2003 PCM

Debbie Rathert

Debbie Rathert

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone.....I've done the search on this forum for posts relating to PCM replacements. But I still have a question....how do I know what part number to get? The number on my old PCM said "3W4A-JJ replaces 3W6A-BJ." But I can find both part numbers online. And I'm finding many of the same part number but different letters after the last dash i.e. 3W6A-12A650-AA vs 3W6A-12A650-BJ. How do I know which one I need? Thanks!

Hello everyone.....I've done the search on this forum for posts relating to PCM replacements. But I still have a question....how do I know what part number to get? The number on my old PCM said "3W4A-JJ replaces 3W6A-BJ." But I can find both part numbers online. And I'm finding many of the same part number but different letters after the last dash i.e. 3W6A-12A650-AA vs 3W6A-12A650-BJ. How do I know which one I need? Thanks!

I replaced or should have said a Ford dealer replaced the main CPU in my 03 Tbird - 4 or 5 years ago. The car broke down right in front of their dealership, so I just coasted into their service area. Even back then they tried to tell me the part was obsolete and they couldn't find one. I had to find the part myself - found aftermarket part at an O'Reillys - 4 states over. Dealer had to reprogram and cut new keys but it worked. Sorry I can't help you on part number off hand, but I will try to see if I still have the paperwork for that repair and see if part number is on it. If I can find the paper work I will post part number.

good luck

Sorry can't help with the numbers either but had to replace PCM in my 03. Local dealership in Texas found one in Chicago...………..said they shipped but, it never arrived. Ended up sending mine to Car Computer Exchange for a rebuild. They were half price and easy to work with and communicated well. It's only been 2 months but seems that issue is resolved. Now if the other issues were resolved...…….I might consider keeping the bird ?? Still very frustrating how hard it is to get replacement parts.

I replaced or should have said a Ford dealer replaced the main CPU in my 03 Tbird - 4 or 5 years ago. The car broke down right in front of their dealership, so I just coasted into their service area. Even back then they tried to tell me the part was obsolete and they couldn't find one. I had to find the part myself - found aftermarket part at an O'Reillys - 4 states over. Dealer had to reprogram and cut new keys but it worked. Sorry I can't help you on part number off hand, but I will try to see if I still have the paperwork for that repair and see if part number is on it. If I can find the paper work I will post part number.

good luck
Thank you.... that would be great!

Sorry can't help with the numbers either but had to replace PCM in my 03. Local dealership in Texas found one in Chicago...………..said they shipped but, it never arrived. Ended up sending mine to Car Computer Exchange for a rebuild. They were half price and easy to work with and communicated well. It's only been 2 months but seems that issue is resolved. Now if the other issues were resolved...…….I might consider keeping the bird ?? Still very frustrating how hard it is to get replacement parts.
Thanks a lot! This is helpful. Maybe I should consider having mine rebuilt. How long did it take to get it sent out and received back? I guess I'll be out of a car for that amount of time.

Just a little more information about the company I've been dealing with.....Thunderbird Specialties / Powersport. We bought a $995 PCM from them in September 2017. In May 2018, we started to get error codes (wrench light and engine light) but our reputable mechanic could not validate anything wrong with our car according to the error codes. We sent the PCM back to Thunderbird Specialties for a replacement since they advertised a "One Year Warranty"....not advertised as a 'Limited Warranty.' After we sent it back, they told us the PCM was not faulty and they could send it back to us or give us 4/12 of what we paid since we got use out of it for 8 months! They PCM didn't malfunction until the convertible top was put down and was in the heat of St. Louis weather in the cabin of my car. TS could not replicate the problem hence said the PCM was not faulty. So....long story short....they now have our $995 PCM AND will only refund $325 for a PCM that went bad after 8 months use. I'm trying to find a reputable source to deal with, so I truly appreciate all of your comments.

