Thunderbird Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Thunderbird Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions

• Thread starter Thread starter 93Miata
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does your local dealer charge for Thunderbird keyless entry remotes?

My Ford dealer wants $119 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (02, 97 T-bird).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

93Miata said:
I found another site online that I'm willing to give a shot - www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

The above site wants about $60 a piece plus shipping for the 02 Tbird remote.

They're 1/2 that price on ThePartsYouNeed site with the instructions included. I ordered 1 this morning.

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=658

I'll keep you guys posted. If it works good, I'm going to order one for my 97 as well.

Looks good. I hope you left those ebay deadbeats negative feedback

One is kicked off ebay already - he got like 58 negative feedback in a row and then ebay finally booted him. Apparently a lot of people never received their stuff (Eagles_wingz)

Anyhow, at first I only wanted a refund, but the sellers threatened me with negative feedback if I left them anything but a positive...and I wasn't about to ruin my perfect 100% rating for the past 6 years on some idiots. I did file complaints with ebay for fraud tho, I suppose all I can do is wait to see if anything comes of that, but I know I won't get my money back. 🙁

I got the remote in the mail yesterday. 2 days for shipping is impressive, but I checked Mapquest and they're only about 150 miles me, so I guess the timing is right.

Anyhow, programming took maybe 15 seconds? Its amazing that a dealership would charge for something that can be done so quick, especially after already sticking a customer with the retail price.

At first I was nervous that I might have to cross wires or something to do it and I didnt want to short anything out. I didn't have to touch anything but the ignition key, the remote, and the car. Few turns of the key, few presses of the buttons on the remote and I was done.

The remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the 97 I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the 02 and a pair for the 97. FINALLY I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

ThePartsYouNeed.com rocks!

93Miata,
Thanks for the report.

93Miata said:
Lansing, IL?

Small world. I actually grew up in Calumet City next door.

How about that so did I... Moved to Lansing in 1971.... I lived at 138-157th street for 20 years - where were you & what years? Where are you now?

Oh, all over Calumet City. Greenbay Ave near Hoover school, 156th street near Lincoln school, Webb St near Lincoln Field, and various other places. Moved alot but seemed to stay in the same town. It was that way from 1980-2000. I'm in Phoenix, AZ now.

Got the 2nd order of remotes in today.

I got a little confused when I would try to program the 2nd remote for the 02 but I was deprogramming the 1st remote.

After I actually paused and read the whole instructions sheet, I saw that I had to program them BOTH together so they would be on the same frequency with the receiver.

The 97's remotes were a little different for programming but not too complicated.

Now having remotes for both cars makes life a little easier. I wish I knew about ThePartsYouNeed.com for remotes before I wasted time and money on ebay, then I'd be able to use the money I saved to buy some more toys for the cars... 🙁

On another forum, somebody mentioned that they had pretty badly limited range with their remote, but if they aimed the remote at their chin, they could get the car to lock and unlock from about 80 ft away.

I tried it when I was headed back to my car from the mall today, and it works...lol. Probably will get brain cancer now...but it about triples the range.

93Miata said:
On another forum, somebody mentioned that they had pretty badly limited range with their remote, but if they aimed the remote at their chin, they could get the car to lock and unlock from about 80 ft away.

I tried it when I was headed back to my car from the mall today, and it works...lol. Probably will get brain cancer now...but it about triples the range.

I'll have to try this.... when you point the remote at your chin does your mouth need to be open so the signal can get out? 😀

Pointing at your head

Actually, Click and Clack told qbout this phenomenon a couple years ago. Only they advocated pointing at your forehead. That works also. In addition a little experimentation yielded the fact that the distance can be even better if it's raining.
And yes you gotta have your mouth and eyes open!!!

keyless entry and remote.

Two replies in one sitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have "misplaced" my ey to my wife's bird. The dealer wanted a lot of money (wouldn't say how much) and three hours of service time. BAH!!!!!
Went to a certified locksmith. $45 for key, $50 for remote, including all the computer work and other stuff. 33 minutes.
So, shop around and find a factory certified lock smith.

I have both bought and sold on eBay and if you are careful you can avoid a lot of trouble, but not all. Always, I mean ALWAYS, check the sellers history before you buy - if the seller has more than a 5-6% of negatives, do not bid on anything they have. Anyone can get an occasional negative due to misunderstandings etc, but they should be the exception rather than the norm. To check their history you simply click on the number in parentheses next to the sellers name. Even following this advice myself I have still gotten bitten a couple of times. Unfortunately there are a lot of scam artists on eBay as well as honest, sincere, folk.

93Miata said:
One is kicked off ebay already - he got like 58 negative feedback in a row and then ebay finally booted him. Apparently a lot of people never received their stuff (Eagles_wingz)

Anyhow, at first I only wanted a refund, but the sellers threatened me with negative feedback if I left them anything but a positive...and I wasn't about to ruin my perfect 100% rating for the past 6 years on some idiots. I did file complaints with ebay for fraud tho, I suppose all I can do is wait to see if anything comes of that, but I know I won't get my money back. 🙁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back