1957 Turn Signal Switch doesn't stay in place when turning | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Turn Signal Switch doesn't stay in place when turning

• Thread starter Thread starter dustymtn
  • Start date Start date
D

dustymtn

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Both the old & new turn signal switches don't stay on like they should when turning. I have to hold the stalk in place. I thought a new switch would solve the problem, but it hasn't. I hope someone has suggestions or a cure - thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like you might have the cancel cam 180 degrees off. The open gap should be toward the switch when the wheel is straight ahead.

Thanks - I checked that. It will cancel if I hold the stalk in place. I just doesn't stick in position during a turn.

Both the old & new turn signal switches don't stay on like they should when turning. I have to hold the stalk in place. I thought a new switch would solve the problem, but it hasn't. I hope someone has suggestions or a cure - thank you!
The problem that I had with my turn indicators was that they would not stay in position and would cancel before I would make a turn. This was due to the turn signal plate assembly not holding the roller firmly against the turn signal detent. The fix for this problem is fairly simple and something that most people can do for themselves. Getting to the turn signal mechanism involves removing the horn ring and steering wheel. Once the steering wheel is off you will have access to the turn signal mechanism and will be able to correct the problem.

Turn Signal Mechanism.png

To remove the turn signal plate from the turn signal mechanism, you will have to unscrew the turn signal arm from the plate shaft and remove the conical spring. The top of the conical spring fits in the groove at the top of the turn signal switch shaft.

Conical Spring.jpg

Now you can lift the turn signal plate assembly out of the housing. Only using hand pressure, bend the plate assembly so that it will press down harder on the detent when it is reinstalled.

Bend the Plate to Increase the Roller Pressure.jpg

Reinstall the turn signal plate assembly into the turn signal mechanism and install the conical spring and turn signal arm. You can test the turn signal operation by placing the steering wheel on the shaft, without installing the nut. Verify that the turn signals stay in position until the turn is completed. When you return the wheel to the center position they should automatically cancel. Once you have verified that the turn signals are working properly, install the steering wheel and properly torque the retaining nut and install the horn ring.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back