New member ragtopbird02 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

New member ragtopbird02

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtopbird02
  • Start date Start date
ragtopbird02

ragtopbird02

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Just introducing myself to the forum, Ragtopbird02. I'm somewhat of a car nut. I have been restoring many different makes and models of cars for over the last 30 years. At this time, I have 12 cars, all different makes and models, but all ragtop convertibles at this time. Jaguars, Mercedes, Mustangs, Cougars, Excalibur and so on.. No show cars, just fun drivers and almost all are ragtops. I always wanted an old t-bird convertible, but the prices kept me from buying one. Then I saw the new retro birds of 2002-2005 and wanted one of those. Then the prices also kept me from buying one, until I found one that had been used as a daily driver since purchased new in 2002. Not very well taken care of, but priced under $5000. I had to take the plunge and buy it knowing that it might cost me that same amount to get it back to being in daily driver condition.
I've been working on it for over the last 2 months and still am very excited to get this thing driving again. Just so you know, this bird was used very hard and does make for a good example of what could go wrong with these models when not taken car of. Example:, all brakes have to be replaced, that includes calipers, rotors and rubber lines. All struts are completely rusted and one of the front springs was actually broken in half. Ford does not make springs anymore for these cars, so you have to find the few OEM that are left over. Also, I could not find a aftermarket distributor. Lucked out and found 2 OEM ones. All had to be replaced. The drivers seat is completely trashed, I am driving 3 hours this weekend to pick up a used one from a junk yard. No seats in the Midwest area in my color (black with light blue inset).
The engine starts and runs smooth at idle, guess what, starts to miss bad anything over 2000 rpms. New COPs, new MAF sensor, new ICV, new EGR, new Throttle Positioner, new Fuel Filter, finally bought a decent engine analyzer and found that the fuel pressure is under 30psi at idle and does not go over 35 when giving it gas. That is where I'm at, at this point and time. I ordered a new fuel pump and have found that getting the old one out will also be a pain. I need to make a special pump locking cap remover.
The underside of this car has lots of rust on anything that is metal, mostly just surface, but I removed all the rust, used Eastwood encapsulator and then rubber undercoated it. I also found the metal in the front dog leg area rust away and left holes in both sides. I welded new metal in and sealed both rocker panels from the inside, so I hope I will never see any rust again.
Knowing that this car was used and abused, All in all, I still think this car is great and hope that once I repair all the maintenance that the P.O. never did, that this bird will be looking and driving great. Thanks for reading this and hope to have this bird back on the road before spring. Wish me luck.
Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and will keep some update posts of my progress for those who might be undertaking similar projects with a 2002-2005 Thunderbird.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back