2002 Will not Start after running for 5 minutes

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Mine's an 04 and I read where it has two pumps. GRRR

So we got a free Leaf to drive so I stored the Bird over the winter with a battery tender. After the first month, I started the car and all was fine. The rest of the winter we had too much going on and I forgot to start it anymore.
Today I took the tender off, got in, and it started up first turn. Backed out into the driveway to let it idle and warm up. It ran for 5 minutes then just quit. I have 3/4 of a tank of gas. It cranks fine but will not run. It doesn't even catch and try to run, it is just endless cranking.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
MAF Sensor

What happened to you is the exact events that happened to me. My car sat to long. New #17 fuse, new fuel pump, car then fired right up. After running I then installed
new battery ( old one soft ), and new ac compressor ( leaking freon ). AC is ice cold.

The fuel in the tank was going bad so replaced fuel also. My bird only has 11,947
miles, but age got it.

My 2002 bird has two openings like it has two fuel pumps, but I only changed the fuel
pump for the engine. Do not know if there is two pumps or only one.

If the transfer fuel pump is bad you only have issues if you are a quarter tank or less.

Heres my recommendation. I have done this before and asked ford dealer for estimate. Those clowns wanted $2300 which included parts and labor. I did this myself watching that video in the previous post. I got a lifetime warranty on the pump i bought from o'reillys auto parts which cost only $109. The ford clowns would only give me 1 year warranty on parts and labor. Total time to do this job was 4 hours. The biggest headache is getting the plastic jar lid off. There is minimal to no room at all. I rented the tool to take jar lid from auto zone. I had to hold tool on the lid while my buddy worked the socket wrench. Painful but i got it done. I also learned a lot from this. Engineers could have designed a lid with nuts and bolts but then that would have been too easy. Best of luck to you. Phil
Could you please give me the part number that o'reilleys sold it under, they keep telling me that it takes two pumps but the schematic shows only one pump. -- Thanks

Let me find my original order, I purchased it from partsgeek, paid $86 for it, all it
said in the order was right side fuel pump for 2002 Thunderbird.

I will look for it and post what I find. New pump fit perfectly, and works great.

Here is the information on the fuel pump I ordered.

Attached file is order info from partsgeek.com
tbird.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The shop manual says to drop the tanks about an inch by loosening the straps. Would that have helped getting the pumps out. I am thinking that may give you a little working room

I did not drop tank at all. You do need to be careful with the plastic fuel lines, two
of them. Room is so tight not sure lowering tank would help.

Do not force or bend fuel lines, be easy with them, should be fine.

Press tabs on fuel line connections, lift up on fuel lines just enough to separate
from connector, and move fuel lines off to the side.

It takes two to install new fuel pump, one to hold fuel pump in place, and to
position jar type nut, second person to tighten jar nut.

I did not drop tank at all. You do need to be careful with the plastic fuel lines, two
of them. Room is so tight not sure lowering tank would help.

Do not force or bend fuel lines, be easy with them, should be fine.

Press tabs on fuel line connections, lift up on fuel lines just enough to separate
from connector, and move fuel lines off to the side.

It takes two to install new fuel pump, one to hold fuel pump in place, and to
position jar type nut, second person to tighten jar nut.
Got it , thanks again !

Well, back on the road again. Both the fuel transfer pickup and fuel pump were bad. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Excellent, nice job!
Just wondering, is the transfer pump powered?

Thanks

Apparently, if you don't get it replaced a quarter of the tank doesn't get used. The reason it is not called a fuel pump is because it doesn't feed/pump fuel to the engine, it moves fuel to the side where the fuel pump sump is so the fuel pump can send it to the engine, if I am understanding what he was telling me.

hello everybody,
after misfires on my Tbird, I changed the 8 spark plugs, no problem during 200 km and again misfires and finally impossible to start the Tbird . So I changed 8 ignition coils. Allways impossible to start.
Now, the Tbird is at a Ford garage.
Perhaps the fuel pump is out of order. Wait and see ( but I don't like wait ) !

Jean-Luc from France.

Hello, it seems that the fuel pump of my Tbird is out of order.
The light flash 16 times on the dashboard? Do you know why ?

Jean-Luc , from France

Back