1968 Turn Signal Switch Wiring

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1968 Thunderbird that I am having some turn signal problems with. The previous owner installed a new turn signal switch and completely hacked and cut up the wiring in the steering column. I ordered a new turn signal switch from oer, part number 13341F. It is for 68 Tilt column with out cruise control. My car has cruise control but they don't make a replacement. The problem i am having is wiring in the new turn signal switch the wiring colors are completely different and as stated the previous owner has hacked wires together and made a mess of things. The good thing is I have the original connector and he did not hack anything on the car side, just the steering column harness side. Has anyone installed a turn signal switch from oer? Or have a idea where to begin on wiring this thing up correctly? Also if it would help I can post pictures of any wiring or connectors I am looking at! Thank you for any info!

Thanks for the reply biddle. I do have a factory wiring diagram, but the problem I am having is the oer turn signal switch I believe after research uses the mustang wiring and I cant figure where all the wires go even when looking at the diagram, for the mustang and the t-bird. Was just seeing if anybody has had to mess with this before. Thanks again!

Tyjag. I was having trouble installing the electronic signal sequencer, because, like you, I could not find the wires. I went through the whole line and found that they changed the wiring, so it didn't work. As you said it was changed by the previous owner the same thing may have happened. You should check the whole route.

Thanks for the reply biddle. I do have a factory wiring diagram, but the problem I am having is the oer turn signal switch I believe after research uses the mustang wiring and I cant figure where all the wires go even when looking at the diagram, for the mustang and the t-bird. Was just seeing if anybody has had to mess with this before. Thanks again!
Hi I have a 67 and was fortunate to buy the original ford part on EBay. If your switch wires colours don’t match the connector under the dash I expect you will have to get a manual and trace each wire. Mine had 13 different colours. I am sure the 67 cougar was similar to mine and much cheaper but colours didn’t match. Good luck

Thanks Glamourbird I purchased a wiring diagram from Ecklers and I has helped but I think the problem is the aftermarket switch fits mustang and cougar and that's the problem is its color coded to the mustang. I have also been using cougars unlimited web page, but they have a service bulletin that I cant pull up that is making things difficult as well. Also since the mustang does not have sequential tail lights it makes it difficult to follow the diagram. Thanks every one for the replys!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-07 210856.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 210856.png
    29 KB · Views: 6
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1968 Thunderbird that I am having some turn signal problems with. The previous owner installed a new turn signal switch and completely hacked and cut up the wiring in the steering column. I ordered a new turn signal switch from oer, part number 13341F. It is for 68 Tilt column with out cruise control. My car has cruise control but they don't make a replacement. The problem i am having is wiring in the new turn signal switch the wiring colors are completely different and as stated the previous owner has hacked wires together and made a mess of things. The good thing is I have the original connector and he did not hack anything on the car side, just the steering column harness side. Has anyone installed a turn signal switch from oer? Or have a idea where to begin on wiring this thing up correctly? Also if it would help I can post pictures of any wiring or connectors I am looking at! Thank you for any info!
The normal tilt column switch does not directly fit a Thunderbird with cruise control. The cruise control switch, C8SZ-13341-C has male pins instead of female pins.
The top contacts for the horn and cruise are different locations. The circuit diagram for the cruise switch can be found in the 1968 Thunderbird Shop Manual Supplement.
The wiring is similar to the 1967 and 1969 Thunderbird but uses a rectangular connector instead of the half-moon like the 1968 & up cars.

I spent many hours engineering a solution for this problem.
Contact me at *****************************
I can make up turn signal switches for 1967, 1968, and 1969 Thunderbirds with cruise.
These switches currently disable the cruise control feature but provide full sequential turn signals.
The 1968, 1969, 1970, and 1971 switches that I provide maintain the side turning light feature.
I can also provide the connector shells and pins for DIY repairs.

Thanks Glamourbird I purchased a wiring diagram from Ecklers and I has helped but I think the problem is the aftermarket switch fits mustang and cougar and that's the problem is its color coded to the mustang. I have also been using cougars unlimited web page, but they have a service bulletin that I cant pull up that is making things difficult as well. Also since the mustang does not have sequential tail lights it makes it difficult to follow the diagram. Thanks every one for the replys!
The circuit diagram in the 1968 shop manual is not correct – use the diagrams found in the Ford TSB 84 supplement, Article 1268 available at the FORDification.com TSB database:

Early 1968:
84S-3.jpg

Late 1968: Pg 1
84S-1.jpg

Late 1968 Pg 2
84S-3.jpg

Unfortunately, the text for TSB-84S is no longer visible on the Fordification website (server error).

*Moderator Note* Attach content to your post so it can be a reference for years to come. Linking to 3rd party sites or telling people to email you does not provide a long term reference for those reading the thread.

Attachments

• 84S-2.jpg
    84S-2.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Back