1966 390 Carb issues

I have a stock 351W in a Galaxie I own and it's a great motor. I've often thought it would well in a TBird. Lots of low end torque and probably lighter than the 390 by 100 pounds or so.

I know my Windsor has been stoked, but what I don't know is how much and if is has been bored.. It is a 1972 Block and I am sure matching heads, so it qualifies as one of the early generations. Just by the seat of the pants feel it is a 325 HP and 400 Ft lbs torque. If I would have gotten the MSD Atomic Display when I purchased it I would know the cubic inches. I do plan on ordering one of those soon. Street Fire ignition and a MSD Mag pick up distributor. AOD Trans and 350 rear gear. It moves down the road really well.. Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread.
Take care
Ed

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ah, this is deserving of a thread of it's own. The 351W is considered a small block however the 351M version used in trucks is looked at as a big block. My Galaxie 500 is a '69 so my understanding is that was the first year of the 351W. I also have a 5.0 Mustang with the AOD tranny and that's a solid little bugger in it's own right. I think the combination makes great sense for a TBird and would give the overdrive gearing we long for. The 390 engine and stock tranny in my '64 TBird are sound so for now I'm good, but that's the direction I will go given the opportunity.

If your smart you will do what I did. Ship it to National carb. in Jacksonville, Fl. It come back new looking and you do not anything but install and drive.

There’s also another place in Florida, Guaranteed Carburetors. There work has a lifetime guarantee and they do honor it should you need future work.

Back