1956 engine oil leak

Thunderbird Year
My mechanic says that these old cars had many leaks because the gaskets were rope and not the type of gaskets they use today. Has anyone else had this problem and should I have the faulty gaskets replaced with the modern type gaskets or as a friend suggested a heavier cork gasket which was available for the older corvettes of the same vintage. Have others with 55, 56, and 57 T birds had similar engine oil leaks and from where mostly? the valve covers seem OK the oil pan is where I suspect the leaks but I have not had the car up on a lift yet. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thunderbird Year
Very common problem. I think there are two types of seals available: the older rope type, and a newer composite. Some speak highly of each type, and is a matter of installation.

1957Bird

Thunderbird Year
Most common 312 Y block oil leak is unfortunately the rear main seal.
IMO the only replacement kit worth the time to install is from Prestige Thunderbird in California. Definitely not the cheapest but in my opinion the best available. Can be done with engine in the car but you need to pack a fair amount of patience.