2003 hard to start & power steering issues | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 hard to start & power steering issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Baby Blue
  • Start date Start date
Baby Blue

Baby Blue

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My 2003 Thunderbird Premium is having several issues that have yet to be diagnosed. It has starting problems. It will start and die repeatedly. Sometimes turn over but not start. However, if you turn the ignition enough it will eventually start. During the cold weather it doesn't even want to turn over on most turns of the key. When you finally get it running it has several other symptoms: the power steering doesn't work properly (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and will go in and out intermittently); the turn signals do not work properly (flash on an off but at odd intervals). I sent the FEM in to Module Masters for a rebuild, but they said it checked out fine. I have had the PATS system reset. I have had new coils and plugs installed. I have had the ignition cylinder changed. But nothing has helped. The problem is worsened. Does anyone think this could be the ECM? I am getting desperate for a fix.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

These cars frequently have fuel pump issues. The power steering and turn signals definitely are normally a bad FEM!

Could be something as simple as a weak battery. Exactly how old is the car's battery?

Can you tell us if there are any codes stored in the diagnostics. Don't have an OBDII reader? Either get one or go on over to an Auto Zone store & have them read the codes for you. With codes as a tool someone here can probably help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2003 Thunderbird Premium is having several issues that have yet to be diagnosed. It has starting problems. It will start and die repeatedly. Sometimes turn over but not start. However, if you turn the ignition enough it will eventually start. During the cold weather it doesn't even want to turn over on most turns of the key. When you finally get it running it has several other symptoms: the power steering doesn't work properly (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and will go in and out intermittently); the turn signals do not work properly (flash on an off but at odd intervals). I sent the FEM in to Module Masters for a rebuild, but they said it checked out fine. I have had the PATS system reset. I have had new coils and plugs installed. I have had the ignition cylinder changed. But nothing has helped. The problem is worsened. Does anyone think this could be the ECM? I am getting desperate for a fix.
Possible fuel pump for the starting and the module behind the seats and on the driver side under the kick panel is responsible for the power steering possibly. There are two modules. I cannot remember which one affected mine.. I sent mine to MIDWEST tech to have both mine fixed.. I believe it was the one behind the seat

The starting issue may be the fuel pump or a sticky fuel pump relay (cheap fix); also I have had a crank-but-no-start issue twice with my '02 but when I cleared some ODBC codes it started right up - strange but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back