2004 Suspension Issues

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
In 2019 I purchased a 2004 T-bird in West Texas with ~22k miles. Drove fine until I got to New Jersey in 2021 and suspension fell apart (great roads in Jersey City) at 37,391 in May 2021. $5k and 3 weeks later the car has almost new suspension from the Jersey City Ford dealership . Front shock absorbers upper and lower, springs, strut mounts, shock mounts, upper control arms, tie rods, and rear upper control arms and rear lower control arms.

drives like crap. I had the NJ Dealership double check things (took another two weeks). even a fairly flush manhole cover will make the entire car shudder, judder, and rattle like it's falling apart at 25mph. Tires are Continental Pure Contact with <10k miles. They've been checked by the dealership and rotated but no change in ride quality.

Since arriving in Ohio, March 2022, I've had two separate Ford shops check the suspension (one to replace one of the new shocks that blew out) and both of them say everything else in the suspension is ok and within spec. Clearly it's not, but now that I'm outside the 12 month warranty for my 5k suspension job they might find something... Any clues on what to check next? I used to love driving this car, but now it just feels like it's shaking apart even on a smooth road with no visible bumps. I got a Lyft from the dealership in a bottom barrel sub-compact and it had a better ride than my t-bird.

pulling my hair out

Sorry for your troubles!

If faced with a suspension rebuild cost like you were a few years back, I would go with the KW kit to end up with a better suspension.

Am wondering these cars use many LS components are springs interchangeable and the same spring rate as the T Bird. Could this lead to the harsh ride if LS springs used
just a thought

bought Kobalt torque wrench, 1 corner of rear cross-brace was under 46lbs, after adjustment there is no noticeable improvement in ride or reduction in shuddering when driving over small bumps.

A little rough isn't bad, but this is worse than my pickup and every road seam I cross I feel like I'm losing control. will try taking wheels in to be rebalanced and checked for roundness next

for incorrect suspension parts, that was my first thought. but based on googling part numbers on my receipts, they were genuine Ford OEM parts designed for t-birds.

If I'd known at the time that the standard suspension would be like this, I wouldn't have gone OEM. but now I can't really afford another 5k on suspension work. thanks for the tips.

parts: 6w4z*3085*aa, 6w4z*3084*aa, 3w4z*3a130*ab(&aa),6w4z*5500*ab(&aa),6w4z*5a649*a(&b), xw4z*5c487*aa, xw4z*5c486*aa, bu2z*18v124*j, bu2z*18v125*w, 1w6z*5310*AA, 3w6z*18183*aa, 3w6z*18197*aa. (plus nuts and bolts and washers)

Hi....I had the same problem with my 2004. Tire balance was the problem. Found a shop that did a tire to rim match and then a 'road force' balance. World of difference. I had the same problem with my motor home. Purchased six new tires from the Michelin distributor, not dealer, and they rim matched and 'road forced' balanced them. The motor home rides like it is on pillows. I hope this helps.

Hi.
You say they replaced springs? The Tbird uses struts both front and rear. Did they replace the whole strut assembly with spring or just the strut and reused the springs? I did my suspension a couple of years ago myself with Mevotech and Moog parts, I used Monroe struts. The car rides like a dream. It is so simple I don't know what they could have done wrong. Did they do a four wheel alignment? It sounds as if the wheels are toed incorrectly causing it to pull one way or another. Does the ride height look normal?

Good luck,
John

I agree with Ruby; I know it sounds like a to simple of a fix but tires do separate and get bulges that can shake and rattle any unit.

Let us know!

Gil

I remember when I bought my TB new it had a harsh ride but smoothed after about one year. today with 70,000 on it rides too soft.

I know what you mean; I had new struts installed by a Ford dealer up here in the PNW a couple years ago, expensive but she rides like new again with 47/K miles on her now.

Every Dry Day is a good Day to Drive a Retro Bird, enjoy the ride!

Struts/ Shock absorber assembly, it has a couple of names. but yes those and the coil springs and mounts etc were replaced up front. All parts when I search for them identify as being for Thunderbird, so I have no other way to tell.

Still waiting on availability to get tires & wheels checked.

I live in Fort Worth Texas and my 2002 rides rough but it because if the roads here, just kidding. Your problem could be only springs or tires. I have had a loose rear stabilizer bolt, this made the car swerve going around corners, but didn't make it ride rough. You are doing good to check tires first.

I’ve had a great recent upgrade experience. I bought my 2002 in April from the first owner. 73,000 miles and very well maintained. Since I had not driven any of the 2002+ models for any real distances I accepted the ride and handling as what I expected for an American car. My other cars have been mostly BMWs.

A couple of weeks ago I had driven the 2002 over 500 miles on a variety of roads. I realized my past auto experience indicated at 73,000 miles the shocks were wearing out. My local independent Ford shop also noted worn links/bushings front A arms and rear toe links. I ordered KYB front struts and rear shocks from TireRack. My shop just did the links and shocks. And checked the X brace torque too- it was already tight.

The car now drives like a dream. The earlier subtle twitching and pitching on bumps indicative of worn suspension is gone. The handling and ride are like magic. Of course it’s not a BMW but for all practical purposes the handling on all types of roads is pretty close. It’s like a different car. From acceptable cruiser level performance to more like modern sports sedan performance. Relaxed Sportiness!

I am thinking your springs may be too stiff, or your new shocks may be to firm. I use KYB shocks because they provide a soft ride which
is what I want. Over the last three years I have replaced the complete suspension on all three of my 2002 T Birds, and all three of them
ride like a dream.

so update.
after taking it to local mechanic, they agreed that front shocks were too loose and rear shocks were basically iron bars.

Took to another two ford shops to have them replace, as these parts are under warranty and less than 18 months old. Neither shop would replace and both insisted that this bouncing was how the car was designed to drive.

I sold the bird.

so update.
after taking it to local mechanic, they agreed that front shocks were too loose and rear shocks were basically iron bars.

Took to another two ford shops to have them replace, as these parts are under warranty and less than 18 months old. Neither shop would replace and both insisted that this bouncing was how the car was designed to drive.

I sold the bird.
So sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what was wrong with yours, but you certainly put in an effort. The car definitely wasn't designed to bounce! Mine rides well even with the suspension being 20 years old. Sorry you couldn't find a decent dealer or independent to take care of it!

You say you have replaced suspension on 3 2002 Birds. You are my expert as I am facing just that in my 2004 with 76k on it.Two questions. 1. Did you rebush or wholesale replace or were you selective? I have a shop press, a heated garage and all winter. 2. In terms of ride, what is the difference between gas and hydraulic shocks? I look fwd. to going to school here. Thanks.

Back