1955 T-Bird Rear Fender Skirts - What to do?

Martin P

Martin P

1955 Ford Thunderbird Raven Black
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Birdies

I am looking for some advise on my 55 T-bird rear Fender skirts. I recently switched to Radial Diamond Backs to help improve the ride, my mechanic said i should keep the radials inflated as much as possible 40-44lbs. In an effort to reduce the potential for the release handle to catch on the Radial White walls I Elongated the Handle 2 " towards the center after reading from another T-bird owner that this would ultimately solve the issue of rubbing against the pristine white walls. I even added a Rear Sway Bar for stability as well. All seemed to work pretty good until two weeks ago while accelerating and getting on the freeway, I heard a terrible noise and out my side view mirror was the rear skirt flying down the freeway, Ugh what a terrible feeling. I tried despretaly to pull to the side of the road and since there are no emergency flashers began to use my brake to alternate the tail lights while thinking it would be possible to retrieve it, I helplessly sat there and watch car after car destroy the skirt. Gone!
Now I have two replacements as they don't sell these separately, going to the extreme of new moldings, painting to match the car... need I say more. My concern to prevent this from happening again? Is this the reason that so many t-birds that I see have no rear skirts on? After going to all the extremes to trying to avoid the unavoidable, it happend. Am I better off just keeping them off and installing only for Show? it seems like there is so little clearance. Converting the handle as before seems like a waste since it didnt prove beneficial the first time, let alone getting someone to do this at a custom shop was a task.

Looking for comments and recommendations based on others experiences.

Thank you,
skirt-less

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Birdies

I am looking for some advise on my 55 T-bird rear Fender skirts. I recently switched to Radial Diamond Backs to help improve the ride, my mechanic said i should keep the radials inflated as much as possible 40-44lbs. In an effort to reduce the potential for the release handle to catch on the Radial White walls I Elongated the Handle 2 " towards the center after reading from another T-bird owner that this would ultimately solve the issue of rubbing against the pristine white walls. I even added a Rear Sway Bar for stability as well. All seemed to work pretty good until two weeks ago while accelerating and getting on the freeway, I heard a terrible noise and out my side view mirror was the rear skirt flying down the freeway, Ugh what a terrible feeling. I tried despretaly to pull to the side of the road and since there are no emergency flashers began to use my brake to alternate the tail lights while thinking it would be possible to retrieve it, I helplessly sat there and watch car after car destroy the skirt. Gone!
Now I have two replacements as they don't sell these separately, going to the extreme of new moldings, painting to match the car... need I say more. My concern to prevent this from happening again? Is this the reason that so many t-birds that I see have no rear skirts on? After going to all the extremes to trying to avoid the unavoidable, it happend. Am I better off just keeping them off and installing only for Show? it seems like there is so little clearance. Converting the handle as before seems like a waste since it didnt prove beneficial the first time, let alone getting someone to do this at a custom shop was a task.

Thank you,
skirt-less
I am assuming you have the factory style steel wheels and wheel covers. Is it possible the tires you have installed do not have the best aspect ratio for your car? An example might be a 70 profile tire instead of a 78 profile tire. I see many driven cars that have the skirts mounted alll the time. I am sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Hi Birdies

Thank you,
skirt-less
i restored a 57 and used the roadster wire wheels with coker wide white walls. had a problem with the skirt rubbing the ww and the lever nicking the spinner. i was able to bow the skirt a tiny bit and ground a bit off the inside of the lever where it was contacting the spinner and cured both problems. drove it around michigan international speedway in excess of a hundred mph with no problems

What size are your radial Diamond Back tires? 6:70 x 15” are usually too wide and will rub on the fender skirts. Here is a link to an article that addresses the common causes for the rear tires to rub the fender skirts.

