Magazines with articles & ads

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The January cover of Detroit HOUR magazine features a cool blonde driving a cool blue bird. The caption above the photo reads Road Show - Our auto section goes from the streets to GM's boardroom. Is the General trying to cash in on Ford's star?
smile.gif

February 02 Motor Trend - 2 page ad begining on page 2. Red bird on page 3 (from the Ford Screen saver) lower angle from the driver's side front. Caption - Passion. Always Had It. ALways Will. Has Motor Trend car of the Year trophy on the caption page. Interesting that they pay for 2 full page ads but only use the bottom portion of both.

Anyone else noticed that Ford does not seem to advertise the bird in many car magazines? I subscribe to at least 4 and this is the first ad I can remember from one.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Ford hasn't needed to advertise in the car magazines. Those 'zines have been doing a good job as it is. The ad in Motor Trend was probably a "Thank you" to Motor Trend for naming the 'bird as MT's COTY for 2002.

Of course there are many that would argue, that it is advertising dollars that fuel such things as Car of the Year or Ten Best Lists. We all know that is not the case with this particular car, because it is a genuinely great car.

In the case of the Thunderbird, to this point advertizing has not been what has sold the cars, I'll agree. It has had plenty of "free" relatively positive press in the car mags up till now, but that is certainly on the wain at this point. Ford does not have a great track record of advertising cars well and it would seem these artsy ads in news and womens magazines will probably ultimately end up missing the mark again (assuming the initial hype subsides at some point and they really have to sell the car).
It's like they are conceding that it is only a piece of art and they are really going to try to sell it on looks of the car, not the fact that it is a good car that is pretty to look at.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Was just down at the newsstand and thumbing through some magazines; Feb 2002 Cigar Aficiando has an article on our favorite car. "Reborn Classic" begins on page 94.

Got home last night and the Feb 2002 issue of SMART MONEY mag. Page 114 has a review of the new Tbird, however it's not glowing. I think the writer is a closet 'Vette fan.

Oh well, got my VIN, build date and waiting patiently.

There is an article posted in the 1/18 Detroit News discusses Nancy Gioia's contribution to the Thunderbird program. Among the interesting quotes -

• [*] The T-bird is one of the few Ford vehicles people love so much that they tattoo its trademark wings on their bodies.
    [*] The 25,000 production run sold out in less than six months.
    [*] A 40-member concept team into a 170-member group representing suppliers, material controllers, designers, executives and engineers working out of the Wixom Assembly plant.
    [*]The car took untold hours to unfold, while the team consumed 964 pounds of M & M's.

Saw a new Road and Track Annual Review mag today with a Red Bird on the cover and an article with a black bird featured inside.

Picked up a hardback book at Walden Books today - "Ford Thunderbird: The History of an American Classic" by Roy Bacon. Features a red 57 on the front cover and a yellow concept vehicle on the back cover. Nice little book for a magazine price - $4.99!! Can't beat that.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Daughter picked up the "Ford Thunderbird" book in a buy three get one free deal. Nice book. Also a friend gave me a copy of "DesignNews" with article featured on the cover. "An Icon Returns, Ford revives the classic Thunderbird. Article goes into the design not road test, etc. Not your normal magazine to cover a car.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

Another article was posted in the 1/23 Detroit News about coming T-bird fashion accessories. Interesting footnotes:
  • approximately 50 percent of T-Bird buyers are women
  • T-Bird insiders were cooing lately when Katie Couric, co-anchor of NBC News' Today show took delivery of a new Thunderbird
  • Consumer's Eye hopes the T-Bird fashions are a bigger hit than the Thunderbird watches commissioned by former Ford CEO Jacques Nasser and the old Ford regime. We hear piles of those masculine-looking and expensive T-Bird watches are cluttering up headquarters

Tr, this sounds very interesting. Thanks for finding that, I am curious about the watches they are refering to. ???? The regular Tbird watches are around $35.00

Just found a Nov. 2001 issue of Classic American Home with an article on page 35. It has very few pictures and very little content (only five short paragraphs). It's under their Icons section.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back