Upper front control arms need replacing | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Upper front control arms need replacing

• Thread starter Thread starter PhilD
  • Start date Start date
PhilD
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know I just had to replace my fuel filter and whilst I was under there I noticed the rubber gasket on the ball joint part of the upper control arm (wishbone joint to me) was perished. Both sides have gone upon closer inspection so just had to order two new ones, waiting for them to arrive before I start the ordeal of fitting them. Just wanted to give people the heads up. You can spot them easily even with the wheel fitted.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you replacing the entire upper control arm? Is there any way of replacing just the rubber gaskets? Keep us posted, I noticed the same thing and have been wondering if just the gasket was replaceable. Thanks

I put a whole new front end under my 03 last year about this time. I also put on new front struts. I did the work myself and am thinking I had $1200 in parts alone. Need to replace suspension parts in the rear too, first car I ever owned with independent rear suspension, wasn't expecting to do anything to rear. All the rubber bushings have just disintegrated. After reading posts on Tbirds and Lincoln LSs it is a quite common problem on these vehicles.

Not happy - how can a car that was hardly EVER driven in the rain, never in the snow, a low mileage garage kept car need an entire new suspension??

I noticed the rubber boots on most of the ball joints were badly cracked
or missing. Joints still good, but on borrowed time. I ordered all new
suspension pieces with ball joints and bushings pre installed. Best and
easiest way, otherwise you have to remove suspension pieces, and use
a press to remove, and reinstall new ball joints, and bushings.

Total cost was right at $600. I will install myself, then car needs a 4 wheel
alignment.

PhilD, how hard is it to replace the fuel filter? I gotta get around to doing that sometime.
Not hard at all, just remove the drivers side front wheel, the the rear wheel arch cover. The fuel filter is held in place by a bracket that unscrews. The clips slide off the each end of the fuel filter and it just pulls off the pipes, have something underneath to catch any remaining fuel in the filter and pipes. Fitting the new filter is the reverse just make sure the arrow on the side of it is pointing in the direction of the fuel flow, in other words towards the engine. Before you start always remove the gas cap to release the pressure. Whole job takes around 15 - 20 minutes.

Anyone on here ever replaced the upper front control arms, watched some videos on similar vehicles (jaguars, lincolns, etc) and they say you have to release the struts to get the bolts out for the arm.

Phil, last year when I replaced the front end on my Bird, I replaced the struts too, so I just tore it all out. Don't or can't remember if you can take upper arms without removing struts. I know one thing - I hope I never have to see the front end of that car again. 🙂 LOL I probably made the job harder than what is was, and I did have a mechanic buddy come by and give me some tips, but that is the last vehicle I hope to work on, it just convinced me I'm too old (mid 60s) to be out laying on driveway, undercar having flies bite, mosquitoes flying around, heat... Now if I had a nice climate controlled garage with lift where I could stand up, I might try working on em again.

I can remember things from my youth that don't matter like Mickey Mantle's life time batting average (.298), HR total (536), Willie Mays' HR total (660), etc.. but stuff that is useful - like how to remove the mower from my riding mower - I have to look at a manual EVERY time, even though I do it a couple of times a year and been doing it for last 15 years I still can't remember. How to remove upper control arms - sorry but I'm no help even though I did it once, I have no clue anymore. If it wasn't for youtube videos I wouldn't know how to get through the day anymore. 😉

sorry I could help

Ha ha thats fine, thanks anyway, I'm in my early fifties myself and know what you mean, just under a car then getting back up and oh it doesn't feel great. I know how hard this car is to work on as I had to replace the valve cover gaskets and that was such a pain doing it without actually removing anything such as a/c system, etc. Many a nasty word was said whilst doing that. I will get into it soon and see how far I get but have a sneaky feeling I have to release or remove the spring to give it roomfor the bolts to come out.

Back