instrument cluster quit; speedometer, odometer quit | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

instrument cluster quit; speedometer, odometer quit

• Thread starter Thread starter z06bigbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z
I have a friend who just bought an 03 Bird with 9000 miles on it. After someone detailed the engine, he told me the speedometer quit working. He thinks water got into one or more of the sensors. Anybody have any idea where to start checking this out? (I am not sure what other guages in the cluster quit.)

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Probably the first any of us had heard of this with new birds...However, with 9000 miles I would be suspicious as to why someone thought they had to detail the engine😕 I've got 14,000 and it's very clean under the hood.
If you find out what did it, let us know! Possibly the two are not connected, just a coincidence

The odometer/trip odometer on my '03 went out with just over 500 miles on the car. The mileage and the VIN are stored in a read-only-memory in the computer. When the module was replaced both the mileage and trip totals were correct. I was assured by Ford that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to change the mileage on these cars.

cluster quit working after detailing

Update:
Thanks for all responses.
1. Car's mileage is well documented.
2. Owner has used an extremely fine detail shop, and he instructed them to avoid doing anything under the hood. They screwed up.
3. Owner is engaging a Ford mechanic who moonlights.
4. Owner has shop manuals.
5. I am going to visit with a local Ford service manager.
6. It will be several days prior to me getting back to all on the forum.

Again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back