2003 PCM

Hello everyone.....I've done the search on this forum for posts relating to PCM replacements. But I still have a question....how do I know what part number to get? The number on my old PCM said "3W4A-JJ replaces 3W6A-BJ." But I can find both part numbers online. And I'm finding many of the same part number but different letters after the last dash i.e. 3W6A-12A650-AA vs 3W6A-12A650-BJ. How do I know which one I need? Thanks!

Hello everyone.....I've done the search on this forum for posts relating to PCM replacements. But I still have a question....how do I know what part number to get? The number on my old PCM said "3W4A-JJ replaces 3W6A-BJ." But I can find both part numbers online. And I'm finding many of the same part number but different letters after the last dash i.e. 3W6A-12A650-AA vs 3W6A-12A650-BJ. How do I know which one I need? Thanks!
I replaced or should have said a Ford dealer replaced the main CPU in my 03 Tbird - 4 or 5 years ago. The car broke down right in front of their dealership, so I just coasted into their service area. Even back then they tried to tell me the part was obsolete and they couldn't find one. I had to find the part myself - found aftermarket part at an O'Reillys - 4 states over. Dealer had to reprogram and cut new keys but it worked. Sorry I can't help you on part number off hand, but I will try to see if I still have the paperwork for that repair and see if part number is on it. If I can find the paper work I will post part number.

good luck

Sorry can't help with the numbers either but had to replace PCM in my 03. Local dealership in Texas found one in Chicago...………..said they shipped but, it never arrived. Ended up sending mine to Car Computer Exchange for a rebuild. They were half price and easy to work with and communicated well. It's only been 2 months but seems that issue is resolved. Now if the other issues were resolved...…….I might consider keeping the bird ?? Still very frustrating how hard it is to get replacement parts.

I replaced or should have said a Ford dealer replaced the main CPU in my 03 Tbird - 4 or 5 years ago. The car broke down right in front of their dealership, so I just coasted into their service area. Even back then they tried to tell me the part was obsolete and they couldn't find one. I had to find the part myself - found aftermarket part at an O'Reillys - 4 states over. Dealer had to reprogram and cut new keys but it worked. Sorry I can't help you on part number off hand, but I will try to see if I still have the paperwork for that repair and see if part number is on it. If I can find the paper work I will post part number.

good luck
Thank you.... that would be great!

Sorry can't help with the numbers either but had to replace PCM in my 03. Local dealership in Texas found one in Chicago...………..said they shipped but, it never arrived. Ended up sending mine to Car Computer Exchange for a rebuild. They were half price and easy to work with and communicated well. It's only been 2 months but seems that issue is resolved. Now if the other issues were resolved...…….I might consider keeping the bird ?? Still very frustrating how hard it is to get replacement parts.
Thanks a lot! This is helpful. Maybe I should consider having mine rebuilt. How long did it take to get it sent out and received back? I guess I'll be out of a car for that amount of time.

Just a little more information about the company I've been dealing with.....Thunderbird Specialties / Powersport. We bought a $995 PCM from them in September 2017. In May 2018, we started to get error codes (wrench light and engine light) but our reputable mechanic could not validate anything wrong with our car according to the error codes. We sent the PCM back to Thunderbird Specialties for a replacement since they advertised a "One Year Warranty"....not advertised as a 'Limited Warranty.' After we sent it back, they told us the PCM was not faulty and they could send it back to us or give us 4/12 of what we paid since we got use out of it for 8 months! They PCM didn't malfunction until the convertible top was put down and was in the heat of St. Louis weather in the cabin of my car. TS could not replicate the problem hence said the PCM was not faulty. So....long story short....they now have our $995 PCM AND will only refund $325 for a PCM that went bad after 8 months use. I'm trying to find a reputable source to deal with, so I truly appreciate all of your comments.

Debbie, I'm no help and will probably only add to the confusion - My paper work says I replaced the ECM - (engine control module) and the part number I replaced it with is - 2W6Z-12A650- I went to Ford part website and put in my VIN # and it said the ECM should have been 3W6Z-12A650??????

I'm no mechanic - I worked as a parts replacer, for 4 years while going to school - for a national mechanic shop - but that was 40 years ago when cars were simple and didn't have all these electronics.

This Tbird has a FEM (Front Electronic Module), REM (Rear Electronic Module), ECM, and who knows what else. Are we even talking about the same part? Is the ECM I replaced the same thing as what you are calling the PCM??

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Ford part website I went to - https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/ does have the ECM listed.

Last edited:
My 2003 Premier has been sitting at my dealership since October waiting for a new PCM. Now told there are none and more than likely won't be in my lifetime. Purchased a rebuilt that would allow the car to start, but not shift smoothly. Replaced that and the next wouldn't let the car start. The problem started after a fuel purchase and the car died, wouldn't fire and that was it. PCM rebuilder checked my PCM and says it's good. The dealer says no. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, including referrals to techs in the South East with a history of solving these problems. Thanks.

Frankie the Fink

The dealer's are the WORST.... They tried to talk me into a $1,500 repair and a $1,300 repair in two separate instances and both problems fixed for under $100.... Why does the dealer say the module is bad ? What diagnostic did they run and what were the results ? You can't take the statements of the service advisers verbatim.

Where are you in the Southeast ?? Either way I think I'd get my car away from that dealer..
Might be worth calling and talking with these guys, and get their take on things....if you have your symptoms and any diagnostic codes from the dealer it would help:

The dealer's are the WORST.... They tried to talk me into a $1,500 repair and a $1,300 repair in two separate instances and both problems fixed for under $100.... Why does the dealer say the module is bad ? What diagnostic did they run and what were the results ? You can't take the statements of the service advisers verbatim.

Where are you in the Southeast ?? Either way I think I'd get my car away from that dealer..
Might be worth calling and talking with these guys, and get their take on things....if you have your symptoms and any diagnostic codes from the dealer it would help:

Thanks I will definitely look into them. I’m currently near Orlando but the car is in SC.

@Ghost Diver, what was the outcome of your PCM problem?
I've got my 2005 in a repair shop now with 17 error codes, and they are trying to find a used PCM to reprogram...I've searched for rebuilt ones at Both ProTech and Flagship1.... I'm in Asheville, NC
Thanks for your reply

Last edited by a moderator: