Wipers Go On By Themselves On My 2002 Bird.

• Thread starter Mark 02 Thunderbird
  • Start date
M

Mark 02 Thunderbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This has been a problem for the last year or so. I took the FEM out and sent it to Automotive Modules in Michigan, and after installing it, the problem is still there. The owner of the company said my module was fine after he went through it. My local mechanic said that the wiper switch, if it is the problem, is no longer available, from Ford. Anyone else have these issues? Thank you!

Purchase here-

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a problem for the last year or so. I took the FEM out and sent it to Automotive Modules in Michigan, and after installing it, the problem is still there. The owner of the company said my module was fine after he went through it. My local mechanic said that the wiper switch, if it is the problem, is no longer available, from Ford. Anyone else have these issues? Thank you!

If you're pretty sure it's the switch, try searching on line- I found one here at this very long URL

at Village Ford parts- it's the multi switch, part of the steering column, under the steering system. It should be the same part for the T-Bird or same-year Lincoln LS and maybe also same-year Jaguar S-type. It's also available used on e-Bay. Good luck!

All Thunderbird parts are available somewhere (new or used). There are a couple of websites available on here or you can do your own search. Use caution though as there are 4 or 5 places the circuit could fail outside the FEM. probably a good time to buy the wiring diagram and shop manuals cd for the 2002. Then find a friend who is an EE to read it to you.

I would like to know what other symptoms you are having that would encourage you to go through the effort of removing & replacing the FEM

If you're pretty sure it's the switch, try searching on line- I found one here at this very long URL

at Village Ford parts- it's the multi switch, part of the steering column, under the steering system. It should be the same part for the T-Bird or same-year Lincoln LS and maybe also same-year Jaguar S-type. It's also available used on e-Bay. Good luck!
Thank you. I'm not sure that it is the switch. The car has been at my local shop for 3 days, and not once have the wipers wiped on their own, so he has been unable to diagnose the problem.

I would like to know what other symptoms you are having that would encourage you to go through the effort of removing & replacing the FEM
Nothing but the phantom wipers. No dash light issues, window issues, or other problems associated with the FEM. On a Facebook TBird group I follow, where I also posted the problem, several people replied that the first sign they experienced with a failing FEM was the phantom wiper issue, and that more issues followed shortly after. It was a hassle to get it out of the car, but even a bigger hassle waiting 3 weeks to get it back, and still have the same problem! A local junk yard near me has an 02 Lincoln LS, which according to my mechanic, and his research, use the same switch. It's a pull a part type place, so even it it doesn't fix the problem, all I'm out is a little time and probably $10.

Thanks to great information provided on this site, tomorrow I'm going to a self service junk yard to get a switch from a Lincoln LS, and see if it stops the phantom wiper issue I'm having with my 02 Bird. I have a steering wheel puller, and I'm wondering if, once I get the wheel and air bag off the junk yard car, how far down into the column does the wiring go? Does this require tools other than the steering wheel puller, and a 1/4 inch drive set, and any other normal tools I will have with me? Thanks for any help!

Thank you. I'm not sure that it is the switch. The car has been at my local shop for 3 days, and not once have the wipers wiped on their own, so he has been unable to diagnose the problem.
Thanks again Bubblehog for your link to the Ford dealer with the part! I ordered it last night. It should be here in a few days. I'll let you know what happens.

Hi Mark 02.

I have an ‘04 with the intermittent wiper “gremlins” as well.
I did have my fem reprogrammed but it didn’t help fix the problem at all. It’s been going on for years.
Now and then the wipers will not go on at all.

Did you end up getting your switch replaced? Is so, did it fix the issue and what was the cost, please.
Thanks!
Vic

Mine has been doing the same thing since I got in in 2017. Would love to know if it's just the switch. I doesn't do it all the time either.

I have a steering column from a 2002 T Bird, that I pulled a part from for my car. The switch is not hard to remove, but you will have to pull air bag and steering wheel. You will also have to remove the clock spring assembly, be careful and do not let it move at the steering wheel shaft, or you will be out of center. There is a big flat plug that you have to un plug, and pry several tabs to get the clock spring separated first. The wire to the clock spring does NOT unplug, just move assembly to the side, then remove switch assembly, and put new switch assembly on, and put everything back. Be sure and plug the big flat plug back in. Here are a few photos that may help. If replacing the switch assembly does not fix your wipers, you may have to replace the clock spring assembly, and the wiring harness that comes with it, and mounts under the steering column.
wiper plug.JPGwiper plug unpluged.JPGwiper and clockspring.JPGwiper switch.JPG

Back