2003 overheating on trip | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 overheating on trip

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeffr
  • Start date Start date
Jeffr

Jeffr

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi All,
So, for the first time I took a ride in my 03 to see my grandsons in Temecula, CA from Sun City AZ. Round trip ended up being about 775 miles. I must say I was a little nervous due to not having it very long and the things I've had to replace since owning it for only a few months. All went well except for the return trip, right around Quartsite I was on and incline and the heat gauge went red. Then I reduced my speed and babied it and it came down. Was this a mistake on my part for maybe not switching gears from D5 to D4 of is this normal, can't imagine it is. What do you experts think?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please follow the prompts on future posts. Your subject "D4 to D5" didn't have a model year or summarize your post about overheating. Good topics get more responses.
I updated your subject.

You can use an OBDII Reader to monitor your coolant temperature along with a phone app like Torque.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Without knowing the details, warm temps, high elevations, and steep inclines all make it harder for the cooling system to keep up.

Hi All,
So, for the first time I took a ride in my 03 to see my grandsons in Temecula, CA from Sun City AZ. Round trip ended up being about 775 miles. I must say I was a little nervous due to not having it very long and the things I've had to replace since owning it for only a few months. All went well except for the return trip, right around Quartsite I was on and incline and the heat gauge went red. Then I reduced my speed and babied it and it came down. Was this a mistake on my part for maybe not switching gears from D5 to D4 of is this normal, can't imagine it is. What do you experts think?
Not normal, was the top down, or up using the A/C ? The reason I asked, when the a/c is on the fan works contant, if no a/c is used fan works by coolant temperature' maybe the fan is not working, or maybe the coolant level was low, if it was an extreme angle.

Back