Debbie, I'm no help and will probably only add to the confusion - My paper work says I replaced the ECM - (engine control module) and the part number I replaced it with is - 2W6Z-12A650- I went to Ford part website and put in my VIN # and it said the ECM should have been 3W6Z-12A650??????

I'm no mechanic - I worked as a parts replacer, for 4 years while going to school - for a national mechanic shop - but that was 40 years ago when cars were simple and didn't have all these electronics.

This Tbird has a FEM (Front Electronic Module), REM (Rear Electronic Module), ECM, and who knows what else. Are we even talking about the same part? Is the ECM I replaced the same thing as what you are calling the PCM??

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Ford part website I went to - https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/ does have the ECM listed.

Last edited:
My 2003 Premier has been sitting at my dealership since October waiting for a new PCM. Now told there are none and more than likely won't be in my lifetime. Purchased a rebuilt that would allow the car to start, but not shift smoothly. Replaced that and the next wouldn't let the car start. The problem started after a fuel purchase and the car died, wouldn't fire and that was it. PCM rebuilder checked my PCM and says it's good. The dealer says no. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, including referrals to techs in the South East with a history of solving these problems. Thanks.

The dealer's are the WORST.... They tried to talk me into a $1,500 repair and a $1,300 repair in two separate instances and both problems fixed for under $100.... Why does the dealer say the module is bad ? What diagnostic did they run and what were the results ? You can't take the statements of the service advisers verbatim.

Where are you in the Southeast ?? Either way I think I'd get my car away from that dealer..
Might be worth calling and talking with these guys, and get their take on things....if you have your symptoms and any diagnostic codes from the dealer it would help:

The dealer's are the WORST.... They tried to talk me into a $1,500 repair and a $1,300 repair in two separate instances and both problems fixed for under $100.... Why does the dealer say the module is bad ? What diagnostic did they run and what were the results ? You can't take the statements of the service advisers verbatim.

Where are you in the Southeast ?? Either way I think I'd get my car away from that dealer..
Might be worth calling and talking with these guys, and get their take on things....if you have your symptoms and any diagnostic codes from the dealer it would help:

Thanks I will definitely look into them. I’m currently near Orlando but the car is in SC.

@Ghost Diver, what was the outcome of your PCM problem?
I've got my 2005 in a repair shop now with 17 error codes, and they are trying to find a used PCM to reprogram...I've searched for rebuilt ones at Both ProTech and Flagship1.... I'm in Asheville, NC
Thanks for your reply

Last edited by a moderator:
@Anewaltj -
Did you ever resolve your PCM problems? I replaced mine about 2 1/2 years ago or 3,000 miles and believe it may be the cause of my latest problem (P358 code) as I’ve tested the circuit and replaced the the cylinder 8 ignition coil & cleared the codes, but the problem still exists. My 12 month warranty expired and I see that Flagship One has them now and they appear to offer a lifetime warranty. Thanks, Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
@Anewaltj -
Did you ever resolve your PCM problems? I replaced mine about 2 1/2 years ago or 3,000 miles and believe it may be the cause of my latest problem (P358 code) as I’ve tested the circuit and replaced the the cylinder 8 ignition coil & cleared the codes, but the problem still exists. My 12 month warranty expired and I see that Flagship One has them now and they appear to offer a lifetime warranty. Thanks, Dennis
Be careful with the Lif
@Anewaltj -
I have not resolved the problem, and I can tell I have spent a TON of money trying to get the 2 warning lights taken care of. I would say to be careful with FS1's "lifetime warranty". That was the deal when we bought ours from them and they would only give us credit for a limited warranty, even tho they advertised as a lifetime warranty. I still have the Engine and the Wrench lights on. We have tried 4 different PCMs so far. All I know is that this so SOOOOO frustrating!

@Anewaltj -
CORRECTION: FS1's warranty, when we purchased the original PCM, was a ONE YEAR WARRANTY....not LIFETIME WARRANTY, as you mentioned. Still, we were dissatisfied with the way FS1 dealt with us since we were within the one-year time frame.

