New stereo fitted to 2002 Thunderbird works with all the systems

I went the easier, if more expensive route. I went to Crutchfield.com and bought a Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX, a Clarion backup camera (because it looked to be the most discrete, smallest, quality one), and custom cables to connect to the steering wheel controls and factory subwoofer and amp. Had Best Buy do the installation, cost $266.00. Works perfectly.

One of the benefits over the older model I have in my smart fortwo is that the bluetooth streaming from my iPhone is seamless. Don't need a cable to connect it, and the phone connectivity is wonderful for calls.

Last edited:
Does the 2002 Thunderbird, or any T-Bird for that matter, use external amplifiers outside of the head unit? I want to use the Alpine and may want to add the Power Pack Amplifier to boost up output. If there is an external amplifier then I would need to run new wires directly to the speakers.
Thanks

I recently had the Alpine unit installed in my T-Bird but I did not buy the Power Pack option. The place that installed it wired it so that it uses the standard Ford amp which is external to the head unit and so it is bypassing the stock Alpine amp. I'm thinking of doing a speaker upgrade soon and if I do, I'll have that remedied and go direct from the Alpine unit to the speakers.

I went the easier, if more expensive route. I went to Crutchfield.com and bought a Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX, a Clarion backup camera (because it looked to be the most discrete, smallest, quality one), and custom cables to connect to the steering wheel controls and factory subwoofer and amp. Had Best Buy do the installation, cost $266.00. Works perfectly.

One of the benefits over the older model I have in my smart fortwo is that the bluetooth streaming from my iPhone is seamless. Don't need a cable to connect it, and the phone connectivity is wonderful for calls.
Having installed my own top-of-the-line system, I can tell you that that price is a bargain....
Its a big PITA routing the wires to the rear to install the backup camera while avoiding all the power top moving parts and then the install requires a relay to "flip" the reverse light trigger signal... Half the trim panels in the car have to be removed and re-installed..

I have a question about installing a new radio. My radio is jumping from am to CD to fm back to am etc. Constantly. Will a new radio solve this or is something else the cause?

Okay if you read the first post I made at the very beginning the parts are listed in that but here they are again, firstly the stereo I replaced it with was this one as it comes with the wires installed ready for the steering wheel controls.

Power Acoustik PDN-626B 6.2" Double-DIN In-Dash GPS Navigation LCD Touchscreen DVD Receiver with Bluetooth Moderator Note- Try this one as well- https://amzn.to/2D6rH4F

Then there is the kit here which enables you to fit the stereo into the hole where your old stereo CD unit would be.

Scosche LN1329B - 2000-06 Lincoln LS / 2002-06 Ford Thunderbird Double DIN Kit

Finally the wiring harness adapter, this is the hardest to figure out the rest is easy.

METRA 70-5519 AMPLIFIER INTERGRATION HARNESS

The back up camera is just a cheap one I got off ebay for a few dollars, it has three wires, one goes to the reversing light so when you put it in reverse it has power to activate, the second goes to earth/ground and the final one is the wire you run the length of your car to connect to the stereo to give it the video feed. You can buy more expensive wireless camera's if you prefer.

PhilD
Hi, can you post any schematics/info you have for hooking up the amplifier? More I've got a harness that 'kind of' fits, and another thing Crutchfield gave me which looks to be a resistor to step down the voltage from 12 to 5 volts. The problem is, the harness has two blue/white wires, and two black/white wires, and I'm not sure how to wire up this or the voltage step down part.

Hi... Had a real bad experience putting in a Radio in my 2004 T-Bird.. Bought stock Pioneer and then upgraded to Kenwood 9707S... Ioved the Kenwood but could not see the screen in daylight. Anybody put in a high end Radio where the screen is very visable in Android auto / google maps.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210522_145000647.jpg
    PXL_20210522_145000647.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210522_145333037.jpg
    PXL_20210522_145333037.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210522_145659400.jpg
    PXL_20210522_145659400.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
You won't see any radio screen in direct sunlight with the top down, in shade, or with either top up - my screen is fine; in fact too bright at night but this high-end kenwood has a dimmer setting for night time viewing. With the top up its bright enough that the camera was a bit overwhelmed in the picture below on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 5
Back