T-Bird Unreliable? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

T-Bird Unreliable?

• Thread starter Thread starter beicholz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering buying a T-Bird, but I'm concerned. As we all know, the T-Bird is based on the Lincoln LS. Unfortunately, the LS just made Consumer Report's list of "Worst Used Cars - Models to Avoid". Their overall rating is "Much Worse Than Average." They site problems with the electrical system, transmission, fuel system, cooling system, body integrity, and power equipment.

Question to members: Do you feel your T-bird has inherited these problems from its sibling? Or has Ford done a better job with the Bird? What types of problems have you had?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I own both a 2000 lincoln ls and 2002 t bird. while i have incurred some problems with the ls, they were not insurmontable and readily fixed. reliability was never an issue and thanks to sites like this one and the lincoln ls site, you get a feeling for problem areas. interesting enough i had more problems with a lexus and an infinity, than i have had with any other cars i have owned, and i have owned quite a few. while consumers is a good guide, i never considered it the gospel. my t bird is a daily driver, and i have not had a problem with it. i cant answer on long term reliabitly on the t bird but i can tell you the relialbilty of the lincoln ls has been great. hope this helps you

I've owned my T-Bird for only six months and the only problem has been an error message regarding the transmissions electronics easily solved. My last two cars were high end Mercedes (ML430) and BMW's (M5) and between them they were flat bedded eight times. This is the first american car I have ever owned and have been very please with the quality and support. I finally, after 25 years, came to the conclusion that Germans build great cars, just not that dependable. So I would not worry about depenability of the T-Bird...great little car.

-

I've had my T-bird 8 months and put about 6K miles on it (I drive a 12-year-old car to work everyday, thus low miles on my T-bird). I've had no problems as suggest might be "inherited" from the LS. My only significant problem was I left the interior light on in my T-bird for two weeks and had to have a jumpstart. In other words, my bad.

If you search around this forum, you will find a long list of "complaints" -- but most of these are design things. For example, people complain about accidentally activating the windshield wipers or the fact that Ford came up with a "bandaid" fix for potential scratches on the rear deck from the hard top. Lots of stuff of that nature. But as far as stuff like transmission problems or whatever, I've not had a single problem and cannot recall a significant problem that has been shared by more than a few people. Bottom line -- I'm very glad I bought my T-bird and if you decide to take the plunge I think you'll feel the same way. Good luck!

I own a 2001 LS that just turned 20,000 miles. The only problem I had was with the radio. Some of the buttons didn't light up at night so Ford replaced it. Because my LS has been such a great car I will be ordering a new T-Bird. I would use Consumers Report as a source, but just that. Back in 1989 I orderd a 5.0 Mustang. Consumers Report said that the car road stiff and had loud exhaust. No kidding!. You have done the right thing by asking the folks on this forum. When my wife and I were looking for a new washer and dryer we asked a appliance repair man what his experience was with various brands. Not Consumers Report.

Thanks everyone for the comments in reply to my reliability question. I took the plunge on Sunday and bought an '03 Bird. I absolutely love it. And I must say it's in the best condition of any new car - domestic or foreign - I've ever owned. Hope it stays that way!

By the way, if you're shopping for a Bird, the '02s in LA are being discounted by well over $5,000 under sticker...and that's just the dealer's opening offer. I got my premium '03 for $2,300 off sticker. One dealer offered me any premium '03 on the lot for $38,500 - almost $4,000 off sticker.

For whatever reason, there are lots of '02's and even '03's out there. Be smart - don't pay sticker, or even close to it!

I'll add my two cents for anyone else who may not have bought a TBird yet, and may be swayed by the Consumer's Report ratings.

I, too, have a 2000 Lincoln LS which has around 35,000 miles on it. The car has been extremely reliable. There have been a couple of minor gotchas for which I waited until the regular service interval to have fixed. A lot of times, CU hangs an "unreliable" tag on things which don't actually affect the reliability of the car getting you where you want to go.

My LS has not had any electrical, transmission, engine or other major-system problems. Neither has our 2002 'Bird, which is a recreational driver.

I have had a LOT LESS trouble with mine than I have had with any other car I have ever owned. Bought my wife a new BMW a few years ago, broke down and left her halway between Orlando and Jacksonville Fl. (nothing out there at all) Have had everything from Cadillacs to Porsches and the only car that even comes close to the T-Bird in lack of trouble was a 2002 Miata I traded on the 'Bird. And it even had a defective pressure plate that was recalled...

In general Consumer Reports have not given American Cars good ratings in years

I own a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. It has about 39,000 miles on it. The warranty has expired and unlike many other cars I have owned, it is still running great and totally reliable. The most trouble I have had is with the radio which whines when I play cassettes. Since most people use CD's now, I doubt that this will be problem that will bother most.

I read consumers reports, but frankly their idea of the ideal car seems to be a Checker. I am usually amused by their horror at anyone that might actually enjoy driving and *** forbid anyone that might like to drive in a sporty fashion. They are useful in order to get basic information, but remember these are the guys who thought NuFinish was the best "wax" on the market for years because it is long lasting. Never mind how shiny it makes the car look.

I owned a 2000 LS V8 and liked the car so much, I bought a 2002 T-Bird for my wife. When the 2003 LS was introduced, I was first in line at my Lincoln dealer and now own a 2003 LS V8 Premium Sport with THX audio and GPS navigation. The T-Bird and both of my LSes have been very reliable cars. I don't know what Consumer Reports is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back