Engine surge | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Engine surge

• Thread starter Thread starter glueski
  • Start date Start date
G
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have had a couple of occasions whem my 2002 T-Bird's engine surged and the wheels spun out. Quickly stopped. Any ideas ?
Idle Air Bypass Valve ? Mechanic cannot replicate, no error messages on diagnostics.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have had a couple of occasions whem my 2002 T-Bird's engine surged and the wheels spun out. Quickly stopped. Any ideas ?
Idle Air Bypass Valve ? Mechanic cannot replicate, no error messages on diagnostics.

Interesting, this just happened to my 2005 TB about two weeks ago. I started it, began backing up, all seemed normal, put it into drive and the engine surged. I had my foot on the brake so the wheels didn't spin out. Anyway, the engine then died so I put it into neutral and restarted. While driving the next twelve miles, the car acted sluggish causing me to believe I had a transmission problem of some sort. Hard to give details about it as I'm not a mechanic but can say it felt sluggish, no pep, hesitation in all gears. I arrived and told my friends that at 134,000 plus miles, I may be in need of a new transmission. After a few hours with them, I then restarted my car for home. Bingo, the car drove as it always has, smooth shifting and the like. All I could guess was the computer reset itself. I've not had the problem again, so haven't taken it in for a checkup.

Back