Going to see a 2003 this morning

T

Tbirdr

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am new at looking at the retro thunderbirds to buy. Are there aspects of the 2003 that I need to pay special attention to? Below is the sellers description:

2003 T-Bird Deluxe....looking for a great sports car ? This V-8 means lots of fun. If you know the latest series's of T-Birds...Ford/ Lincoln put a lot into these cars from the factory, has the ride of a Lincoln and the performance of a Mustang. Interior is Leather with heated seats dual pass Heat A/C. It has 54,000 miles on it. It comes with the hardtop which was a 5000.00 extra, and becomes a convertible on demand. New tires ,fresh inspection clean machine.asking $12,999

The color is grey exterior with tan seats. My first negative thought is excessive mileage. Other than that, l cannot think of anything else. Am I correct about the mileage? From the photos I’ve seen, they fit the sellers description, also any thoughts on a good price for myself and the seller?
Thanks everyone, Vince (tbirdr)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I believe these cars are made to be driven and a 14 year old car with 54k miles is not excessive. My advice is to check the spare. Those fall apart on the truck and are often over looked.

The spare tire is definitely an issue. If it was manufactured in 2003 it probably isn't very safe. Check the Carfax! That tells you the history.

I am new at looking at the retro thunderbirds to buy. Are there aspects of the 2003 that I need to pay special attention to? Below is the sellers description:

2003 T-Bird Deluxe....looking for a great sports car ? This V-8 means lots of fun. If you know the latest series's of T-Birds...Ford/ Lincoln put a lot into these cars from the factory, has the ride of a Lincoln and the performance of a Mustang. Interior is Leather with heated seats dual pass Heat A/C. It has 54,000 miles on it. It comes with the hardtop which was a 5000.00 extra, and becomes a convertible on demand. New tires ,fresh inspection clean machine.asking $12,999

The color is grey exterior with tan seats. My first negative thought is excessive mileage. Other than that, l cannot think of anything else. Am I correct about the mileage? From the photos I’ve seen, they fit the sellers description, also any thoughts on a good price for myself and the seller?

Heres my 2 cents. I would check other websites, everything from local craigslist to cargurus.com and ebay. Sounds like a reasonable price though, i would offer 10.5k and go from there. I got my 2002 tbird with 26k miles for 12000. Its immaculate and a head turner. I bought it 4 years ago and have only put 2000 miles on her. I would ask to see maintenance records and a carfax. These cars are known for fuel pump failure. Mine went out a year after i bought it. I am a doit yourself guy and fixed by myself. Dealer wanted 2600 bucks with 90 day warranty. I did the oreillys auto parts pump for 109 bucks and i got lifetime warranty. So far this is the only problem i have ever had for 4 years of ownership. This forum is a gold mine of info and expertise/ideas. My final opinion: if your heart says go for it then wait a couple of days then make your decision. These tbirds really are peppy on the road. Good luck. Phil

I got my 2002 tbird with 26k miles for 12000. Its immaculate and a head turner. I bought it 4 years ago and have only put 2000 miles on her. Phil
I have to ask, is there a reason why you don't drive it? Is see so many people who buy these cars and never drive them. I put 200 miles a week on mine

As far as the mileage , mine has 76000 and runs and looks perfect.
The price here in Ilinois about 1 year ago for this car would have been $19000.
So it seems as though prices have dropped quite a bit.
Make sure the CD player works with all 6 CDs and check all the other bells and whistles.
This is one of the things that go wrong with the birds.
Drive it, if you like it buy it, but if you plan on someone other than your self doing any Repairs when needed, plan on spending $$$$$$$$$.
Hope this nelps.....

I have to ask, is there a reason why you don't drive it? Is see so many people who buy these cars and never drive them. I put 200 miles a week on mine
Yes Gus, I will drive it. Thanks

Check the Carfax! That tells you the history.
Carfax is a joke. The car needs to be seen by a mechanic and/or bodyshop professional to really find out about the car.

