• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 4th of July Special Offer **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

1962 Emergency Convertible Deck Lid Open Switch

kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I know that the electronic relay replacement systems feature a remotely-wired switch that can be hidden under the back seat or in the console, and can be used to unlock and raise the deck lid.

Does anyone know how to wire the factory relay system to replicate this function?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does anyone know how to wire the factory relay system to replicate this function?
What makes you think the factory system can be rewired to do this? Has someone else reported doing this?

What makes you think the factory system can be rewired to do this? Has someone else reported doing this?
Page 10 of the factory convertible top manual details how to jumper certain relays to both unlock the deck lid and to raise the deck lid.
If that can be done it stands to follow that wiring a permanent switch to enable these functions in an emergency should be doable.

In fact, it appears that James English markets a kit which enables that very function.
Tbird emergency switch.jpg

***UPDATE***

Based on information I have gathered on the Internet, and through my own investigation:

To unlock the deck, simply wire a momentary pushbutton or toggle switch to the Orange wire (#411 on the Unlock Decklid relay) to +12-volts. To open the deck wire a second separate momentary pushbutton or toggle switch from a 12V source to the Deck Open relay (yellow-violet wire).

It's VERY IMPORTANT to realize the limitations of the devices. First off, test these connections with a temporary jumper wire to make sure that they provide the desired function, before making any permanent connections. Remember, these are old cars and have potentially been 'customized' by many others before you, so there's no telling what wiring 'fixes' have been made. I have personally encountered several of these fixes myself, so use the described color codes as a guideline only. The wire color codes or designations may not always correspond.

Next, remember that these switches will only UNLOCK and OPEN the deck lid. You can't use them to CLOSE or LOCK the deck lid, so they should only be used in case of emergency to access the trunk and/or to provide access to the convertible top relays & circuits for emergency repairs.

If you are worried or not confident in your abilities to modify or change these circuits, leave it to a pro.

Also, there are Emergency Deck Unlock/Deck Open wiring kits available from vendors online like James English, but you (or an electrician) will still need to make the connections at the harness/relays.

Good luck!

Back