Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard_Mc
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good morning,
My 1981 Shay reproduction '55 T-Bird is currently listed on eBay,
Please copy and paste:

Ever thought about customizing a 1955/56 Thunderbird...no guilt with this one.
This is NOT A 1955 FORD THUNDERBIRD or an individually built kit car.
This is a Shay Motor Company assembly line built reproduction of a 1955 Thunderbird sold at Ford dealerships in 1980/81. The body is strong thick fiberglass not metal so, there is no body rust or dents. There are chips and some spidering.

In July of 2019, I purchased an advertised Thunderbird "kit car". After many hours of research on the Shay Owners Club web site and on the internet, I believe that I have one of the few "Shay Reproduction '55 Bird"s that were on the assembly line the day of the court ordered shut down of the Shay Motor Company. This T-Bird had never been finished and probably had no road miles.

When I bought the T-Bird, the bumpers and grill were missing. The hood was hinged but, no latches had been installed. The trunk lid had never been hinged or latched and the inner & outer trunk skins had never been bonded. The door skins had not been bonded. (They are currently screwed in place) The door latches, strikers, windows, windshield or any of the interior had never been installed. There was no Shay fiberglass dash but, an original 1955 Ford Thunderbird metal dash, gauge pod, speaker cover and glove box came with the car but, was not installed. It only had wiring from the ignition switch to the engine compartment. It had a Pinto 2-barrel carburetor, a 2.3 four cylinder engine with a 4-speed manual transmission. This Shay '55 T-Bird came factory equipped with Pinto (Mustang II) suspension, rack and pinion steering, front disc brakes and a Ford rear end with drum brakes. This car had No dust or dirt under the car ... Anywhere! Even inside the fender wells...NO dust or dirt! Some of the frame still had factory paint but, it also has surface rust. I never was able to keep the engine running. So.....

In February of 2000, I bought an insurance totaled 1988 Mustang LX convertible (showing 36,930 miles) at auction from "Copart". The car had right front to rear side-swiped damage. It drove fine and was equipped with working air conditioning and cruise control. This was the donor car.

The T-Bird now has the 1988 Mustang's throttle body 2.3 engine with the original Shay installed Ford 4-speed manual transmission, driveshaft and rear end. It has a new clutch assembly, a new "Racer Walsh Co." shifter with a newer Mustang knob. The radiator, radiator hoses, alternator, and battery are new. Part of the Mustang's firewall was installed in the T-Bird so the Mustang's factory climate control unit could be used. The heater core is new. It needs an ac condenser and the hoses. The Mustang's dash, steering column with tilt steering wheel & column, the floor console and seats were installed. The new tires have less than 50 miles of use. The new wheel covers are from "HubcapMike".

90% of the 1988 Mustang's wiring, including the computer has been installed. All the lights work: Turn signals, hazard, parking lights, tag light, headlights & high beam, instrument panel, glove box, and mirror map lights work. The upgraded headlights are now halogen with halo rings that are wired as turn signals. The reverse lights are now turn signals (as shown in photos). The intermitting 3 speed wiper motor works. The wiper arms and blades are not mounted.
100% of the 1988 Mustang's fuel system has been installed including all fuel lines, fuel tank with new fuel gauge sending unit, new fuel pump and filter. The T-Bird even has the Mustang's trunk floor with the recessed spare tire, the factory equipped fuel tank hangers and bottom tank cover.
The trunk lid has new hinges and support gas shocks.

A custom fit "CoverKing" 1955 Thunderbird car cover and an original sales brochure are included.

New uninstalled parts that are included:
A new hood latch assembly, new bear claw door latches, new outside door handles, new door locks with keys, new window regulators and window guides, vacuumed formed T-Bird "upholstered" door panels. new seat belts, some weather striping and 10, yes, 10 pieces of door window glass that were in a wood box when I purchased the car.

Other uninstalled parts that are included:
radiator fan shroud, extra starter, a 1955 Ford Thunderbird metal dash, the gauge pod, speaker cover and glove box door. Some of the body emblems. The 1988 Mustang cruise control unit.

*-- THIS IS A PROJECT CAR --* Rat Rod Classic Street Rod
It needs final assembly and other work to be a finished street legal car.
The T-Bird cranks, it can be driven and runs cool. It steers straight, rides smooth and stops well.
It is currently tagged as a 1955 FORD TBIRD VIN: 1FRX8100752130000
The state of Georgia does not require a title for a car of this vintage.
It will be sold with a notarized Georgia Bill of Sale to make it easier to register this T-Bird in another state. The buyer will also receive the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Registration paper I received from the county tag office this year. It will have my signature.

A bit of Shay history:
The Shay reproduction '55 Bird was built by the Shay Motors Corporation of Battle Creek Michigan under license from Ford. Harry J. Shay founded the Model A & Model T Motor Car Reproduction Corporation in 1978. Shay produced a line of "Model A"s that were sold at Ford dealerships. The company's name was changed to Shay Motors Company in 1980. Shay had sold thousands of reproduction "Model A"s before introducing the "Shay reproduction '55 Bird" in 1980. Like the Shay "Model A", the T-Bird was ordered/delivered at Ford dealerships. In 1981, Shay had to shut down operations due to cash-flow and legal problems. 5,000 "Model A"s and 200 T-Birds had been delivered. The standard models came with a 2.3 four cylinder engine. An optional V8 was available.
In April of 1983, Camelot Motors Inc., purchase the molds, tools, patents and other equipment of the Shay Motors Corporation. Camelot only offered a V8 engine in their "Model A" and "T-Bird".

I hope everyone has a great day - This is not an original 1955 Thunderbird.

Richard
55_T-Bird-01.JPG55_T-Bird-21.jpg55_T-Bird-04.JPG55_T-Bird-02.JPG55_T-Bird-03.JPG55_T-Bird-12.JPG55_T-Bird-10.JPG55_T-Bird-11.JPG55_T-Bird-08a.JPG55_T-Bird-20.JPG36.jpg55_T-Bird-19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back