New Tires Today 2002 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

New Tires Today 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter Netconn
  • Start date Start date
N
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I just had a new set of tires put on today and I changed the tire size as posted in the forum. Went from 235/50/17 to 235/55/17. I'd like to report that this size is definitely better. The speedo is now much closer to correct, the car rides better and the larger tires fill the wells nicer. I did have a problem getting them to install the larger tire but I signed a release and all was good.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just had a new set of tires put on today and I changed the tire size as posted in the forum. Went from 235/50/17 to 235/55/17. I'd like to report that this size is definitely better. The speedo is now much closer to correct, the car rides better and the larger tires fill the wells nicer. I did have a problem getting them to install the larger tire but I signed a release and all was good.
Which brand of tires did you choose?

Would you please post some pictures? I'd like to see what it looks like with the larger tire. (I like the look of "filling up" the wheel well.)

In my opinion I think the car drives better, rides better and is quieter with the new tires. Just to be fair, the tires I removed were on the car when I bought it and were pretty worn out.

Attachments

• CIMG6004.JPG
    CIMG6004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
When I recently replaced my tires I kept the same size but went with a Touring style tire rather that a Performance type tire. It improved the ride and reduced road noise considerably.

I agree, the tires can make a huge difference in the ride quality. We had a 2003 Expedition that with new Yokohama all season radials was noisy and rode stiff - (like a truck I suppose.) For the next set, on recommendation of my mechanic, we went with Hankook Dynapro HT's. What a difference! With the Hankook's it was completely quiet, rode smooth and seemed to even track better on the highway - who knew! It basically felt like we were driving (a really big) Town Car.

Back