I also attached are two options from the May/June 2018 Early Bird magazine that shows how you can modify the fender skirt rod clamp if it is rubbing on your tire.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

fender-skirt-interfence-1.jpgfender-skirt-interfence-2.jpg

Hi Birdies

Thank you,
skirt-less
Hi Martin, I had a problem with my diamondbacks rubbing too. I was able to adjust my mounting position to bring the skirt edge out to meet the fender contour. In researching this i found an article which offers two different ideas for this problem. One of which was to shorten the handle removing the hook. Then using a weed digger with a v shaped end to catch the rod and unhook it the few times you need to remove the skirt.

i restored a 57 and used the roadster wire wheels with coker wide white walls. had a problem with the skirt rubbing the ww and the lever nicking the spinner. i was able to bow the skirt a tiny bit and ground a bit off the inside of the lever where it was contacting the spinner and cured both problems. drove it around michigan international speedway in excess of a hundred mph with no problems
since I have to have the replacements painted anyway I might just ask the body shop to bow the skirt slightly to see if this will get a little clearance.

what inflation do you use on your diamondbacks? I am going to check but Diamondbacks say they can go to 44PSI perhaps that might help but need to check to see what it is set at now. The size I am running is 670R15 with Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. i also might modify the extension of the handle by cutting it off and moving it to the inside of the rolled edge at least that's another 1/4". Since shortening the handle didnt work last time removing it might be the only option in addition to trying to bow the skirt out. Thanks for response!

Thanks Doug:
I had done the shorter handle modification prior to loosing one of these on the freeway, I will probably go the route of removing the bow handle and tucking it in the rolled edge to see if that resolves the issue, I also purchased a Set of Fender Locks which hopefully will resolve the skirt from unlatching and flying off the car. few options exists, process of elimination i guess. Happy Thanksgiving!

I am also seeing the amount of times that previous Bird owners have commented on this issue 1K. seems like a lot of others have issues with these skirts as well. To bad a solution or a final solution cant be determined, but hopefully one of these recommendations or series of these will resolve the problem. Major part is car wasn't intended for Radials I guess.

I run 35 psi on my 205/75 15 Diamondbacks{Toyo}. Did not see any help in hugher pressures.

I had the same problem on my 57. Went to a narrower radial tire (34 psig) which helped some then put on rear sway bar which solved the problem.
Good luck.

I have 205\75 14" @ 35 psi radials on my '57. Only have a slight rub on hard cornering. I have had to chase down a wheel cover a few times as the wheels flex a little more so I check them to make sure they are tight before I head out for a drive.

I drilled the lip of the skirt and use safety wire to secure the handle from unlatching, others have used tie-raps with the same success

since I have to have the replacements painted anyway I might just ask the body shop to bow the skirt slightly to see if this will get a little clearance.

what inflation do you use on your diamondbacks? I am going to check but Diamondbacks say they can go to 44PSI perhaps that might help but need to check to see what it is set at now. The size I am running is 670R15 with Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. i also might modify the extension of the handle by cutting it off and moving it to the inside of the rolled edge at least that's another 1/4". Since shortening the handle didnt work last time removing it might be the only option in addition to trying to bow the skirt out. Thanks for response!

Thanks Doug:
I had done the shorter handle modification prior to loosing one of these on the freeway, I will probably go the route of removing the bow handle and tucking it in the rolled edge to see if that resolves the issue, I also purchased a Set of Fender Locks which hopefully will resolve the skirt from unlatching and flying off the car. few options exists, process of elimination i guess. Happy Thanksgiving!

I am also seeing the amount of times that previous Bird owners have commented on this issue 1K. seems like a lot of others have issues with these skirts as well. To bad a solution or a final solution cant be determined, but hopefully one of these recommendations or series of these will resolve the problem. Major part is car wasn't intended for Radials I guess.
Hi Martin. When you talk about fender locks are you saying these are a new add on to secure those skirts? If so where do I buy them?

Hi Martin. When you talk about fender locks are you saying these are a new add on to secure those skirts? If so where do I buy them?
I believe i purchased them from CASCO however ended up not using them as I couldnt make them work due to install limitations, however what I did do which worked was I drilled a small 1/4" hole thru the bottom of the skirt just about a inch short of the end of the handle, I then used Zip ties to secure the handle to the inside of the fender skirt so it wouldnt come loose or fly up due to a slight tire rub. This solved the Issue 100%.

Back