News reports on Carfax
https://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/check-carfax-18743237
https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/investigation-completeness-carfax-reports-20173271

Amazes me that people will spend thousands of dollars and not pay 75.00-100.00 for a mechanic to look over the car prior to purchasing.

Always the luck of the draw when buying a used car. Bought my 2004 two years ago, 128K miles, and not a hiccup during the 3000 I have added to it. No hard top, new soft top, brakes, cooling system, several COPS, all at House of Ford. $8K. I'm happy.

I bought my 2002 for 8K with 120K miles. Runs fine with no issues, looks near new. It's the luck of the draw. Some birds seem to have a lot of problems and some don't. Mine came with a 4" stack of service records, nothing unusual.
Check everything, make sure everything works as it should, that's what's going to cost you big $.

I agree with Tbird. I paid a mechanic to look at mine before buying, ~$100, found bad tires (knew) and missing shield where the water enters the engine compartment and kills COPs, warned me against buying because of orphan by Ford. bought at $13,400 with new tires. Had 45,000 miles when bought. driven 3,000 since, replaced shield and COPs, valve cover gaskets, charged A/C, stabilized gas and drive it like I bought it, not stole it. Still a few little things like the handbrake boot and touch up some chips but it has been fun. Was comforted by this site to know that short of body parts, most things that are orphaned are obtainable somehow. Thank you everyone here.

Bottom line: spend what you can afford - from $0k (dont buy the car) to $mid teens (average purchase for one these days it seems) to god knows how much Sierra997 has spent on his beautiful car.

Check it over for unusual noises. My 2004 had bad rear wheel bearings at 47000 and the air conditioner has been iffy. Also look for oil leaks and other little things. However if you like the car the price is good and these cars are great sunny day top down cruisers. I would not recommend for a daily driver but many are. They do require a little attention but mine has really been a pleasure.

Good question. Actually i work alot and have 2 classic cars. One the tbird and the other a 1966 Pontiac GTO tripower. I always get asked by my car buddies to take the gto to the shows. Yes she wins all the time. I dont drive tbird too much and i even thought on selling it just because of that. Its a beautiful car and it get lots of looks and questions when i do drive it. I still am thinking on selling her.

Carfax is a joke. The car needs to be seen by a mechanic and/or bodyshop professional to really find out about the car.

News reports on Carfax
https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/investigation-completeness-carfax-reports-20173271

Amazes me that people will spend thousands of dollars and not pay 75.00-100.00 for a mechanic to look over the car prior to purchasing.

News reports on Carfax

News reports on Carfax

Thanks third for the news reports on Carfax , that really supports your claim that a inspection by a professional is absolutely necessary, thanks again

I have a 2003 with 65k miles. Got a killer deal because it needed some paint work. These are finicky cars at best.
-Plan to become very familiar with the COP (coil over plug) issue and just replace them on first sign on engine misfire and faltering.
-There are 4 oxygen sensors on exhaust. They likely will all need replacing. If not now, soon.
-Door ajar sensor switches wear out and cause erratic window operation. Pretty easy to replace, but R and L are different part numbers.
-Known transmission issues. Research that on this site.
-Known suspension bushing wear (replace) issues.
-Known CD player failures. (mine still works!)
- Must leave battery tender on battery if you store it over winter. Constant electrical draw.
-Common Front End Module (computer) failure will cause odd behavior with radio, window operation, windshield wipers.
-Known common cooling system leaks due to #$%^#$ PLASTIC air intake. Does not last. will crack with age.
-Chrome wheels and windshield trim parts tend to start coming off. Don't know why, but it's annoying. Trim pieces avail on eBay.

That's been my experience in my 1 year of ownership. Having said that, this is a relatively rare classic and getting more rare. Turns heads all the time and especially makes me smile with a pretty girl in the passenger seat - driving around with the top down on a sunny day. TOTALLY WORTH IT. :)

My wife and I bought ours 3 weeks ago

Back