Starts fine, idles, then dies on acceleration

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Among some other annoyances, an 03 starts fine, backs out of garage, idles to the street.......on acceleration dies. No warning, no sounds, just dies. But, it does start back up and runs fine. This has happened on 3 occasions.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Among some other annoyances, an 03 starts fine, backs out of garage, idles to the street.......on acceleration dies. No warning, no sounds, just dies. But, it does start back up and runs fine. This has happened on 3 occasions.
When mine did that, it was the connection on the no start unless in park switch. Peter

Mine drives great. It idles smooth but as soon as you shift it starts missing. Filters were good but changed again, could as check out, checked for excessive water in fuel tank, a little. Dip stick started leaking. 60,000 miles and falling apart!

My 2003 Thunderbird acted like that until a great mechanic discovered that the valve covers needed to be replaced. Somehow oil was leaking down around the spark plugs shorting them out. Engine ran fine until stopping on a rather steep grade, then when accelerating, engine had a hard time until back on level roadway and would work itself out of the predicament. Replaced the spark plugs and new gaskets and everything is great !

My 2003 Thunderbird acted like that until a great mechanic discovered that the valve covers needed to be replaced. Somehow oil was leaking down around the spark plugs shorting them out. Engine ran fine until stopping on a rather steep grade, then when accelerating, engine had a hard time until back on level roadway and would work itself out of the predicament. Replaced the spark plugs and new gaskets and everything is great !
About a year or so after having my 2002 TBird I had a missing sound and thought it was a coil going, upon inspection oil was leaking into the spark plugs. I ended up changing all the valve cover gaskets which includes the ones for the spark plugs. Its not an easy job took me weeks as I did a bit and after a few hours was swearing so much I would stop, then try again another day. So much has to be undone and moved aside its hard. If your's never had the gaskets replaced then they need doing as the originals were known to melt. Also I had someone pump silicon caulking into the holes hoping to solve the issue, so that had to be cleaned out. I did write a bit about it afdter I did this some years ago will try to find the link to it.

Update - ran codes and nothing that pertained to the engine, Instrument Cluster, Rear Control Module, and ABS Module, nothing that should be associated with engine shut down. It is not missing that is noticeable. I was driving yesterday and after about 30min driving time with no problem.......just died. Has become dangerous situation. Will update as I have an appointment with local Ford dealer to try and diagnose. Thanks for suggestions from all.

Update - took to Ford Dealership. They couldn't find a thing. No codes, they say no computer upgrades/flash. Had it for 3 days, drove it and not an issue. Don't know what to think now.

Update, after dealership could not figure out, the 2nd mechanic I took it to, kept for 2 months. Said he had to catch problem when it happened to diagnose. Finally determined it was the PCM. After not finding one through Ford, sent in to rebuild. Installed and currently working. Now the issue is the turn signals won't work but they turn on the headlights!

Back