2002 drivers side window won't auto open/close for seal

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was able to find and replace the ECM front electronic module on our car. That fixed most everything.
Except the driver side window will not jog down when the door is open. So I replaced the master window switch.
Window will still not jog down. Passengers side works fine.
Any suggestions???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Attached is page 58 of the 2002 Thunderbird Owners Manual that describes the short drop glass calibration procedure.

Proper operation of the short drop glass requires that the windows be calibrated. Though your windows will have been calibrated before your vehicle is delivered to you, it is possible for the windows to lose calibration. If a window loses its calibration, your short drop feature will lower the window, but will not raise it again when the door is closed. To re-calibrate the window, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Another possible effect of lost calibration is that the feature may not lower the window. To re-calibrate the window in this case, lower the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds. Immediately after releasing the window down switch, press the up switch to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for 2 seconds

P.S. Choosing a good subject is vital for getting responses. Your post isn't about "2002 thunderbird ECM" so I'm revising it now.

Attachments

• powerwindows.pdf
    8.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Frank, my 2003 had a window problem last week. It would go down that tiny bit to open, but it would not go back up. I brought it to the Ford dealer who said it would need a computer reset. It took him a total of about one minute to reset! No problem since!

I do not know if that is the same problem, but you may want to check.

When the windows will not close completely the simple reset is as follows:. Push the window button all the way down holding the button for a count of 10, then push the window button raising the window all the way to the top holding the button for a count of 10 that will reset the window regulators.

When the windows will not close completely the simple reset is as follows:. Push the window button all the way down holding the button for a count of 10, then push the window button raising the window all the way to the top holding the button for a count of 10 that will reset the window regulators.
Thanks Angry Bird. ... Interesting ... The tech that fixed mine did not touch the window. He sat in the driver's seat and asked for the keys and stepped on brake as he did other stuff around the dash that I could not see. There might be more than one way to do it.

Thanks Angry Bird. ... Interesting ... The tech that fixed mine did not touch the window. He sat in the driver's seat and asked for the keys and stepped on brake as he did other stuff around the dash that I could not see. There might be more than one way to do it.
He was probably using smoke and mirrors!

Hope that he didn't charge you too much.

Regards.
Gord

He was probably using smoke and mirrors!

Hope that he didn't charge you too much.

Regards.
Gord
There was NO charge and came with some delicious ice tea [temps were in high 80s]. He may have had his hand on button and I just did not see him. Anyway, I am happy as long as it works! :)

There was NO charge and came with some delicious ice tea [temps were in high 80s]. He may have had his hand on button and I just did not see him. Anyway, I am happy as long as it works! :)
Well the price was right and the ice tea was a bonus! This is an issue that may reoccur occasionally, low or dead battery usually or if the battery needs to be disconnected for whatever reason. If you are not already using one, a battery tender while parked when the car is not in use is recommended.

Regards,

Gord

Well the price was right and the ice tea was a bonus! This is an issue that may reoccur occasionally, low or dead battery usually or if the battery needs to be disconnected for whatever reason. If you are not already using one, a battery tender while parked when the car is not in use is recommended.

Regards,

Gord
Thanks Gord. Fortunately I have a relatively new battery [about ten months old], and I do have a battery tender in the garage when needed. I use it 24/7/365, so it has seen a lot of use [83K]. I bought it to drive, not to sit in the garage. I love my TBird!! Have a great day!

Replaced battery yesterday, followed restart protocol per Owners Manual and now the drivers side window will not close completely once I turn off ignition and close door. I have to get back in, engage ignition, roll up window, then shut door; hard... Any thoughts?

I have replaced a couple of batteries but in my case after a couple of resets like you did my windows adjusted back to normal. I would repeat the steps a few more times, it should reset eventually. Good luck.

Merging with an existing topic. No need to start another thread when this has already been discussed. Also you will get more responses by replying to an existing fairly recent thread.

My 2002 hasn't had a problem, till now, with the "short drop" or "jog" since I've had it over the last year and a half. I'm second owner, car has never had issues. Drive it about 2 times a week and as battery is a year old never have had a problem with low voltage. Then started driving it daily last week as my main car is in shop. Two days in I noticed that the "short drop function" isn't working on either window? Tried the reset procedure from manual and didn't work. My manual says to hold switches for 2 seconds, not 10 so did that. Tried it half dozen times, no fix. Tried it for 10 seconds holding switches after reading this thread, did it about 4 times. Still no fix. Anyone know another secret fix for this issue. I'm not about to take it to a repair shop and spend hundreds of dollars for troubleshooting. And my Ford dealer charges for everything, and doesn't serve ice tea LOL.....

I was able to find and replace the ECM front electronic module on our car. That fixed most everything.
Except the driver side window will not jog down when the door is open. So I replaced the master window switch.
Window will still not jog down. Passengers side works fine.
Any suggestions???
I had the same problem with my 2002 except it was the passenger side. I tore the door apart and replaced the sensor. Problem solved. It is unbelievable how many problems exist with these cars. I would never have bought mine had I known then what I know now. But, they are fun to drive.

It is unbelievable how many problems exist with these cars. I would never have bought mine had I known then what I know now. But, they are fun to drive.
The car was made over 20 years ago. Surely you don't expect it to be totally trouble-free after two decades?

The problems with most car marquees with any age on them generally will fall into a few categories that are just weak or high failure items in the design. The retro birds seem to have mostly electrical problems with the various computers, wiring or related components. The suspension components also seem to wear a bit more than other cars I've owned. A/C problems seem to be an issue as well.

The engine and transmissions seem pretty bulletproof from what have read and experienced. Nothing much unusual about maintaining a nearly 20 year old car...

I ran my car through the standard (2 sec) and non-standard (10 sec) reset protocol and no luck. Seems like the window short drop glass feature works but doesn't. Let me explain. While calibrating, I drop windows down, hold, raise, then hold. As soon as I raise either window at the top. the windows seal completely, but as I hold button down at the top, the windows drop and don't seal when opening/.closing door or shifting into gear. Oddly enough, when the windows don't seal at the top, I lower windows, hold, then raise and dont hold at the top, the windows remained sealed but don't drop when opening or closing door on either side. So confused and hoping someone can suggest another solution (ECMs are so expensive).

Back