1957 sunvisor does not stay up.

F

farmerdick

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1957 sunvisor. Bought new swing arm. There was a bit of tension on the old arm when pulling it out of the visor. Did notice a 3/4 inch wear spot about midway. Inserted the new arm
fairlly easily. The visor will not stay in place in any position. Did i miss something here? Just hangs straight down.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What you need to do to increase the tension on the new arm is to bend it slightly. A small kink in the rod will give it the tension necessary so that the visor stays where you place it.

CASCO mentions the problem you are having with the reproduction sunvisors in their October 1997 ThunderEnlightening newsletter.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

CASCO.jpg

CASCO stopped publishing the ThunderEnlightening newsletter in February 2011. You can view all 23 of the ThunderEnlightening newsletters below:

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• ThunderEnlightening-10.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
1957 sunvisor. Bought new swing arm. There was a bit of tension on the old arm when pulling it out of the visor. Did notice a 3/4 inch wear spot about midway. Inserted the new arm
fairlly easily. The visor will not stay in place in any position. Did i miss something here? Just hangs straight down.
Great suggestion, I have been living with drooping visors for 30 years. I feel stupid for not having thought of such a logical fix. Thanks

Sorry for the late reply- no modem for 2 weeks. I called Casco and was told that the repro arms are made in Canada and use metric dimensions. They said to make a VERY SLIGHT bend about 5" in from end and another 2' in
the other end which has the spring, at 90degrees to the first bend. There is a metal tube in the visor so go easy on the bends.

Back