Hard Top Revomal W/Power | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Hard Top Revomal W/Power

• Thread starter Thread starter The Flash
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have to remove/install the hardtop without much help.
So I bought an electric winch from Harbour Frgt. $65. Mounted it to the garage ceiling.
Now, I was not going to pay $300 bucks for a lifting cradle.
I didn't have the ceiling height anyway.

So I got three, suction cup tools. They have a handle with a suction cup on each end. They use them for moving Glass. Cost under $20 bucks for the three. Same place that had the winch had the cups.

I install the 3 suction tools in a pyramid shape to the top, put a rope through the handles so it will balance the top correctly when I lift it. Push the botton and up it goes. Drive the TBird out from under. Or back on.
I put in in the Ford cradle for storage.

I don't know how to put a picture on this post. So if you want to see it you will have to tell me how, or I can E it to you.

The Flash

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Flash: "Spell check"???? Your "Correted" needs it as well

Question for the FLASH

Thought your idea of a power hoist was great--went to Harbor frght, got the winch and suction cups, ( haven't used them yet ), and got to thinking about the paint on the top. Any problem with the suction cups marking the paint?

Tom Horne said:
Question for the FLASH

Thought your idea of a power hoist was great--went to Harbor frght, got the winch and suction cups, ( haven't used them yet ), and got to thinking about the paint on the top. Any problem with the suction cups marking the paint?

If you have wax on the top it shouldn't mark the paint but I don't know if Id trust the suction cups to not let loose & drop the top.

Nope, no marks. Like quickdraw said just use wax.
But I use the wax after I have installed the roof. Not before I use the suction cups.

I have used this system from the start. The car is 2 1/2 years old.
I off and on'd the top three times the first month I had the car just to be sure it would work.
Now the top is off in March, on in November.

I use the over head lift for my motorcycle sometimes, so it doesn't go to waste.

If you would like I can send you photo's of lift being used.
Showing the suction cups installed.
Just E me at flashbflash@********* and I will send them to you. I don't know how to post pics here.

The Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back