1962 convertible deck issue

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
62 Bird, convertible top. When I hit the switch to close the deck lid with the top enclosed in the trunk, the deck lid continues to close regardless of which position the control switch is in. I have checked all the limit switches and relays. Any ideas??
Also, I ordered a new control switch that mounts on the drivers door. My original switch has 4 wires that plug into a switch with 4 terminals. The new switch only has 3 terminals. The vendor says it is the right switch. Duh???
Thank you.

Is it possible that you have a sticking relay? Or a dead relay. I had a winch that only went one way because of a stuck relay. Not an expert, I have not rebuilt the system in my '62 yet. But I too am trying to learn more about the top system on these cars.

Is it possible that you have a sticking relay? Or a dead relay. I had a winch that only went one way because of a stuck relay. Not an expert, I have not rebuilt the system in my '62 yet. But I too am trying to learn more about the top system on these cars.
Thank you. I have checked all the relays, they are new, but some of the terminals were loose. I crimped them down and sprayed tuner lube on them also. The limit switches are all original. I took the cover off and cleaned the contacts. They have a good continuity across the terminals. This top mechanism is a PITA.
New pump, new rams and relays. Must be in one of the limit switches which are single and double throw contacts. Thanks again and hope your project goes well.

What a gem if you can get it figured out. My '57 is pretty simple in comparison but can still be complicated.

The upgrade might be a good idea. Where can I get a wiring diagram just for the top operation. From the switch thru the relays, pump, solenoids, limit switches etc. Thank you.

If you bought new relays, that might be at least part of your problem. About 7 years ago I assisted in repairing a 63 Bird top control. 50% of the new replacement relays were returned because they were not reliable. Also the 3 and 4 wire terminals on the original wiring harness were either not making contact to the relay or were corroded to the point they were troublesome.

If you bought new relays, that might be at least part of your problem. About 7 years ago I assisted in repairing a 63 Bird top control. 50% of the new replacement relays were returned because they were not reliable. Also the 3 and 4 wire terminals on the original wiring harness were either not making contact to the relay or were corroded to the point they were troublesome.
Thank you. I went thru the relays today, I powered the coil and they all snapped. I will check them again tomorrow on the contact side. I did notice the deck lid operating erratic. Several bumps on the switch and it finally opened up full to the top. Not sure if the new relay panel for $450 will take are of the issues. Thanks again, this is a great site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, I’ve been having issues with my convertible top functioning like it used to and was wondering if there was a quality mechanic shop in Louisiana that I could bring my car to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back