Going to see a 2003 this morning | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Going to see a 2003 this morning

• Thread starter Thread starter Tbirdr
  • Start date Start date
I am new at looking at the retro thunderbirds to buy. Are there aspects of the 2003 that I need to pay special attention to? Below is the sellers description:

2003 T-Bird Deluxe....looking for a great sports car ? This V-8 means lots of fun. If you know the latest series's of T-Birds...Ford/ Lincoln put a lot into these cars from the factory, has the ride of a Lincoln and the performance of a Mustang. Interior is Leather with heated seats dual pass Heat A/C. It has 54,000 miles on it. It comes with the hardtop which was a 5000.00 extra, and becomes a convertible on demand. New tires ,fresh inspection clean machine.asking $12,999

The color is grey exterior with tan seats. My first negative thought is excessive mileage. Other than that, l cannot think of anything else. Am I correct about the mileage? From the photos I’ve seen, they fit the sellers description, also any thoughts on a good price for myself and the seller?
Thanks everyone, Vince (tbirdr)

I agree with everything said here so far. That 54K miles averages out to less that 4K miles per year but definitely check the car out in person, make sure all of the recalls were done and check the maintenance records if any exist. Car Fax helps establish if there were any accidents reported. I have a 2004 and put 2K into it when I got it in 2013 since the previous owner didn't do the recalls and tech bulletin recommendations. Make sure the air and heat work, the convertible top works and is in good shape, take it for a ride and yes the spare as has been said. I love the car and enjoy driving it, it is a head turner for those that remember the T-bird. Good Luck!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check to make sure everything is working as it is suppose too. Especially check everything electrical. Lights go on and off as supposed to and only work when they are suppose to etc. Check electric seats heaters, rear window defrost, AC, radio, climate control, windshield washer, etc. If something is amiss don't assume it is a minor problem with a simple fix. Nothing is simple on these things.

You know about the COPs. Put it up on rack and check ball joints, control arms, all rubber bushings. Tbirds and Lincoln LSs are notorious for bad suspension parts. Also the plastic parts on the cooling system are prone to cracking and leaking.

Good luck, just remember these things aren't hot sellers so if things don't check out - walk and find another one.

Your best bet is always to have a trusted mechanic go through the entire car and give you a list and cost estimate for needed repairs. Realizing that this is not always possible I ask to see receipts. If they produce a folder full, showing ongoing maintenance and repair (especially addressing the items we know are an issue - COPS, etc.) then I'm a lot more comfortable with the car. If no receipts I assume it has been neglected and needs EVERYTHING - and make a cash offer accordingly. Also, just because it is at a dealer vs. a private seller, don't assume it is okay to go. Most times they take it on a trade, detail it to make it clean and shiny and push it out on the lot. Lastly, I agree with tbird, CARFAX is nearly worthless in my experience. (I only say nearly because if you run one and do happen to see a collision repair entry then you know to walk away.) I've been handed a clean CARFAX at a used car lot but when I opened the hood I could clearly see evidence of a massive front end collision with a beat out wrinkled core support and replacement parts (with the barcode tags on them.)

Back