@Anewaltj -
So the answer is no.....just came back from the repair shop....I've had (4) rebuilt units, (2) from ProTech, (2) from FS1.....all have different error codes, and the car still doesn't run....I've replaced spark plugs and coils, new battery....I'm sending the 2nd one back to FS1. FS1 has been good to deal with, and after I did a D&B on all of the companies, they seem to be one of the largest.
Be careful with the Lif

I have not resolved the problem, and I can tell I have spent a TON of money trying to get the 2 warning lights taken care of. I would say to be careful with FS1's "lifetime warranty". That was the deal when we bought ours from them and they would only give us credit for a limited warranty, even tho they advertised as a lifetime warranty. I still have the Engine and the Wrench lights on. We have tried 4 different PCMs so far. All I know is that this so SOOOOO frustrating!
thanks. you have confirmed my fears.......my car is still in the shop and doesn't run.....I've had 2 PCM's from ProTech and 2 from FS1...I'vs spent many hours reviewing and talking to all of the "rebuilders" and was told today that these are very difficult to repair, no new ones and no luck finding one from a salvage yard....my car will probably be listed as junk in the near future.....

So the answer is no.....just came back from the repair shop....I've had (4) rebuilt units, (2) from ProTech, (2) from FS1.....all have different error codes, and the car still doesn't run....I've replaced spark plugs and coils, new battery....I'm sending the 2nd one back to FS1. FS1 has been good to deal with, and after I did a D&B on all of the companies, they seem to be one of the largest.

thanks. you have confirmed my fears.......my car is still in the shop and doesn't run.....I've had 2 PCM's from ProTech and 2 from FS1...I'vs spent many hours reviewing and talking to all of the "rebuilders" and was told today that these are very difficult to repair, no new ones and no luck finding one from a salvage yard....my car will probably be listed as junk in the near future.....
That is sad to hear. It's hard to decide when enough is enough... maybe when the funds dry up!

Rebuilt PCM- I wanted to update my previous posts, in hopes that this may save others from the 5 months of hunting for a PCM that works.
So after my 2005 w/47k miles wouldn't shift into gear and then acted like the transmission wouldn't shift, I had it scanned and turn up 13 error codes. Mechanic thought it was a transmission problem, but transmission shop said it was fine, it was an electrical problem, so towed to another shop (Xpertech, in Asheville) they were great, quickly diagnosed as a PCM issue....now the fun begins..NOT.
After they checked local salvage yards and Ford Parts, there were no salvage or new units available..So I went to the internet and read all of the reviews, selected ProTech for a rebuilt PCM, they sent 2 different units, neither worked, old error codes gone ,but both had new codes, They were good about tech support and ended up refunding my ($599), then I went to Flagship One (FS1), same thing, 2 different units, neither worked both had new and different error codes, the last one had no ground to 2 cylinders...(still haven't received a refund for returned unit) and only speak to customer service. Another internet search for a salvage unit (Junkyard Parts locator) so my shop could re flash it, but none showed up. I rescanned this Forum, and found Midwest Teckmart.com..I spoke to the owner who didn't want to rebuild my original unit but highly recommended. A.C.E.(Automotive Computer Exchange) in Davie Fla....their website didn't list service for these Thunderbirds, so I called explained my dilemma...Richard came back and said they couldn't rebuild my unit...but then said he'd check something else and said he could have a unit built with some new and some old parts for my VIN#. $1,090. It came from Auto Module Source, but same address as ACE, 4690 SW 83rd street, Davie, Fla. IT WORKS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX ! Now the car runs fantastic and the gas mileage is better than 24 mpg. This is the 1st. repair of any kind I've done on the car in 3-1/2 years of owning it. $2,800 for the new PCM, battery, power steering pump, drive belt, evaporator Solenoid, Plugs, and Coils (bought from Amazon on recommendation from this Forum). This Forum has been extremely helpful, and I hope my post can save others some time.

Back