2003 Wrench Light Only When Top Is Down | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Wrench Light Only When Top Is Down

• Thread starter Thread starter Debbie Rathert
  • Start date Start date
Debbie Rathert

Debbie Rathert

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone had the issue of the wrench light coming on ONLY when the top is down? We've replaced the $1000 computer about 9 months ago. It was fine all winter. The mechanic tried to run diagnostics on my car and could not get the wrench light to come on like it did when I drove it. Come to find out, the light would come on soon after I put the top down and drove it, and it seemed to be 'missing.' With the top up, no wrench light! Changed all 8 ignition coils and that did not remedy. Any suggestions or comments?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No, no help from here. I too replaced or should say had the Main CPU replaced, a year later wrench light came on and I replaced the coils myself, haven't seen the wrench light on since. It is strange that it comes on for you when the top is down. Whether the top is up or down shouldn't have anything to do with the way the engine runs, but these are strange Birds to say the least.

Sorry I couldn't help.

No, no help from here. I too replaced or should say had the Main CPU replaced, a year later wrench light came on and I replaced the coils myself, haven't seen the wrench light on since. It is strange that it comes on for you when the top is down. Whether the top is up or down shouldn't have anything to do with the way the engine runs, but these are strange Birds to say the least.

Sorry I couldn't help.
The mechanic thinks (so far) that it has something to do with the temperature... like maybe something is overheating because it's 95 degrees outside and something is unable to keep cool. He says when he ran diagnostics with the top down, there were more error codes, but I don't know what that means!

The "wrench light" comes on when the car goes into cripple mode, for any reason - not just transmission... only happened to me once... on my 2002... when the light came on I had no power... I pulled over and shut off the engine and waited a while and it restarted and has been fine ever since. I should have gone to Autozone or Advanced Auto parts and had them read the error code. Some time later I had to replace a COP.

The mechanic thinks (so far) that it has something to do with the temperature... like maybe something is overheating because it's 95 degrees outside and something is unable to keep cool. He says when he ran diagnostics with the top down, there were more error codes, but I don't know what that means!
You need a new mechanic! The car should not overheat even with 95 degree temperatures! Have your Ignition coils been replaced? https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...005-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

You need to find out what the error code numbers are and post them. Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels & wasting time.

The "wrench light" comes on when the car goes into cripple mode, for any reason - not just transmission... only happened to me once... on my 2002... when the light came on I had no power...

So there is a wrench light on the 2002.. I'm not showing anything on my dash.. I powered mine up 3-4 times this morning just to see if the idiot light of a wrench would illuminate and I didn't see anything come up other than the check engine light, oil, temp, etc..

Thanks for the Seafoam tip. I ran some last year. This time I put fuel system cleaner and it did not change the symptoms. S0, are you thinking the fuel injection is not running free, as opposed to an electrical miss?
Seafoam is far superior to any regular fuel system cleaner. I'm not sure what your issue is, but it's a good troubleshooting step, and most people don't realize you can put it in your crankcase with the oil before your oil change and it helps there as well.

Back