1957 Turn Signal Switch Replacement

D

dustymtn

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all -
Is there a procedure for removing & installing the turn signal switch wiring? I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the old wiring harness & install the new wiring harness in my 1957 steering column.
Thanks for you advice!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here's some info I saved. I didn't write it and have not had to do it. Roger Fuller wrote the main part.
===============
If it’s like a 57, the horn rim comes off with a bit of a press and twist motion. Remove a nut, and use a puller to take off the wheel. Switch comes out with a couple of screws, and you have to fish the wires out. They disconnect right under the dash.

Roger Fuller

Use a pull string or wire to follow one of the old wires up the column. Remember to unscrew the telescoping hub all the way and push it back. There are 3 screws holding the chrome hub to the column. One of the screws is behind the signal switch. Remove these 3 screws also so you can get at where the wires come out of the column and into the hub. There is a sleeve in the column that the wires go through It is only about 1/2 x 3/4". There is only enough room for not more than 2 bullet ends of the wires at a time. I stagger them and use 1 layer of blue painters tape to hold them together. Thread them through the loosened hub and down the sleeve in the column. Push them in as you pull on the pull string or wire you already prepared. I've done it several times, it works for me.

Here's some info I saved. I didn't write it and have not had to do it. Roger Fuller wrote the main part.
===============
If it’s like a 57, the horn rim comes off with a bit of a press and twist motion. Remove a nut, and use a puller to take off the wheel. Switch comes out with a couple of screws, and you have to fish the wires out. They disconnect right under the dash.

Roger Fuller

Use a pull string or wire to follow one of the old wires up the column. Remember to unscrew the telescoping hub all the way and push it back. There are 3 screws holding the chrome hub to the column. One of the screws is behind the signal switch. Remove these 3 screws also so you can get at where the wires come out of the column and into the hub. There is a sleeve in the column that the wires go through It is only about 1/2 x 3/4". There is only enough room for not more than 2 bullet ends of the wires at a time. I stagger them and use 1 layer of blue painters tape to hold them together. Thread them through the loosened hub and down the sleeve in the column. Push them in as you pull on the pull string or wire you already prepared. I've done it several times, it works for me.
Thank you, Tom! I really appreciate your help. I'm fairly new to to this car, I didn't know if all '57's have a telescoping column, but I'll go figure it out on this one..

Thank you, Tom! I really appreciate your help. I'm fairly new to to this car, I didn't know if all '57's have a telescoping column, but I'll go figure it out on this one..
All first-generation T-Birds (1955-57) have the telescoping steering column. It is a nice standard feature. I would suggest that you take time to read the owner's handbook for your car. It contains lots of good information about your car.
I will also point out there are lots of easier jobs to do than this one. Make sure that you clearly identify where each wire connects to the wiring harness. This is especially critical if the wiring is older and the wiring color has faded, as it had in my car.

Back