright now.

Oh my, I can't help but I am surprised that the two things might be connected. Maybe there is an ECM reset that you can do after a battery replacement that might help get things back in order.

Also, there is a nice video on YouTube that shows how to take out a battery and adjust the window after removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had never heard of a battery vent tube until I replaced the battery in my 05. I had selected a Group 65 Duracell battery available from Sam's Club. I found the tube dangling in the trunk when I removed the old battery. Sure enough the new battery had a port in the right place and the tube fit right on it. Since that time I have noticed that other batteries also have the port. Presumably there is no need to connect a tube when the battery is exposed to moving air under a hood.
I am happy to learn about window calibration. The window on the drivers side always goes down half an inch when the door is opened. It goes back up when the door is closed - sometimes. I blamed weather or something, and it may be a different issue. I learned that the drivers window is controlled by the front ECM module and the passenger window is controlled by the rear ECM module. I have learned to live with this quirk. I have not yet priced a new front ECM module, nor located where it is installed.

I had never heard of a battery vent tube until I replaced the battery in my 05. I had selected a Group 65 Duracell battery available from Sam's Club. I found the tube dangling in the trunk when I removed the old battery. Sure enough the new battery had a port in the right place and the tube fit right on it. Since that time I have noticed that other batteries also have the port. Presumably there is no need to connect a tube when the battery is exposed to moving air under a hood.
I am happy to learn about window calibration. The window on the drivers side always goes down half an inch when the door is opened. It goes back up when the door is closed - sometimes. I blamed weather or something, and it may be a different issue. I learned that the drivers window is controlled by the front ECM module and the passenger window is controlled by the rear ECM module. I have learned to live with this quirk. I have not yet priced a new front ECM module, nor located where it is installed.

You can find good tutorials on locating and replacing both the front and rear ECM modules on Youtube and at the ****************** site. i do not know that new replacement modules are still available from Ford, but I am sure they are expensive. Your best bet will be to remove your module and send it to Thunderbirdbob for repair and reconditioning.

On page 41 of your owner's manual it states:

Proper operation of the short drop glass requires that the windows be calibrated. Though your windows will have been calibrated before your vehicle is delivered to you, it is possible for the windows to lose calibration. To re-calibrate the window, lower the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Immediately after releasing the window down switch, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds.

Short Drop Glass.jpg

As far as the FEM and the REM control modules. The FEM receives inputs and delivers outputs to a majority of the electronically controlled features which reside primarily in the front of the vehicle, including the left power window. The REM receives inputs and delivers outputs to a majority of the electronically controlled features which reside primarily in the rear of the vehicle, including the right power window.

The FEM is located behind the left trim panel under the dash.

FEM 1.jpg

The REM is located under the cloth cover behind the seat.

Rear Electronics Module & Remote Keyless Entry Module.jpg

I have used AutomotiveModules.com for FEM, REM, ECM and Instrument Cluster repairs.

Module Repair.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

GREAT TIMING! I just changed my battery and (sadly!) saw that hose as well and was clueless what it did. Going to the garage to see if my new battery has that port.

Back