02-05 A/C Blowning HOT AIR !!!HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L
Last seen
Hi everyone I am new to this site and I need your help.
I have a 2004 TB with 2800 mile on it and last weekend the wife and myself went for a drive only to find out that the A/C was only blowing hot or warm air no COLD air at all. I talked with my bother and thinks that I may be low on freon?, so I wanted to recharge the system but I could not find the low side intake connection, can anyone instruct me to its location!. I was going to take the car in to the Ford dealer but my wife said that the car was no longer under warranty can anyone answer that question for me also.
Thank you for your time.
Bill Schopp
luvburd

Moderator Note: 2020- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ne-side-2002-2003-2004-2005-thunderbird.9446/

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy there Bill:
Don't jump and spend money on something that may not be correct. I just checked on another owner that had the same problem:
He said, "The coolant control valve is located on the passenger side of the radiator shroud. You will find three hoses connected to it, two of those hoses running to the heater core, the other routes to the upper radiator hose. This coolant control valve has two electronic actuators that divert the coolant in the appropriate manner. When they malfunction you will get only HOT air blowing from your vents regardless of which temp you set, whether A/C is on, or where you direct the air to come from. The part can be ordered from Direct Ford Parts for $102." -
Installed it himself. Not sure if this is your problem, sounds like it. But, always refer to thensearch function.....There's a wealth of info there for you.

We are having a simiar issue but in this case with AC on Blowing Hot Air driver vents annd Cold Air Passenger Vents

At the same time We had the PO354 Coil D and or primary /secondary malfuction Error (misfiring , stuttering, backfire) .. I replaced Coil D (cylinder 4) and plug .. ran great for a few hours then get the error again ..any possible connection between th e2 issues ?

e85 prices:
Although there were three owners that had the problem and had their CCV's replaced, it does not neccessarily mean that that is your problem.
But please post your resolution for others when you find it.

There are so few of these cars, we may all need this info and what others have done for corrective action, at some time.:cool:

e85 prices:
Although there were three owners that had the problem and had their CCV's replaced, it does not neccessarily mean that that is your problem.
But please post your resolution for others when you find it.

There are so few of these cars, we may all need this info and what others have done for corrective action, at some time.:cool:

OK the only thing I didnt do was
wiper bracket seal and valve cover gasket per..

Water or oil may enter into the ignition coil cover and the
spark plug bore causing a misfire. The MIL will illuminate
when the misfire condition occurs. A coil with improved
water/oil sealing was put into production in March 2004.
Owners who experience this condition are expected to obtain
service through their dealerships. There is an adverse effect
on both emissions and drivability when misfire condition is
present.
Remedy: Two voluntary service campaigns were released
for 2003 MY only for miss-fire conditions. VSC 07M07
replaces ignition coils as needed and valve cover gaskets if
oil has leaked into the spark plug bore. VSC 07N09 replaces
the wiper motor bracket seal. This replacement will be
performed if water is present in the spark plug bore.
Extended warranty coverage to 10 years or 100,000 miles
whichever comes first. For vehicles over 100,000 miles
coverage good until 12/31/2007

http://epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/2007recallreport2.pdf

The data in that last post, on the pdf file, is the same info we talked about last July in the following thread: http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/...ight~2003+100,000+miles+extended+warranty.htm
My posts 6 & 7, on that thread, are copies of the Ford letters, since at that time I was not able to attach them.
The 07M07 referenced in your post of that attachment, is the program that Ford had, to extend the 2003 warranties to 100,000 miles, for COPS

Well I ran it into the dealer today, started stumbling again MIL and Bad Coil D readout ..It probably has more than 1 bad coil and the only way I can test is replace a coil drive it ..let it cool for a few hours , replace a different could drive cool etc..

Far easier to have them check it out on their dime

I am wondering .If one coil goes bad does that affect voltage in the other coils ? causing them to go bad?

Also seems someone had mentioned the coils gettinmg to hot under the Coil Covers and that was causing the issue....been running ideas around about adding maybe 1-2 inch spacers over the threaded area for the 8 bolts on the cover to raise the cover up an inch ..and have anew "wrap around" fashioned (sheet metal)and painted.. maybe heat vents on the sides

Anyone who has taken the covers off should see what I am saying

Last edited:
The reason I am thinking that heta may be the culprit is after I changed the coil the first time ..I left the coil off and drove/tested for about an hour and everything was fine .. ran great

Put the cover back on and the issues started back up..

So yeah possibly heat ..

