2003 Thunderbird cooling fan not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
freddog454

freddog454

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi,

I just had the thermostat and housing replaced and noticed the cooling fan is not coming on. I don't recall if it came on before the replacement. I let it run for a while with the A/C on and did not hear it spin. Any suggestions Thanks

Fred

My 2005 had a similar issue. Never has "overheated" but, have had coolant boil in the overflow bottle. Gauge never has gone higher than the middle. Fan has never come on, with or without the a/c on. Where is the fan temp sensor located? Been over the interweb , only one post suggests it is on the radiator low on the RH side.

Can anyone tell me how to determine when the cooling is running and at what speed. Is it a two sped fan, the car is a 2003. Mine never seems to kick on no matter how long I let it run in the garage.

Can anyone tell me how to determine when the cooling is running and at what speed. Is it a two sped fan, the car is a 2003. Mine never seems to kick on no matter how long I let it run in the garage.
The fan should turn freely with no resistance when turned by hand. It will only operate in a over heat condition sensed by the cylinder head temp. sensor which then sends a voltage change to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) which will then make the necessary changes to the engine operation including turning on the cooling fan. Just idling with the AC on will not do it if the ambient temp sensor & the cabin temp sensor are telling the PCM all is operating okay.
Fan will not come on.

The fan should turn freely with no resistance when turned by hand.
This shouldn't be done when there is power to the fan to avoid losing your hand.

Well of course! If the engine has not been operating for hours & temps under the hood are cool then it will not accidentally start up but to be really really cautious one could either open the Fan's connector or go really overboard & disconnect the battery.

Had the car for 4 years - temp has never gone above normal. Today, first light I had to wait on the needle moved above normal. Idled for a few mins and it approached HOT.
Raised the hood and can't hear or feel any fan activity. I read that it is controlled by the PCM. Or maybe the fan motor is shot?? Any ideas how to troubleshoot? Thanks

Located the temp sender and have ordered one from Amazon. Cheap $8 shot at the problem.

This shouldn't be done when there is power to the fan to avoid losing your hand.
Yep Yep got a scar across the pointer finger of my left hand. About 20 yrs ago I was helping a buddy change the lower radiator hose on his mid 70's Ford truck. I was leaned over the fender, arms all the way down in the engine bay, when a screwdriver rolled off from the dumb place I had set it down and arced across the contacts on the solenoid. Thankfully the engine did not fire, or I would probably be missing fingers but it did make a forceful about 3/4 rotation. the Fan knocked my hand out of the way and took off a good chunk of skin, leaving this scar as a reminder Lesson learned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back