Interesting review here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
For decades fans of the classic 1955-57 Thunderbird two-seater gave up seeing another such car—especially since T-Bird sales soared when the car provided much broader appeal after becoming a four-seater in 1958.

But competition from successful European and Japanese two-seaters and a booming economy in the 1990s finally convinced Ford that it should return the Thunderbird to its two-seat roots.

That, and the fact that Ford could use a modified version of the rear-drive platform from its European-style Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-TYPE sedans—along with the LS V8 and dashboard—to hold down costs.

However, there's no shame in parts sharing. Ford liberally raided parts bins of its conventional Ford and Mercury models to get components for the original Thunderbird two-seaters, introduced to battle the much starker Chevrolet Corvette sports car. Not Cheap
Despite parts sharing, the Thunderbird convertible is hardly inexpensive, costing from $34,965 for the Deluxe soft-top version with no removable hardtop to $38,465 for the slightly higher-line Premium version with the hardtop, which costs extra for the base trim.

Virtually all Thunderbirds are being ordered with the hardtop, which has "porthole" windows like those used by the original two-seater.

The Thunderbird is well equipped, but count on dealers loading it with extras to make extra bucks. Dressing up the interior with color accent packages costs up to an additional $800. A traction control system is a $230 option for the Deluxe trim (with the hardtop), although the system is standard on the Premium version, with or without the hardtop. Traction control is needed because this is a powerful, rear-wheel-drive car.

Tight Supplies
Tight supplies mean you can count on dealer price gouging and/or long waits with the T-Bird—one of those "be-first-on-the-block-to-own-one" cars. Consider that a special run of $41,465 specially trimmed Neiman Marcus Edition models were quickly snapped up. And Ford says it will hold T-Bird production to levels that will keep the car pretty exclusive, or about 25,000 cars a year.

But, after all, the old Thunderbird two-seater is an icon. The car even looked good until the mid-1960s, although no four-seat model captured the magic of the original. The fact that low sales caused Ford to drop the T-Bird after the 1997 model year hasn't dented the Thunderbird nameplate's magical appeal.

Retro and Modern
The 2002 Thunderbird is a deft blend of retro styling and modern mechanical features. Some cars look great in any setting, but the Thunderbird looks markedly better on the street; that's where it can stand out from other cars, rather than on the crowded auto show floors where it has been displayed.

Still, some T-Bird critics dislike the car's laid-back headlights, long rear end and bland dashboard.

Mickey D'Armi, Ford's Thunderbird brand manager, said the automaker consulted with fans of the original Thunderbird two-seater to see what they wanted in the new version. "For one thing, they called for the optional 'porthole-window' hardtop because they feel it's an integral part of the car," D'Armi said.

The power convertible top lowers quickly and has a heated glass window. There isn't much wind disturbance at highway speeds when it's down. But occupants who exit in the rain will find that the soft-top drips water on them.

Removing the fairly heavy hardtop is a two-person job, and it must be left behind when taken off. However, it clamps on fairly easily, with no need to hook up electrical connections.

Retro Cues
The 2002 Thunderbird shares an "egg crate" grille, hood scoop and phony front fender vents with the original two-seater. The rear has the swept-back fenders and bullet-style taillights of early 1960s Thunderbirds. Of course, there are dual exhausts—also found on the original T-Bird.

Most body panels are plastic, but the T-Bird looks like an all-steel car. Bumps bring out some cowl shake, and the doors sound awfully tinny when closed with the windows down. However, the overall feel is solid.

Livening Up Interior
Interior color option packages with such items as an exterior color dashboard and seat inserts really liven up the fairly roomy cockpit, which has comfortable seats.

Nifty brushed aluminum trim panels on the dash and door panels help disguise the fact that the T-Bird's basically dull dashboard design and center console are shared with the LS. The main gauges look plain and need larger numbers to make them easier to read, although their aqua-colored needles are a nice retro feature.

Radio and climate controls are large enough for easy operation and there are big console-mounted cupholders. Integrated armrests on doors are wide and flat, but interior storage space is minimal. Although long, the trunk is shallow and has a rather high opening.

