2003-Radio problems or something else? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003-Radio problems or something else?

• Thread starter Thread starter Elsie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Well I got in my 03 Bird today (Saturday) evening to take a cruise to local bar for a beer and a club sandwich. Got a half mile down road and "mute" came over radio. Punched "mute" button, radio came on then went back to "mute", punched button again same thing happened. Then radio started to cycle between FM1, to FM2, to AM, to CD, and did this over and over again till I finally pushed the power off button.

The CD player quit working 6 months ago. Recently the headlights started coming on even in Daylight a few months ago. Just wondering if this is the start of the dreaded "Front Electronic Module" going out, or it could just be a bad radio?

I guess time will tell. I love this car more than any other car I've had but I've spent more money on this vehicle than all other vehicle I've driven in the previous 47 years!

Any input?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just wondering if this is the start of the dreaded "Front Electronic Module" going out, or it could just be a bad radio? I guess time will tell. I love this car more than any other car I've had but I've spent more money on this vehicle than all other vehicle I've driven in the previous 47 years! Any input?

I'm not an expert at this point but after reading this forum for the past year snd a few months, it sure sounds like it is the Front Electronic Module... I feel the same way about our 02 bird, but in the short time I have owned mine, I have been fortunate with the lack of issues... Pardon me as I have to knock on wood for 20 minutes... As my side bar, I just came back from NYC and once again I had a couple cab rides.. All were in Toyotas and they were a Prius and one a Camry hybrid.. Both had over 100,000 miles and over 3 years old..I asked the cabbie... Both rode like they were brand new, no thumps rattles over those lovely NYC roads.. My Ford Focus on the other hand would of sounded like the bolts in a tin can shaken not stirred.. I remember riding often in Crown Vic's that were yellow with a medallion on the hood and they sounded like my Focus does.. I think I replace sway bar links every year and not just in my Focus but my 3 other Ford products..

My next daily driver will be a Toyota... I will need to save my $$$ and patience for our torch red garage queen.. 🙂 Good luck Elsie with your FEM.. I have a feeling it's a long term love affair with our t-birds..

Well I got in my 03 Bird today (Saturday) evening to take a cruise to local bar for a beer and a club sandwich. Got a half mile down road and "mute" came over radio. Punched "mute" button, radio came on then went back to "mute", punched button again same thing happened. Then radio started to cycle between FM1, to FM2, to AM, to CD, and did this over and over again till I finally pushed the power off button.

The CD player quit working 6 months ago. Recently the headlights started coming on even in Daylight a few months ago. Just wondering if this is the start of the dreaded "Front Electronic Module" going out, or it could just be a bad radio?
Any input?
I think you may have a few different issues here. The CD problem is a radio thing. The fix for that is to have it rebuilt.

The mute button on the steering wheel is an issue I am dealing with my self. None of the buttons on my steering wheel work properly any more. Both the cruise control and radio buttons work erratically. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do the wrong function and sometimes they do nothing. I am thinking -- hoping--this may be the clock spring going bad. That is an easy fix, I think.

I replaced the FEM but I had more issues than just the headlights. It was a combination of things. With the headlights coming on, it may just be the light sensor and not the FEM. If you have wipers, steering, head lights, top and dash problems, I would suspect the FEM.

More information on this thread about getting one rebuilt- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/help-needed-front-electronic-module.5560/

Rebuilt- http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html

Some of the Most Common Problems that we have fixed:
* Instrument Illumination Problems (No Dash illumination & Shift indicator Light).
The power for Dash Light and Shift indicator are from Same Pin of the F.E.M.
so if both of them are off at the same time ,the Module is the cause. (100%).
* Head lights issues.
* Front Turn Signal Problems.
* Window inoperable (driver side).
* No Wipers, No Horn.
* Conv. Top.
* Power Steering Assist.(stiff) Code C1925 .
* Also Codes such as :B1342,B1438,B1446,B1676.

Last edited:
You are stuck in the 80s if you believe Toyota is bullet proof in 2018! https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/...2-billion-settlement-in-criminal-inquiry.html

I think every auto manufacturer has good & bad vehicles. They depend on 3rd party companies for the parts to make them.

I hear you t-bird... No car is bullet proof.. But I tell you may cabbie Friday morning getting me to Lagurdia had to be doing 50mph hitting very bump and pothole on Madison Ave and not once did I hear the tump,clunk, clank or rattle that I get out of my Focus with 75K on it.. I tried to see if the check engine light was on but the dash looked clean too.. That all I see down there are Toyota's now as taxis cabs.. I think the Prius's are exceptionally well built.. If I'm not mistaken they are still built 100% in Japan..

I guess time will tell. I love this car more than any other car I've had but I've spent more money on this vehicle than all other vehicle I've driven in the previous 47 years!

Any input?
My 05 has a similar mute problem with the radio without all of the other electrical problems. I thought it may be a short but it doesn’t always mute on bumpy road. It can mute on FM AM or CD, Look forward to hearing a solution.

My 05 has a similar mute problem with the radio without all of the other electrical problems. I thought it may be a short but it doesn’t always mute on bumpy road. It can mute on FM AM or CD, Look forward to hearing a solution.
This is something that has been asked in the past, but nobody ever gave a reply as to what caused it. It's very possible it could be caused by the clock spring. Try pressing the buttons several times to see if that helps, but I'm sure you've already done this.

Old Threads-

http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/cd-radio-problem.3998/

http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/whacked-out-radio.3570/

This is something that has been asked in the past, but nobody ever gave a reply as to what caused it. It's very possible it could be caused by the clock spring. Try pressing the buttons several times to see if that helps, but I'm sure you've already done this.

Old Threads-

http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/cd-radio-problem.3998/

http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/whacked-out-radio.3570/
Does anyone know if the FEM is the same between the 03 Tbird and 03 Lincoln LS?

*Everything (knock on a big oak tree) works fine on my 2003 Bird, including the radio, cd, et al. Vol +- on s wheel is fine, BUT if I just TOUCH the rotary vol control it goes ape max loud!! Can not adj lower, have to go to s-wheel controls.
Anyone have a cure for that short of R&R?

In the old days I would just spray contact cleaner into the pot and fix. Now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back