What wax are you using?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wax and other products

I use Meguiar's Gold for my wax. I also use Meguiar's Vinyl/Dash and Meguiar's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on the interior.

Good friend of mine with a 35th Anniversary Mustang GT (which is also black) has always used Meguiar's. He has blue Ford blood running in his veins, and he's very particular about his cars, so I trust his opinion. Plus, his Mustang looks brand new, even though it's a '99.

Jack / 2002 SR-71

What kind of finish does the Meguiar's Vinyl/Dash give you?
I do NOT want the Armour-All glossy look...

Quickdraw,

The exact name is "Meguiar's Gold Class Vinyl / Rubber Protectant" and it leaves a nice mat finish that is not shiny. I highly recommend.

Take EXTRA care not to get this on the leather seats, steering wheel wrap or console pad. I covered mine with a towel while I did the rest of the interior, then used the Meguiar's "Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner / Conditioner" on my leather.

About a week after I purchased my car, I noticed that the dealer had only "preped" the drivers' side of the dash... and it looked just a bit more dull than the passenger side. I checked with my friend the Mustang owner, and he suggested this product. After applying this Meguiar's product, the whole interior looks much nicer.

Jack / 2002 SR-71

I do NOT want the Armour-All glossy look...

I don't want the gloss either Quick, several years ago my husband put something shinny on the dash. When the sun came out, I was nearly blinded by the glare on the windshield. Not a good thing.

I think I will try that leather conditioner on the seats, sounds great.

I use Zaino once a year, use 303 Detailer a lot, especially on my two street rods for shows and on the Bird just too keep it shinning. I use 303 products on my boat. 303 has great products for auto and boats. Meguiar's Gold Class Vinyl / Rubber Protectant for tires.

It seems car wash, polish and wax technology has changed in the last few years since this post came out 14 years ago. I see that a lot of those old links still work and I will be looking at them.

When I got my tbird a year ago, the paint was in horrible shape. Years of no real care took their toll. I had lots of swirls and scratches. I used a clay bar to remove the fine grit that washing would not remove. I got a dual action polisher from Harbor Freight and used an orange pad with Meguiars Ultimate scratch remover to get most of them out. That is still a project that I am working on. I used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax for the finish. I tested all of the products on my old pickup before I ever put something that looked like a grinder to my car finish.I now have a Chemical Guys foam cannon for washing using a two bucket technique and the fine scratches and swirls are not coming back.

On the interior, I use Lexol leather products on the seats about one a month to keep them from peeling or cracking. Weekly I use Meguiars leather wipes to keep the seats protected and soft.

All these products can be found doing a google search and the washing technique can be found on YouTube. My tbird is a daily driver and when I drive it, I want it looking it's best. The leather looks better than the day I got it. The paint is always shiny and looks wet and is smooth or even smoother than a new car.

My father has T-bird and takes maximum care for that. Traditionally he uses Zaino and Quick to add the shimmering glint. There are a lot of sources to find more information about wax and you can find the necessary information about these well-known wax brands in any automotive tools reviews. Just one more tip - use only microfiber towel to polish your car. That will protect your car from swirls.

Funny, I just did the karate kid thing last night.. Wax on wax off.. I used Mothers California Gold
Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Paste Wax last night and applied it by hand.. I do this at least once if not twice a year.. In between this, I switch off between Turtle Wax Ice liquid (great because it doesn't leave white residue if you hit the black plastic or rubber.. I also use this on the headlights to protect the poly carbide plastic lens.. I just stated using Griot's Garage Spray On Wax also for the quick shine.. Also if you love the smell of Carnauba wax (aroma therapy) the Grot's Garage wax has got that.. Turtle Wax Ice does not have that carnauba aroma because I believe it's all synthetic.. So I switch off between the Ice and the Griot's in between the once or twice a year wax on wax off.. For the seats, I use Lexol.. I think I should be doing that more often.. Right now I may only be doing that every few months..

Ok Now it's time to sand the floor.. :)

while we are at it. Is any one using the California Dusters safely and effectively.. I have one that I use on the interior dash but not 100% convinced it's safe on the body of the car.

I've been using the California Duster for years. On my Vettes, Cobras and now on my Bird. Water from a hose hasn't hit any of those cars, all Duster.

I've been using the California Duster for years. On my Vettes, Cobras and now on my Bird. Water from a hose hasn't hit any of those cars, all Duster.

That's good to hear.. I may have to try it ion the body.. Very lightly I take it and the car has to be relatively clean.. No real dirt just dust..

I worked too hard on my paint to get out all the scratchess and swirls. I just couldn't use one in my car. I won't even trust the waterless washes. Even after a seal, glaze and wax, I cannot think of dragging a dry cloth or brush across the paint.

I worked too hard on my paint to get out all the scratchess and swirls. I just couldn't use one in my car. I won't even trust the waterless washes. Even after a seal, glaze and wax, I cannot think of dragging a dry cloth or brush across the paint.

That's kind of how I felt too but as I read about them on the internet (and we know how true everything is on the internet) if you just use very little pressure and just "dust" you are fine. The duster does pick up dust and very small particles on the waxy duster media without harm.. I have used it inside for the dash panel etc. But been a little leery bout the outside.. Seems on the internet people love them.. Maybe I can offer to clean my next door neighbor's car to try it on.. I don't care that much for him.. :)

I spend 20k for the paint job on the Cobra in my avatar. Duster is all I use. Not even a hint of scratching, or I wouldn't be using it.

I use the small one on my dash, just can't bring my self to try it on the paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back