Also .. wondering about arcing.. any chance the cover is pinching or in some other fashion causing arcing by touching any of the supply wires to the coil?

Just running ideas by ..

Easy there Bill:
Don't jump and spend money on something that may not be correct. I just checked on another owner that had the same problem:
He said, "The coolant control valve is located on the passenger side of the radiator shroud. You will find three hoses connected to it, two of those hoses running to the heater core, the other routes to the upper radiator hose. This coolant control valve has two electronic actuators that divert the coolant in the appropriate manner. When they malfunction you will get only HOT air blowing from your vents regardless of which temp you set, whether A/C is on, or where you direct the air to come from. The part can be ordered from Direct Ford Parts for $102." -
Installed it himself. Not sure if this is your problem, sounds like it. But, always refer to thensearch function.....There's a wealth of info there for you.
I just experience the same thing all of a sudden my A/C started blowing hot air I had a mechanic check the compressor to find it functioning normal and good. The freon is full . If I buy that part . Are those electronic parts in it.
Please someone help thank you.

2005 T-bird AC puts out warm air for several minutes then cold air, mechanic said it could be the actuator, the freon is full the system checked out perfect, someone please help me thank you.

AC units is something I know nothing about but I also have a 2005 and it blows cool air, not cold air like my 2005 volvo but not sure if it is just low on freon or not. I do hate they put the low side intake down where you can not easily get to it. I have not looks myself but this forum indicates you should have it on a lift and remove a side plate to get to it. I don't have a lift nor do I know anyone to take it to and them just lift it for me. Good luck with yours and maybe an actuator will not be to expensive.

AC units is something I know nothing about but I also have a 2005 and it blows cool air, not cold air like my 2005 volvo but not sure if it is just low on freon or not. I do hate they put the low side intake down where you can not easily get to it. I have not looks myself but this forum indicates you should have it on a lift and remove a side plate to get to it. I don't have a lift nor do I know anyone to take it to and them just lift it for me. Good luck with yours and maybe an actuator will not be to expensive.
Thanks for your help, the actuator is only about $30. .

Thank You

Last year I had the same problem Iris Place that valve and that's all all my AC problems yes everything is built into that unit

Hi everyone I am new to this site and I need your help.
I have a 2004 TB with 2800 mile on it and last weekend the wife and myself went for a drive only to find out that the A/C was only blowing hot or warm air no COLD air at all. I talked with my bother and thinks that I may be low on freon?, so I wanted to recharge the system but I could not find the low side intake connection, can anyone instruct me to its location!. I was going to take the car in to the Ford dealer but my wife said that the car was no longer under warranty can anyone answer that question for me also.
Thank you for your time.
Bill Schopp
luvburd
To gain access to the low side port,a plastic plate on the left underside bottom ,toward the front of your car.must be removed.When you remove the plate see if there is any oil on it as it will indicate your compressor is leaking freon that is common on these cars. I have had this problem with my 02.I end up adding a little freon about every 2 years.Good luck as that port is a little hard to see.It is on the back side of the compresor.

Before you spend any money on air conditioner parts my 2004 has similar problem at times blowing hot air. My fix is to cycle the temp control from 65 to 85 a couple times with the air on. The actuator door gets stuck sometimes and this frees it up and cold air flows.

I have a similar but not the same problem. AC works great, it's new and my dealer installed it for free, as I bought my used T-bird from them and it was under warranty. However---with no AC or heat on, just outside air---it blows hot. Why is this, is it an engineering problem that the fresh air intake takes in engine heat. It was 68 this morning and outside air was blowing around 90 degrees.

Any suggestions would be helpful and if I need a new something, what part?

If your AC/Heat is completely off it should not blow any air, hot or cold. If the air is off (no indicator light) and temp is set to say 65 degrees on a 70 degree day it should blow ambient air at 70.

Thank you George! When my ac started blowing hot air this spring (when FL days already are reaching 90 degrees), I remembered this former member's 2015 post counseling readers they might want to replace the AC Transducer Valve (aka a coolant control valve ) located on the passenger side of the radiator shroud before you considered expensive work on your Tbird's air conditioning unit. It took my mechanic three hours to replace the valve. But, sure enough it solved the problem. Rebuilding the AC would have cost $$$ and left me with ... hot blowing air.

Hey everyone,
I have owned my bird for two years. She has 61K 0n the clock. The car was very well maintained. I have kept it the same way. Two days ago my ac was ice cold, today it blows hot air like the heater is on. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? We love the car and plan to keep it. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back