Took My 2003 T-Bird On It’s Maiden Road Trip

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Last edited:
I’ve sparsely used my paid time off with the hospital this past year and since my anniversary is in early September, I popped my road trip cherry by making the 10 hour drive from Texas to Alabama with nothing but me, my luggage, and my red roadster. Not including the two travel days I spent the 8th through the 12th reconnecting with friends and family I hadn’t seen in 5-6 years, but the other big allure was toting my Thunderbird around Auburn and testing how she’d hold up on a real long distance drive.

I’d just installed the last of my bolt on upgrades a few days prior and I have to say she did phenomenal on the trip! I averaged around 80-90mph for the majority of the trip, dropping to 75 or 80 in cruise controloccasionally to give my legs a slight break. Almost did 20 over past a cop in MS too, but slowed down in time and avoided any out of state ticket nightmares. Gas mileage was a solid 23.5mpg but I’m still wrestling with a bipolar oxygen sensor code Issue so that’s close enough for highway driving.

All in all the only other issue was removing the hundred or so ants that decided to explore my engine bay and gaskets after parking too close to a mound one night, that was interesting to say the least, but I still had a ton of fun being out on the open road all by myself for once. Now I just need to find an interstate that isn’t as much of an eyesore as I-20 is; beautiful scenery equates to a beautiful drive.

Bonus are some attached pics of Christine while stopped in Seale and on the road coming home:View attachment 12792View attachment 12793View attachment 12794View attachment 12795View attachment 12796View attachment 12797
I know you enjoyed your ride. I also have a 2003, red and black. On my 18 hr trip to visit my sister in Fla, I got 29 mpg and I also had a bad coil pak. The miledge may be attributed to the fact that I took out the large center mounted emitions muffler under the car,and put in duel glass pak mufflers. I love that it has a Jaguar engine with 4 valves per cyl. She really flies. Bob

I’ve sparsely used my paid time off with the hospital this past year and since my anniversary is in early September, I popped my road trip cherry by making the 10 hour drive from Texas to Alabama with nothing but me, my luggage, and my red roadster. Not including the two travel days I spent the 8th through the 12th reconnecting with friends and family I hadn’t seen in 5-6 years, but the other big allure was toting my Thunderbird around Auburn and testing how she’d hold up on a real long distance drive.
Bonus are some attached pics of Christine while stopped in Seale and on the road coming home:

Good looking Bird!
I drive my 2004 on a 10 hour trip twice a year, between NJ and NC, unfortunately on 95 most of the way, traffic and trucks take some of the fun out of it, but still, effortless driving at speed (or at least fast as I can without attracting too much attention, Jersey plates and all...)
I have the cold air intake installed, but that's it for mods. I also get 23-25mph, depending on how much traffic there is
It's not the roomiest long distance car, but I'm 6'2" and i'm comfortable. I've wired a cable that allows me to listen to podcasts and music from my iPhone thru the car's sound system.
I always put the hardtop on for the trip, just quieter that way, trucks and wind are not fun to deal with for 10 hours, then off it comes when I arrive

Back