May purchase a 2004

mustangshar

mustangshar

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone,

Been reading all the threads and this has really provided me with good information. I saw a Maroon 04 at a Bentley/Lamborghini dealership here is Chicago area. Yeah, talk about intimidating, right? But I went and test drove the 38,000 ride.

I liked it very much, but it had a rough shift into second gear when floored. I put a deposit to Hold and will be scheduling a Ford Service inspection. Was a FL car for 10 years, then went to Iowa. Car was traded in at this dealership on a Shelby. Car fax shows a sideswipe accident in 2011, but the body looked excellent. Car was well maintained and was bought with extended warranty. No hard top which is fine.

After having late model show Mustangs, this will be my first usd car purchase. I always buy new for fear of unpredictable breakdowns.... I know, but I'm on my own so safety always. This will be stored during Winters IF I purchase. Price is 15,880.

It does have bug damage so retouching necessary. I know about the spare tire issues and I go by the age of vehicle more than mileage for repair. What helpful information can you share for me? I'm a gear head from way back in the 70's and love cars!! Currently driving BMW X6

Thanks so much,

Sharon

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This might be biased because you are looking at the same car I bought two months ago online. I’m off to pick it up tomorrow. In my mind the mileage is right in the sweet spot - not so low that you’re afraid to put anything on it, and not so high that it is starting to wear out.

My car has 42,000 miles on it and set me back a little under $14,000 (taking exchange rates into consideration). My car has the hardtop. The sideswipe damage you referenced would make me think the car should be closer to $12,000 but good body shops can do amazing things and there likely wasn’t any structural damage, which is a bigger concern.

A clean bill of health from a reputable Ford dealer should provide the necessary peace of mind you’re seeking. I hope it works out for you.

As Info... Received this info. from “Ford Pass” regarding our ‘04 Pacific Coast. We still have about two years of Ford Preminum Care on it though. Shouldn’t make a difference with the extended coverage. Might help some owners..

F0120697-A3E4-4A72-8CC4-876F03423A04.jpeg

As Info... Received this info. from “Ford Pass” regarding our ‘04 Pacific Coast. We still have about two years of Ford Premium Care on it though.

View attachment 1694

You bought an extended warranty. All manufacturer extensions on factory warranty end after 10 years, which has long since passed.

Ignition coils are by far the biggest problem on these cars you can read more about it here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...005-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Last edited:
This might be biased because you are looking at the same car I bought two months ago online. I’m off to pick it up tomorrow. In my mind the mileage is right in the sweet spot - not so low that you’re afraid to put anything on it, and not so high that it is starting to wear out.

My car has 42,000 miles on it and set me back a little under $14,000 (taking exchange rates into consideration). My car has the hardtop. The sideswipe damage you referenced would make me think the car should be closer to $12,000 but good body shops can do amazing things and there likely wasn’t any structural damage, which is a bigger concern.

A clean bill of health from a reputable Ford dealer should provide the necessary peace of mind you’re seeking. I hope it works out for you.
Thanks so much , can’t WAIT to see pictures of yours
Any transmission issues should not be taken lightly! People have had issues with the tranny on these cars- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/e-code-do-i-need-a-new-transmission.5180/#post-32385
Thanks for the heads up! I’ve had Mustang GTs since 2003 and none of mine ever did that. Will be mentioned at Ford Desler inspection and I will use for negotiations

I have a 2003 that has 70000 that is in the shop as we speak with hard shifting in 1st an d 2nd. So far the transmission has been rebuilt and they are telling me it needs a new pcm. So far I am at $2600.00. Still love the car and after 10 years of ownership ,up to this point I think I have spent under $500.00 in repairs.

Regards
Fred

She sure is pretty. I wish mine had the 16 spoke wheels instead of the 7 spoke chromes, but I’m not complaining. I have a four hour highway run in front of me tomorrow and I’m looking forward to stretching her legs.

Mine is Merlot, as is yours, I believe. There is definitely a metallic finish to the paint. It photographs beautifully in lower light. Be prepared for a lot of positive comment on the colour.

Mine is Merlot, as is yours, I believe. There is definitely a metallic finish to the paint. It photographs beautifully in lower light. Be prepared for a lot of positive comment on the colour.

The one sheet I had from seller said maroon BUT now I'm seeing it as merlot. The gold is beautiful in this paint, wow. You know, WE are very lucky

You beat me to the punch on this one. I called the Bentley dealer while you were having it checked out by Ford. Hope you enjoy it - really looked like a beauty online.

You beat me to the punch on this one. I called the Bentley dealer while you were having it checked out by Ford. Hope you enjoy it - really looked like a beauty online.
You!!!!! There were 2 buyers waiting for me to decide!!! I had to pay list price, they wouldn’t discount knowing they had you all waiting .

The car is very nice, it had been sideswiped per car fax and it’s in a great shop at the moment for paint corrections,brakes, belts and little stuff. Car has the light sand option: bronze toned interior pieces , cream color gauges, all sand colored seats. I just found out about this because I was going to order a wood dash kit. No way now. Really happy this little ole lady got her T Bird

You!!!!! There were 2 buyers waiting for me to decide!!! I had to pay list price, they wouldn’t discount knowing they had you all waiting .

The car is very nice, it had been sideswiped per car fax and it’s in a great shop at the moment for paint corrections,brakes, belts and little stuff. Car has the light sand option: bronze toned interior pieces , cream color gauges, all sand colored seats. I just found out about this because I was going to order a wood dash kit. No way now. Really happy this little ole lady got her T Bird

Glad to hear it went to a good owner! I just found another 2004 Merlot/Sand bird with low miles pop up on CarGurus. It is being sold by a private seller, which concerns me a bit and is about 83 miles from me (in Huntley IL). Price is too high but I will probably contact to get more info. I thought the current owner may be on this site (David Matthis). If anyone knows him or his bird let me know. Thanks and best wishes. Temps next week look like convertavble weather in Chicagoland.

Glad to hear it went to a good owner! I just found another 2004 Merlot/Sand bird with low miles pop up on CarGurus. It is being sold by a private seller, which concerns me a bit and is about 83 miles from me (in Huntley IL). Price is too high but I will probably contact to get more info. I thought the current owner may be on this site (David Matthis). If anyone knows him or his bird let me know. Thanks and best wishes. Temps next week look like convertavble weather in Chicagoland.

We could be twins! Maybe seller would come down after vehicle inspection? I’m about 20 + miles away from Huntley area

We could be twins! Maybe seller would come down after vehicle inspection? I’m about 20 + miles away from Huntley area
I will keep you posted. It has the hardtop, which I actually do not want. If I buy the vehicle and you are interested maybe we could do some business together. Love the color combo!

Back