Dad's 1957 T-bird value?

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I inherited my Dad's 1957 t-bird in 2005. My Dad was the original owner and treated it like a baby. Unfortunately, while my Dad was in the hospital his "friend" took his T-bird in to be repaired for him. Rather than repairing the car they stole the original 312 engine, Holley 4Vx2 carburetor and replaced the engine with a 292 engine. I have kept the car since my Dad's death and have kept it the best condition possible (The paint and interior areas factory specifications). I have kept the car because I love my Dad, but the car sits in my garage and is driven only enough to keep it running. I think selling the T-Bird to someone who would drive or restore or show the car would better serve my Dad's memory.

I say all that to ask: What is the best way to get a fair and accurate appraisal and to get advice on the best way to sell the car to a true T-bird lover.

Thanks for any advice and or help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I inherited my Dad's 1957 t-bird in 2005. My Dad was the original owner and treated it like a baby. Unfortunately, while my Dad was in the hospital his "friend" took his T-bird in to be repaired for him. Rather than repairing the car they stole the original 312 engine, Holley 4Vx2 carburetor and replaced the engine with a 292 engine. I have kept the car since my Dad's death and have kept it the best condition possible (The paint and interior areas factory specifications). I have kept the car because I love my Dad, but the car sits in my garage and is driven only enough to keep it running. I think selling the T-Bird to someone who would drive or restore or show the car would better serve my Dad's memory.

I say all that to ask: What is the best way to get a fair and accurate appraisal and to get advice on the best way to sell the car to a true T-bird lover.

I'm sorry to hear about your father and how he was taken advantage of.
I would contact the local Thunderbird clubs.
They must know or know someone that can give you a decent idea of the car's value.
As always, its worth what someone will pay.
There aren't any up-and-comers in your family that would love it and keep it in the family?

I would also check eBay and do a search on 1957 Thunderbirds. You will get a sense of conditions and asking price, you can also "save the search" to see what they actually sell for. Good luck!

Sorry for your loss, When the original motor is taken out it's no longer a numbers matching car. Also the motor was taken out . "stolen" size is not a 292 cu in. The 57's were longer than the 55's and 56's. by about 1 foot. Your best bet is to find a local T Bird club in your area and take the car to a member for their evaluation on the car. These guys will know what is the value of your fathers car. Best of luck.

Thanks for any advice and or help.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for your loss, When the original motor is taken out it's no longer a numbers matching car. Also the motor was taken out . "stolen" size is not a 292 cu in. The 57's were longer than the 55's and 56's. by about 1 foot. Your best bet is to find a local T Bird club in your area and take the car to a member for their evaluation on the car. These guys will know what is the value of your fathers car. Best of luck.

[/QUOTE]
Wow. I didn’t realize that. So, is the engine still a 312 with different horse power? (Hope that didn’t sound ridiculously stupid)

The 312 was a upgrade back in 56, the 312 has more horse power than the 292. According to your thread it seems that your fathers "friend" could have taken other things from the car. Not to have you worried ...BUT the 57's had two rare 312 engines the "E" code twin carburetors and the the "F" code that one had a super charger.Can you find any paper work from your fathers car, Like the build sheet, or the dealers bill of sale. You can also write down the serial number that is located in front of the passenger's fire wall. Go to tbirdregistry.com type in all of the info on the plate this will tell you the when the car was built and what kind of motor extras were placed on the car.

Thanks again. I have done that. It’s an E bird and the dual carburetors were also taken.

also a little info about the "E"
What is a 1957 Thunderbird E Code?

Of the 21,380 Thunderbirds built for the 1957 model year, only 1,499 were the fabulous E-Code Thunderbirds. The E-Code examples were equipped with a 312/270 HP V-8 engine fed by two 4-barrel carburetors. This Thunderbird Bronze E-Bird is a fine example of the breed. code:

Back