2004 Throttle Sensor/ETC codes | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Throttle Sensor/ETC codes

• Thread starter Thread starter King_Stupid
  • Start date Start date
K

King_Stupid

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hey everyone. Been reading here for a while but finally needed to post for ideas.
2004, 130k miles.

Had issues with misfiring a while back.
Replaced plugs.
Replaced Coil #5.
Replaced fuel pressure sensor on rail (the old plastic broke when I tried to remove it, so replaced it)
Replaced EGR
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned throttle body
Fixed an issue where someone had previously not attached intake properly to throttlebody and had allowed a bit of fresh air directly at the intake side of the throttlebody, as well as fixed an improperly installed air box that also allowed quite a bit of fresh air past the filter.

It had been running well after this for about 4 months. though run infrequently.
In the last 2 days, a trip on the highway, then coming down to street speeds, it went into limp mode.
There was one instance of a misfire on 5, but that was perhaps an older reading still in the memory, or perhaps not.
I switched coils 5 and 6. Reset everything.

Now I get these errors:
P2104 : the engine control module (ECM) activates this code when it detects throttle control issues that require the throttle actuator control (TAC) system to idle (I assume this is just saying "hey things are screwed going into limp mode)
P2100: an issue with your accelerator pedal position (APP) assembly, a faulty throttle position sensor, or general throttle motor control issues
P2107: malfunction within the throttle control module processor; the throttle actuator motor fails to operate and this is detected by the Engine Control Unit (ECU)
P2110: the engine control module (ECM) is detecting major failures in the throttle actuator control (or TAC) system. This causes the ECM to go into failure or ‘limping’ mode and forcibly limit the RPM

Also, I pulled plug 5, and it appears a bit lean. No oil present.

Does this just sound like a TPM to you folks or perhaps something else as well? There was a TB error back there somewhere, but when things go wrong lots of stuff throws up codes. I can post those if needed, but now it is these 4 that make an appearance after I clear then run again. At least for the moment.

I'm hoping someone with experience in these motors can point me in the right directions. Thanks!

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

P2107-Throttle Actuator Control Motor Processor and P2110-Throttle Actuator Control System, Forced Limited RPM indicates that the Electronic Throttle Control area of the PCM failed the self test. These faults could be the result of an incorrect TP command, or the TACM (throttle actuator control motor) wires shorted together. Ford had a special service message related to these codes and we were instructed to peform a coil stress test on all ignition coils before any other part replacement is considered. An ignition coil may create RFI (radio frequency interference) resulting in these codes to be set. You stated that you only replaced ignition coil number 5, before I went any further I would replace all of the ignition coils to eliminate any chance of radio frequency interference from the ignition coils.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I am having the same problems and I have replaced every thing including the foot pedal. I did purchase a off brand throttle body.

I have found on mine that if I turn the key on and remove the codes (Multiple times in some cases) soon the wrench will go away, then i can turn it off and back on and no code and its starts right up.
It used to allow me a while when I shut it off, but now it does it all the time regardless of time

also to note, this just started one day about a year ago.

I read something about these TPS were GEN 1 and there is now a GEN 4, so I tried that at first on the old throttle body It did not help.

I have had it in the shop and these guys couldn't figure it out either.

so to me, it is related to the sync process is not working.

Codes I get are P2107 and P2110

OK, have ordered new set of COPS, will report back after I've changed them. Should be here Wednesday.
Did this fix it?

Last edited:
What brand did you buy?
Use the links in the threads, COPS thread has all this posted already. Click the word COPS or visit this page

Back