Exceeds Expectations
So how does this car drive? Much better than you might suspect for an auto mainly designed to be a stylish, laid-back cruiser—just like the original two-seater. It's no sports car, but it isn't meant to be. Most drivers should feel at home almost immediately in the Thunderbird, which is the sign of a good cruiser.

The power steering is quick, although a bit stiff. The shortened, beefed-up LS/ S-TYPE platform lets the supple, all-independent suspension and big wheels and tires deliver good handling and a smooth ride, although it gets a little floaty on road irregularities such as dips. The anti-lock brakes are powerful and have good pedal feel.

The relaxed Thunderbird doesn't discourage aggressive driving, but does not encourage it, either.

Quick Acceleration
The T-Bird weighs a hefty 3,775 pounds, with its large body and generous amount of comfort and convenience items. But the LS' sophisticated 3.9-liter V8 whisks the car from 0-60 mph in about 7 seconds, with a flat torque curve for good response at all speeds.

The quad-camshaft 32-valve engine works well with a responsive 5-speed automatic transmission. No manual gearbox is offered because Ford says demand for it would be very low. Few buyers of the 1955-57 model ordered the available manual transmission.

Fuel economy is in the mid-teens in the city and about 25 mpg on the highway.

For the most part, the new Thunderbird is what you would expect a modern version of the original two-seater to be. Good job.

------------------
**********, **************************

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I found the review by Dave Jalinek of MSNBC-guess it didn't put his name in there-OOPS!

I'll be in Dearborn the afternoon of the 5th, staying at the Super 8. Are you folks going to be there overnight? If so-let's set up a meet for that evening!! Email me with the details.

------------------
**********, **************************

Originally posted by Birdman93:
[...]Mickey D'Armi, Ford's Thunderbird brand manager, said the automaker consulted with fans of the original Thunderbird two-seater to see what they wanted in the new version. [...]
Mr. Jalinek needs an update. From a recent correspondence with MD regarding some promotional materials
[...]I've since moved off of the T-Bird program, but I'll pass this along to the new Brand Manager, and see what I can dig up to support your event. The new Brand Manager is named Bob Fesmire, and he's a satisfied T-Bird owner like you [...]
It looks like Mickey got a promotion out of the Thunderbird campaign since his new title is Car Group Marketing Manager.

Can't say it was a "promotion." If you have been watching the news, you'll find that nearly all of the management people associated with Nasser are either being moved to other positions, or resigning/being fired. The latest to fall was the gentleman Nasser put in charge of Ford's Financial programs. Seems the guy took advantage of the position's perks, and also accepted a good number of bad loans-Ford estimates losses of 350 million in loans that have not been paid off by their creditors.

I really hope that Bill makes good on his promise to turn it around (the company).

As far as being out of date-Mickey only moved 3 weeks ago-and the newest MM&FF magazine says that Ford has no plans on building the GT-40, when Ford announced only 2 weeks ago that they WOULD be building the GT-40.

To me, the fact of the matter was that I thought you would all like to see what is being said about the Thunderbird. I guess that was a mistake on my part.

For the past few weeks, it seems that the info I come up with is either answered jokingly-as in when I asked for help on possibilities for celebrity guests for Thunder, or you get nitpicky about an item because it is "out of date.

The Birdman has permanently exited the building-if you want to see what I and the folks at Ford have to say about the Bird, you'll have to read the Scoop.

Goodbye

frown.gif
Birdman93, I know that some comments can be a little off color, but I feel maybe you may take them a little too presonal. I haven't heard any really bad things sense GW was on the board.Hope you change your mind!

PS, I did enjoy the article

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

-

Folks: This is not a place to be sensitive about comments. It's a discussion group for gosh sakes, not a popularity contest. I don't see anything on the posts here that prompted Birdman93 to get bent out of shape this time, (the second time he has left). If we aren't free to post what we want to, what's the point of having an open discussion as long as we are on topic? I know that nobody here intentionally puts anyone else down for their views and comments. If we what is said as a personal afront, then we are the ones at fault, not the writer. The only problem with a written discussion group is that our comments are made without help of facial or hand expressions that can sometimes soften or augment what we are saying. Words are just that --- words. Let's not bring personal egos into this. It is simply wrong!

Huh? I replied to the content of the article. No criticism was intended of either Tony or the author.

I wouldn't even have brought it up except that Mickey D'Armi has been one of the most visible and helpful contacts inside the T-bird program. Many people on the board have had personal communications with him to resolve problems and get information. I thought people should be aware of the change.

Sorry if you were offended, Tony. Your contributions are appreciated by me and everyone else. I hope there are no hard feelings.

mad.gif
Mark501, BACK OFF, Tony has been a great contributor to our site. I don't mean to come down on you but from what I can see you are new to our site. This person has given a great deal to this site and for what it is worth, I can't see anyone comming down on him. Just some people are more senative then others. I have been here, on the old Bon site and back to this site before it became the one to go to. All I'm saying is be a little more understanding with people on this site if you don't know them.
smile.gif

PS, Watch that age thing, a lot of us are over the 1/2 century mark.
Thanks, Just Be Cool, (MY Age Again)

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

I 2nd that. Tony's comments and input have been invaluable, and a great source of comfort and information over the past ..... I can't even remember how long now. If you're reading Tony; stay away on your own account if you want to, but don't stay away on our account. I for one am going to feel the loss.

GoBird...

I was at BON, and have probably been here longer than you. I speak with authority when I say that this is juvenile behavior.

No one was offensive to this guy, he just has a problem.

He did offer some good input, but children act the way this dude is acting.

I will never back off from expressing my opinion or allowing you to express yours.

Mark 501

Mark, well that is yours and this is mine.I don't want to get into a confutation with you or anyone else. Just stating My opinion.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

frown.gif
I guess, here we go again, the family is having a disagreement. This Will happen. In the best of familes.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

-

Tony posted a thread asking if any of us had any good ideas on celebrities with Thunderbird ties that he could ask to come to the Thunder on 66 Mid-Point party. I and a couple of other people joked on who we could ask. Tony thought we were not taking his posts seriously. I apologized this morning to Tony while instant messaging with him and will again right here and now publicly. Tony I apologize for joking on your celebrity thread. No harm was meant. Everybody on this board is or was in the same boat awaiting delivery of their Thunderbird. Some have waited a year and some have waited 3 years. Some have taken delivery & some are still waiting. I thought a little humor would help with the wait and in no way was it intended on belittling your thread. Again I'm sorry Tony. Don't come back just on my behalf, but for all the other people on this forum who enjoy your knoweledge of the Thunderbird past & present. Your discussions with Bill Ford and other Ford executives, your parts knoweledge, and the wealth of people you know through **** bring lots of interesting facts & figures to this board that I would hate to see all these people miss out on because of a couple of jokes that were meant to be harmless. Please re-consider your decision.

Lon

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Let me state my opinion. I reviewed all the threads in question....including the one about potential celebrities for Thunder on 66.
None...let me restate...none of the posts were, in any way, offensive or even slightly objectionalbe. If someone is too immature to deal with this rather benign forum, then so be it. We have apparently gotten rid of the only person who was causing trouble (can you spell GW) and life is too short and the car is too terrific to have a forum like this that has to deal wth immature and overly sensitive personalities. This is the second time he has "left the building". Sayonara, Elvis.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue/premium on order: 10 of 18

-

I have to agree with all those who think this is childish...and to be begging him to come back on top of it? I myself saw nothing offensive in the comments that were made.

Most of you people have never met Tony. I did two weekends ago when he invited me to a club meeting and a steak dinner to boot. Tony is a great guy, and he kind of reminds me of John Balushi and he even talks like him. He has a passion for tbirds and making the route 66 thing a real event. Cut him some slack and help him out. Maybe we can talk him into a toga party on the trip.Seriously, Tony is a great contributor!!!! Best to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back